Seattle Noir

Seattle Noir (Akashic Noir)

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Brand new stories by: G.M. Ford, Skye Moody, R. Barri Flowers, Thomas P. Hopp, Patricia Harrington, Bharti Kirchner, Kathleen Alcalá, Simon Wood, Brian Thornton, Lou Kemp, Curt Colbert, Robert Lopresti, Paul S. Piper, and Stephan Magcosta.
Early Seattle was a hardscrabble seaport filled with merchant sailors, longshoremen, lumberjacks, rowdy saloons, and a rough-and-tumble...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Akashic Books (first published 2003)

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordSnow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinTruth Like the Sun by Jim LynchInside Passage by Burt Weissbourd
Pacific Northwest Fiction
17th out of 89 books — 48 voters
The Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithAmsterdam by Ian McEwanDeath in Venice by Thomas MannNotre-Dame of Paris by Victor Hugo
Cities
133rd out of 226 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Larisa
As with any short story collection, some are better than others in this collection that takes readers on a tour of the seamy underbelly of several of Seattle's neighborhoods. The writing in a few seems forced, but there are a few that took some wonderful surprise twists and one that made me laugh out loud at the end. My favorites were the stories by Simon Wood and Curt Colbert--if all the stories were on that level I would have given the book an extra star. A good, quick, fun read overall.
Donna
No doubt, as many others have observed, it would be fairer to rate each writer individually here, because this is a very mixed bag. I enjoyed the anchor pieces that began and ended the collection, and it was the presence of a relatively brief piece by GM Ford that made me go looking for it. I liked the story set in Chinatown, as well as the lampoon of the very-elite Magnolia by new-to-me writer Skye Moody. I understand that the writer with the Nordstrom-this and Nordstrom-that is an award winner...more
Oddmonster
A collection I wish would've been better. A handful of good stories -- Bharti Kirchner's "Promised Tulips", "The Best View in Town" by Paul S. Piper and Robert Lopresti's "The Center of the Universe" -- get practically buried in among a lot of mediocre stories that veer between sacrificing Seattle in the name of noir or vice versa.

You have to hang on til the bitter end to catch the anthology's two really outstanding stories, "The Magnolia Bluff" by Skye Moody and GM Ford's "Food for Thought", b...more
Hans Schettler
I enjoyed the diversity of time and style of the stories. Everything from classic 50s style detective stories to old west to modern thriller. Worth a read especially of you live in Seattle.
Chris
The rain doesn't even factor in these stories-merely a minor mention. So much for the omnipresent rain of Seattle. However, there are some good stories in this volume that are the typical noir types you would find in any city: married couple hiring a PI to protect each of them from the other partner who is going to kill them; dirty cops setting up a punk; affair for murder of the husband and then the set-up. Some news ones though with a red tide poison from the Puget Sound Native Americans and t...more
Michael
Mystery short stories are hard.

There's not enough room to really develop characters or do an interesting plot, so they mostly end up being a 10 page setup for a twist ending that becomes pretty easy to guess after the second page.

There might be good mystery short stories out there, but these ain't them.

They do take place in Seattle, and I love reading stuff that takes place in Seattle, so it gets the second star from me. Not recommended.
Elizabeth
This book is a series of stories set in Seattle that are at least moderately dark and by local-ish authors I'd never heard of. The stories weren't really cohesive. They were divided into 4 parts, but I didn't really understand what the stories in a part had to do with one another either.

If you're really into stories set in Seattle, or northwest authors, this book might be worth a read (check it out from the library, it's not worth buying).
James Eastwood
I've read some of the other collections in this series (at least Brooklyn Noir, if I recall correctly) and have been satisfied with them, but. . . maybe Seattle crime writers just suck? I stopped after five or six stories because not only were they plotted poorly and most of them were written with the facility of a creative writing student, none of the stories I read really captured the blackness of the noir that I was seeking.
Lulu
After just returning from a road trip to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula, I found this book quite entertaining. The locations and references to native populations of the area were fresh in my mind, making it easier to picture the situations in these short stories. I'm continuing the Noir series, albeit intermittently and it's interesting to see the difference in the caliber of writing between the authors.
Greg
The second in the Jake Rossiter & Miss Jenkins series sees Jake confronting his anti-Japanese sentiment. As in the first book, Jake's racism, and that of his colleagues, isn't thinly veiled, which makes Colbert's writing all the better. The author avoids overt moralising, allowing characters to develop with the story. Three-and-a-half stars.
Dennis
Just two stars. There were two good stories in this collection. The rest of them were either boring noir stories with only a token nod to Seattle, or with horrible writing mechanics, or just bad story-telling. The two good stories were tightly written, actually used Seattle appropriately, and had good plotting.
Michael Smith
Overall more good stories then bad, thought the first story did kind of hit an off key note for me. All the others range from fine to great. With this and others in the line of these noir anthologies, it helps if the reader brings a little familiarity of the geography with them.
Leah
Nice mix of noirs. Some classic '40s lingo, some modern as hell, some funny, some creepy, some great, some ok. And I learned a thing or two about Cap. Vancouver's botany skills from the delightfully punned "Magnolia Bluff".
Leigh
I would say I enjoyed 3/4 of the stories. Some were great and others were so lame a junior high school could have written a better tale. But enjoyable overall. Made me look over my shoulder for sure.
Greta Roussos
We met the editor and a few of the writers for this collection of short stories about Seattle. They seem like an interesting group, but this collection of short stories was just okay.
Rachel
I used to live there...it jumped out at the library, plus I love suspense/mystery books. Which it was...not so much so for "Paris Noir" which I'm currently reading.
Allison
I picked this up because of the title and then the introduction was compelling. Sadly the quality of the stories was pretty inconsistent. Oh well.
Bonnie Gayle
The spine was too badly damaged, so I had to send it to mending before I could read it. I'll read it later.
Tina
I read Sayonaraville which takes place in Seattle while in Seattle. It is a quick pace PI book.
Staci
Fun short stories
Mary
Dec 14, 2011 Mary added it
Awful.
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Shalonne Plummer
Shalonne Plummer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jul 06, 2014
Katie Shafer
Katie Shafer marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Davenport
Davenport marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Thoughts From One of the Authors 2 8 Feb 07, 2014 01:45PM
Author of the Jake Rossiter and Miss Jenkins Mystery series set in 1940s Seattle.
More about Curt Colbert...
Rat City Queer Street: A Jake Rossiter & Miss Jenkins Mystery