Start by marking “Halloween Hoots and Howls” as Want to Read:
Halloween Hoots and Howls

Halloween Hoots and Howls

A Frankenstein who shops at the grocery store. A ghost who’s afraid of ghosts. A witch with a turbo broomstick. These are just a few of the quirky ghouls and goblins children will meet in this playful picture book brimming with holiday cheer.
     Joan Horton’s silly, spooky poems and JoAnn Adinolfi’s whimsical illustrations capture the spirit and excitement trick-or-treate
Published August 19th 2008 by Square Fish (first published October 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Hoots and Howls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Hoots and Howls

Allie
Feb 17, 2014 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another great seasonal poetry book. The students would really enjoy reading all the fun and spooky poems. I would use this for their fluency during fall time. Not all of the poems are Halloween related, for those students who do not celebrate Halloween. I would send a copy of a poem home with each student on Monday and then on Friday the students can preform the poem for the whole class. I would choose specific poems for mini lessons with my students such as rhyming, syllables and phrasi ...more
Shelbi Hardin
I would teach about word choice and conventions while using this mentor text.
Renee Slawson
Oct 01, 2016 Renee Slawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I chose to put this book on my favorites shelf because it is a fun read for children. This book is colorful, has fun poems, and makes reading enjoyable for youngsters. The poems are interesting to read because they are short, silly and placed on the pages in a fun fashion. This book is great for students in intermediate grades, as some of the words may not be understood by younger students. Teachers can use this book when teaching about poetry.

Genre: Poetry/Rhymes/Children

I would like to use thi
Erika Stauch
This book hasn't won any awards. It is great for grades PreK-2. This book is full of many seasonal poems. It has frankestien who goes grocery shopping. A ghost who is afraid of ghosts. Also a witch who has a turbo broom stick. This characters are few of the many in the story book. This book is great for young children. It is full of funny poems and characters. It is seasonal so it would be great for a halloween of fall unit and activities. I would use this book in my classroom to help children w ...more
Bailey Schmidt
Sep 27, 2016 Bailey Schmidt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
Super fun Halloween themed poem book. I loved the format of the book, each page was a new poem with a new description of something Halloween related. I would have this in my classroom and read it as the holiday approaches. This could be a fun way of creating a guessing game for students as each poem doesn't exactly say what it is describing but gives very good clues. The poetry would also be great for classroom use!
Eden
Feb 13, 2012 Eden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts, skeletons, Frankenstein and more in this silly book of Halloween poetry.

I enjoyed the silly and fun poems in this book along with the colorful illustrations. This is a perfect for children to read for Halloween that isn't scary.
Jackie
Halloween Hoots and Howls is a collection of not-too-scary halloween stories for young people. Funny, colorful illustrations accompany each poem.

Used for "Fall for Pumpkins" storytime- October, 2009.
Dolly
Nov 01, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous collection of Halloween-themed poems - they are short, rhyming, and fun to read aloud. The illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. We enjoyed reading them together, and we chucked at the epitaphs on the gravestones on the endpapers.
Liza Gilbert
Aug 01, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Dull rhyming text and entirely too bland illustrations leave this book flat.
Katie Casey
A collection of silly Halloween rhymes.
Monique Mcdonald
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Malachi
Malachi rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Kelli Bowen
Kelli Bowen rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Geni
Geni rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2011
Cara
Cara rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2008
Elizabeth Muller
Elizabeth Muller rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Meredith Liddick
Meredith Liddick rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 08, 2017
Carissa
Carissa rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014