Start by marking “Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas, #7)” as Want to Read:
Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas, #7)

Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas #7)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  11 reviews
While doing community service at a homeless shelter, librarian Helma Zukas is investigating a rash of thefts when a body is found and she is fingered as a suspect.
Published December 1st 1999 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Best Bibliomystery Books
37th out of 108 books — 67 voters
Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Brothers K by David James DuncanThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Pacific Northwest Books
393rd out of 472 books — 283 voters

More lists with this book...

Spuddie
#7 Helma Zukas mystery. Helma once again is around when a dead body is discovered--this time at the local men's shelter/soup kitchen where she's been sentenced to serve community service for refusing to pay a ticket that she feels was not deserved.

The body is that of Quinton Boyd, a local financier and property developer who served on the Mission's board of directors and was at the Mission for a meeting. A young man who stays at the mission occasionally confesses to killing Boyd, but he is a si
KarenC
Oct 15, 2011 KarenC rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of "cozy" mysteries
Recommended to KarenC by: series
Bringing order from chaos no matter where she goes, Miss Zukas digs in at a local mission for the homeless to do community service instead of pay a traffic ticket. As in previous books in the series, Miss Z also brings a dead body, not literally with her, but one turns up at the mission.
Dereske writes in a logical, gentle style as Miss Zukas tackles the mystery of who killed a local philanthropist associated with both the mission where he was found, and with the library. Various theories are fl
Don Jacobson
Miss Helma Zukas is a librarian who solves local mysteries. Helma is sentenced to work in a homeless shelter after (wrongly, of course) being convicted of a traffic violation. A Board member of the Mission is shot to death just outside the Mission on his way to a meeting. He was also on the Library Board trying to get various books banned and Helm spoke out against his views. She is then a suspect after someone writes an anonymous letter accusing her of the crime. Recommended.
Barbara
I enjoyed this little romp in Bellehaven, Washington with Miss Zukas. Her traffic ticket from the last novel results in a stint of public service at a rescue mission... which of course, predictably as going to a bake sale with Jessica Fletcher... turns up a dead body.

The twist this time involves someone pointing a finger at Miss Zukas herself as a possible suspect... and we find out something surprising about the "artsy" size of Helma!
Kristi Thompson
Very light read. Very stereotyped, two-dimensional characters. Miss Zukas is a librarian. See her catalog her household belongings! See her research how to pack her knapsack! Bleh.

The minor characters were mildly amusing, although the fiction children's librarian, somewhere between airhead, Baby Spice and actual toddler, and Director Moon the utter new age crystal freak - who hired her? - also suffered from stereotypitis.
Susan
What she considers to be an unjust traffic fine ends with Miss Helma Zukas, Bellehaven librarian, doing community service at the local mission. Her first night there, one of the men finds a murdered body. Unfortunately, the man murdered is someone Helma recently had a public dispute with--in fact, some might call it an argument. The police chief really doesn't suspect Helma, but some people do.
Susan
I'm a fan of the Miss Zukas series although I realize it's not for everyone. I find the caricature of the librarian amusing although Miss Zukas is certainly loosening up as the series progresses. This cozy mystery was a fun read.
Dalia Woodliff
Helma refuses to pay a fine and is sentenced to 50 hours of community service at the mission ladling soup. A body is found and she is the prime suspect but she senses there's something wrong at this mission and she will find out.
Patricia
I enjoy this series. I enjoy the characters. I love when unexpected things happen in their life that have nothing to do with the mystery, like putting Helma's art on display at her show to benefit the kids at the shelter.

Laurie
Enjoyable 'cozy' mystery series. Helma Zukas, librarian extraordinaire, helps solve murders in small town, WA. This time she & her wacky friend Ruth get involved in a murder at a homeless mission.
Shaunesay Eslanai
Not my favorite of the series, but still good.
Yvonne Decker
Yvonne Decker marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Home of the Braised (A White House Chef Mystery, #7)
  • Fixing to Die
  • Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #7)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • Introducing Aunt Dimity, Paranormal Detective: The First Two Books in the Beloved Series
  • Killer in Crinolines
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Wave Good-bye

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...
Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1) Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2) Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3) Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9) Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)