Start by marking “Ground Zero” as Want to Read:
Ground Zero

Ground Zero (X-Files #3)

3.41  ·  Rating Details ·  1,537 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Dr. Gregory, a renowned nuclear weapons researcher, is not only dead--he's been charred to a radioactive cinder.

Since this is a death on Federal property, Mulder and Scully are hastily called in. As FBI agents who specialize in unexplained phenomena, they are the investigators of The X-Files, strange and inexplicable cases which are also mysteries that the FBI doesn't want
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published June 19th 1996 by HarperEntertainment (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ground Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ground Zero

Dolly
Jun 25, 2008 Dolly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: X-Files fans
Not a very memorable book. I would recommend this only for hard-core X-Files fans.
Monse
Mar 12, 2015 Monse rated it it was ok
2.5
Está mejor escrito y mejor detallado que los anteriores libros de X Files, las caracterizaciones de Mulder y Scully también están mejor hechas. Se nota que por lo menos Anderson vio capítulos de la serie e hizo investigación. Lástima que inventó algunas cosas sobre el background de Scully que no me gustaron. (view spoiler) Esta vez por suerte tampoco hay
Rebecca McNutt
Not bad, but much of it is just filler, and works like a promo for the X-Files franchise.
Dean Morgan
Dec 24, 2014 Dean Morgan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I am a huge fan of the X-Files, but this awesome TV show has not been on TV for years. Nonetheless, I still watch the re-runs and I can't get enough of the stories and the main characters. The X-Files book series is a cool way to stay connected with the characters and TV show. I read another book in this series, by a different author, and I was less than impressed. I then read "X-Files: Ground Zero," by Kevin J. Anderson, and I was pleasantly surprised. Keep in mind, ...more
George
Oct 12, 2015 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Βαθμολογία: 7.5/10

Τρίτο αυτοτελές μυθιστόρημα της σειράς X-Files, πρώτο που συγγραφέας είναι ο γνωστός στο είδος της επιστημονικής φαντασίας και του Φανταστικού, Κέβιν Τζ. Άντερσον (π.χ. The Saga of Seven Suns, μυθιστορήματα Star Wars κλπ). Μου φάνηκε αρκετά καλύτερο των δυο προηγούμενων βιβλίων, πιο καλογραμμένο και σίγουρα πιο χορταστικό. Φυσικά θα πρέπει κανείς να μην σκεφτεί και πολύ κατά πόσο στέκουν όλα αυτά τα υπερφυσικά και κουλά γεγονότα της ιστορίας, για να απολαύσει την ιστορία.

Ο διακ
Christopher Hivner
May 03, 2012 Christopher Hivner rated it really liked it
In Ground Zero Mulder and Scully investigate the mysterious deaths of two people involved with a secret government project that involves a new type of nuclear device and an above ground test that is against international law. They manage to get a trip to the test site to watch the detonation. Once there they meet up with one of their suspects, a scientist turned nuclear protester and her friend, a blind man whose skin is covered in burn scars and who carries the secret to what has been ...more
JuliannaM
Mar 06, 2016 JuliannaM rated it liked it
Great, quick read for fans of the ever classic TV series "The X Files". As a fervent, second generation Phile, of course, I have a certain bias when it comes to my two favourite federal agents; however, I maintain that, for a mass market serial publication, Ground Zero is witty, entertaining, and reasonably intelligently written. I'll admit that I had to Google a few dated references, but the 90s nostalgia is simply too rich to pass up...
Kate
Apr 08, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
I read this back in my days as an X-phile... don't remember too much about it, so it can't have been that great, but I don't remember hating it, so... I think I just preferred to watch Mulder instead of reading about him.
Lisa
Sep 03, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally really enjoyed this book. I could see how others would find it boring but I liked it so I guess that's what matters! :D
Timothy McNeil
There are several problems with Ground Zero .

There is the engineer/nuclear physicist who doesn't know how an internal combustion engine or microwave oven works. UC Berkeley, a state school, is described as having a high tuition cost (one can argue whether or not $1200/year would have been exorbitant, but it is about 11% of what Harvard would have been charging at the time). The USS Dallas is a Spruance class destroyer (no Spruance class ships are named after American cities) in a novel that in
Dale
Aug 06, 2012 Dale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Duration: approximately 3 hours
Read by Gillian Anderson
Abridged

So, how can I say this succinctly and clearly?

The abridged audiobook of The X-Files: Ground Zero is not good. It is bad. It is not well read. It has few of the best qualities of the TV show.

Read by Gillian Anderson, the abridged audiobook clocks in at about 3 hours and read unenthusiastically by Gillian Anderson. One of the reasons I picked this one up is that I figured she'd read it well. It says it was recorded in Vancouver in
Gavin Felgate
Aug 31, 2016 Gavin Felgate rated it really liked it
I read this years ago and had almost completely forgotten what happened.

Kevin J. Anderson's first X-Files fan fiction novel opens with a nuclear scientist receiving a strange message and a sample of black powder, before being mysteriously burned to a husk in an apparent freak accident, but when Mulder and Scully start investigating three more victims also die in the same manner, and none seem obviously connected.

The whole story leads them to secretive nuclear tests, and ends in an epic climactic
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
I love the X-Files. It kills me that the last episode aired on 5/19/02, just a week ago. Recently, it was rated in the top fifty shows to ever be produced for television. I will miss it greatly.

In this third X-Files book, Kevin J. Anderson does a great job of nailing Mulder's sense of humor. Scully is still quite the skeptic in this book, as it was written only two years after the series began. Skinner is quite cutting in his speech, as he has not yet become friends of Mulder and Scully.

Anders
Andrew
May 05, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
This is the next in the series (well I guess the books do follow an order although I never read them as such and I don't think I lost anything from reading them in this fashion).
The story I feel is starting to feel a little more grander than the previous instalments and now it is starting to finally out growing its weekly TV slot. This is an episode I think they would struggle to fit in to a conventional show (I always feel that a book should be something more than the show. Pages do not cost as
Martyn Perry
Dec 27, 2013 Martyn Perry rated it liked it
Another surprisingly readable entry in the X-Files Novel series. Kevin J. Anderson creates a brilliantly unique story with enough paranormal elements, government conspiracy elements and unexplained deaths to feel like a true X-File. The nuclear weapons program in the US provides plenty of interesting discussion points and the supernatural tie in to historic events is a good concept.

There are unfortunately some weaknesses to the book. Mulder feels like a one trick punch line spewing jackass and d
Kay Iscah
Nov 29, 2011 Kay Iscah rated it liked it
KJ does a better job in Ground Zero of bringing in the humor aspect that makes X-files so endearing. He doesn't always captured Mulder and Scully's voice, but his secondary character have more dimension to them. They seem more tangible, easier to visualize.

As I've said before in my Star Wars days. K.J.A. can create interesting characters. He just doesn't seem to know what to do with them. In Ground Zero, he kills them all off...one of those, "everyone else died, but Mulder and Scully made it, so
Wayne
Jun 02, 2016 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a chance find at my local library. Since the most recent X-Files season, I have been interested in fiction based on the series, so I grabbed this figuring it was a part of the new resurgence. My review could be considered loose spoilers, so be warned. I quickly realized this was older, as it was heavily based in the cold war era and pretty dated. Additionally, I was not impressed by being beat over the head with morality plays on the effects of the atomic (and therefore nuclear) age. ...more
Weirdfi
Jun 20, 2016 Weirdfi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compared to the other two Charles Grant written X-Files novels I read earlier this year, I think this one's plot captivated me more. I guess such a big conspiracy and the theme of (slight spoiler alert but not really because its from the start) nuclear weapons, raises the stakes and at least made me pay more attention to the minor details in case it was relevant later on.

However, other than Mulder & Scully- I don't think I was as interested in some of the characters as I was in the other two
Ross Blocher
Jul 30, 2014 Ross Blocher rated it it was ok
Meh. It's been a while since I've seen the show (I plan to watch it again once my son and I finish Twilight Zone), but I thought it might be fun to wander back into the conspiratorial world of the X-Files. This book managed to recapture the feel of an episode, though not a particularly great one, and perhaps with some descriptions that would have exceeded the FX budget for a given episode. The dialog and some character descriptions were often uncomfortably bad, which was a bummer, since I ...more
Meagan
May 03, 2010 Meagan rated it liked it
Shelves: x-files
Mulder and Scully are called in to investigate the murder of nuclear weapons researcher Dr. Gregory. Dr. Gregory was in charge of an illegal project: a new nuclear explosive with destructive power but leaves no radioactive fallout. From there ensues mystery and adventures where Mulder's sarcastic sense of humour and Scully's scepticism are apparent throughout the story, where a reader can envision a real X-files episode.
Bryan Schmidt
Dec 05, 2015 Bryan Schmidt rated it really liked it
A solid X-Files story that mostly captures the characters and mood of the show. I only wish it had used more of the show's backstory and mythology as the episodes often did but since it was written arojnd the 2nd season, maybe the show hadn't gotten there as much yet either. 3.5 stars only because the ending pushed suspension of disbelief for me. The show did that sometimes too which has always been a struggle. But nonetheless a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Deborah M Monroe
Excellent x files

This is the only X-Files based book I have read. It was even better than the tv series of which I was an avid fan. This book was like the original shows without all the space encounters cancer man and bees. It was hard science fiction with paranormal supernatural tones. It built to a very high climax without a drop off of any kind and left you with a forceful whew when you realized you were finished. Great job.
Emily
Sep 12, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
This book's story was true to a certain style of X-Files episodes. Unfortunately it's my least favorite style.

The writing was okay. I felt it was a little . . . much at times.

My biggest complaint is that it didn't have enough Mulder and Scully, and when the two did show up they weren't very true to character. It may have been a better book without the X-Files association.

I would unenthusiastically recommend it to X-Files fans.
Jami
Nov 24, 2014 Jami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
the characters didn't really resemble the Mulder and Scully that I have come to know and love. it was comical how Scully on paper seemed concerned with her wardrobe.

the writing isn't anything spectacular. but the plot is compelling.

the differences between TV Scully and Mulder v. novel Scully and Mulder offer some high laughs.

I will probably seek out the other books.
because I want to believe.
Bernardo Pereira
A guilty pleasure kind of read. :) I found this book in a book exchange bin and decided to give it a try, not expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised! Being a long time X-Files fan, I felt as if I was watching a "lost" episode. The plot is interesting and the story got me hooked up until the end. The characters' quirks and personalities were very well translated into the book. It was very entertaining and I will definitely look for the others in the series.
Jaap Bennen
Sep 30, 2014 Jaap Bennen rated it really liked it
If you like Fallout (videogame series, with lot's and lot's of nuclear era themes) and the X-Files, then this is a great book for you.
It also mentions some ethical issues that arise when dealing with nuclear weapons (testing) and some history on that subject.
Above all: It's simply a cool X-Files novel.
Mollie Trail
Feb 25, 2013 Mollie Trail rated it really liked it
I could picture this as an episode so clearly. Kevin Anderson really got in the minds of Mulder and Scully. The case itself was mytserious, only unraveling when Anderson wanted it to. He was a bit too descriptive with what USS Dallas looked like and on a few other little points, but beyond that it was a very good book.
Chris Brigante
Jan 01, 2013 Chris Brigante rated it it was ok
As a college student that is constantly reading very heavy material, this book was a fantastic break for my brain. Though the author fails to capture Mulder and Scully, if you are an x-files fan, you will still enjoy this book. The plot is fairly good and will keep you reading, just don't expect a masterpiece.
Janice Hite
Feb 02, 2016 Janice Hite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made me realize how much I miss the TV series but I did really enjoy the book.

Anyone who enjoys supernatural stories as well as two people who work so well together in spite of their differences as to the reasons for explanations for why things happen. Makes very enjoyable reading.
Hannah
Apr 04, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it
I actually liked this book. Some parts actually went along with what the show is all about. But some parts to me did not match the show's mythology. I love the X-Files, even though I was born in 1997, and this show has great mythology.
  • The X-Files: Goblins
  • Skin (The X-Files)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • The Truth Is Out There: The Official Guide to the X Files, Volume One
  • I Want to Believe: The Official Guide to The X-Files Volume III
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • Humbug (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #5)
  • The Unofficial X-Files Companion: An X-Phile's Guide to the Mysteries, Conspiracies, and Really Strange Truths Behind the Show
  • Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • Far Beyond the Stars
  • Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Technical Manual (Star Trek Deep Space Nine (Unnumbered Paperback))
  • The X-Files: Trust No One
  • Reunion (Star Trek Next Generation )
  • Fallen Heroes
  • Star Trek Generations (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

X-Files (8 books)
  • The X-Files: Goblins
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • Ruins