Start by marking “Seattle Noir” as Want to Read:
Seattle Noir

Seattle Noir (Akashic Noir)

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Brand new stories by: G.M. Ford, Skye Moody, R. Barri Flowers, Thomas P. Hopp, Patricia Harrington, Bharti Kirchner, Kathleen Alcalá, Simon Wood, Brian Thornton, Lou Kemp, Curt Colbert, Robert Lopresti, Paul S. Piper, and Stephan Magcosta.
Early Seattle was a hardscrabble seaport filled with merchant sailors, longshoremen, lumberjacks, rowdy saloons, and a rough-and-tumble
Published June 1st 2009 by Akashic Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seattle Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seattle Noir

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordSnow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria SempleThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinSnow Falling on Cedars / East of the Mountains by David Guterson
Pacific Northwest Fiction
24th out of 128 books — 72 voters
The Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareAmsterdam by Ian McEwanA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithRooftops of Tehran by Mahbod SerajiDubliners by James Joyce
Cities
147th out of 285 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Larisa
Jun 15, 2009 Larisa rated it liked it
As with any short story collection, some are better than others in this collection that takes readers on a tour of the seamy underbelly of several of Seattle's neighborhoods. The writing in a few seems forced, but there are a few that took some wonderful surprise twists and one that made me laugh out loud at the end. My favorites were the stories by Simon Wood and Curt Colbert--if all the stories were on that level I would have given the book an extra star. A good, quick, fun read overall.
Christina Mitchell
Jul 10, 2015 Christina Mitchell rated it really liked it
Saw this little gem of a book at Metsker Maps in the SEA-TAC airport. I am participating in Turner Classic Movie's Summer of Darkness film noir study (Summer 2014) and had to have the book when I saw it. This book of short stories by Seattle writers brings Seattle old and new alive as a place of shadowy nooks and crannies exuding questionable morals - and, really, isn't that just Seattle? The various protagonists may not always have a happy ending, but that's the point of noir. One story even br ...more
Harris
Jun 12, 2015 Harris rated it it was ok
I have probably spent more time in Seattle than any other city outside the Twin Cities, and I definitely regard it fondly and look forward to any chance to visit. While the Pacific Northwest shares some cultural traits with my home in the Upper Midwest, the coast and the mountains give it an entirely different feel. There is a grittiness along the steep, mist drenched streets of Seattle that can not be found in Minneapolis-St. Paul, though perhaps may be found a bit in Duluth. In any case, there ...more
Donna Davis
No doubt, as many others have observed, it would be fairer to rate each writer individually here, because this is a very mixed bag. I enjoyed the anchor pieces that began and ended the collection, and it was the presence of a relatively brief piece by GM Ford that made me go looking for it. I liked the story set in Chinatown, as well as the lampoon of the very-elite Magnolia by new-to-me writer Skye Moody. I understand that the writer with the Nordstrom-this and Nordstrom-that is an award winner ...more
Rhonda Gilmour
Apr 01, 2016 Rhonda Gilmour rated it liked it
It's difficult to rate a collection of short stories by different authors. My favorites in this collection of dark, mystery-ish tales set in Seattle were "The Magnolia Bluff" by Skye Moody, "The Wrong End of a Gun" by R. Barri Flowers, and "The Best View in Town" by Paul S. Piper. IMO, there were a few clunkers in this collection, but enough good, creepy fun to please any lover of this genre. Worth a look.
Audrey
Nov 13, 2011 Audrey rated it liked it
Shelves: noir, seattle
A collection I wish would've been better. A handful of good stories -- Bharti Kirchner's "Promised Tulips", "The Best View in Town" by Paul S. Piper and Robert Lopresti's "The Center of the Universe" -- get practically buried in among a lot of mediocre stories that veer between sacrificing Seattle in the name of noir or vice versa.

You have to hang on til the bitter end to catch the anthology's two really outstanding stories, "The Magnolia Bluff" by Skye Moody and GM Ford's "Food for Thought", b
Christy
Jan 27, 2016 Christy rated it liked it
"There are no happy endings in noir." True enough. But if you can handle that, the settings in Seattle were enough to increase interest for me.
Hans Schettler
Apr 30, 2014 Hans Schettler rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the diversity of time and style of the stories. Everything from classic 50s style detective stories to old west to modern thriller. Worth a read especially of you live in Seattle.
Chris
Aug 22, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The rain doesn't even factor in these stories-merely a minor mention. So much for the omnipresent rain of Seattle. However, there are some good stories in this volume that are the typical noir types you would find in any city: married couple hiring a PI to protect each of them from the other partner who is going to kill them; dirty cops setting up a punk; affair for murder of the husband and then the set-up. Some news ones though with a red tide poison from the Puget Sound Native Americans and t ...more
Michael
Oct 16, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
Mystery short stories are hard.

There's not enough room to really develop characters or do an interesting plot, so they mostly end up being a 10 page setup for a twist ending that becomes pretty easy to guess after the second page.

There might be good mystery short stories out there, but these ain't them.

They do take place in Seattle, and I love reading stuff that takes place in Seattle, so it gets the second star from me. Not recommended.
Pushpak Karnick
Aug 14, 2015 Pushpak Karnick rated it really liked it
Please find my review at http://echoes-empty-mind.blogspot.com...
Elizabeth
Mar 05, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
This book is a series of stories set in Seattle that are at least moderately dark and by local-ish authors I'd never heard of. The stories weren't really cohesive. They were divided into 4 parts, but I didn't really understand what the stories in a part had to do with one another either.

If you're really into stories set in Seattle, or northwest authors, this book might be worth a read (check it out from the library, it's not worth buying).
James Eastwood
Jan 31, 2012 James Eastwood rated it it was ok
I've read some of the other collections in this series (at least Brooklyn Noir, if I recall correctly) and have been satisfied with them, but. . . maybe Seattle crime writers just suck? I stopped after five or six stories because not only were they plotted poorly and most of them were written with the facility of a creative writing student, none of the stories I read really captured the blackness of the noir that I was seeking.
Lulu
Aug 14, 2011 Lulu rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
After just returning from a road trip to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula, I found this book quite entertaining. The locations and references to native populations of the area were fresh in my mind, making it easier to picture the situations in these short stories. I'm continuing the Noir series, albeit intermittently and it's interesting to see the difference in the caliber of writing between the authors.
Karen Tripson
Mar 23, 2015 Karen Tripson rated it liked it
Uneven collection. Some of the stories were great, some were not well written or worth telling.
Greg
Dec 08, 2012 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, mystery
The second in the Jake Rossiter & Miss Jenkins series sees Jake confronting his anti-Japanese sentiment. As in the first book, Jake's racism, and that of his colleagues, isn't thinly veiled, which makes Colbert's writing all the better. The author avoids overt moralising, allowing characters to develop with the story. Three-and-a-half stars.
Dennis
Sep 09, 2013 Dennis rated it it was ok
Just two stars. There were two good stories in this collection. The rest of them were either boring noir stories with only a token nod to Seattle, or with horrible writing mechanics, or just bad story-telling. The two good stories were tightly written, actually used Seattle appropriately, and had good plotting.
Michael Smith
Dec 03, 2011 Michael Smith rated it liked it
Overall more good stories then bad, thought the first story did kind of hit an off key note for me. All the others range from fine to great. With this and others in the line of these noir anthologies, it helps if the reader brings a little familiarity of the geography with them.
Leah Wener-Fligner
Aug 30, 2011 Leah Wener-Fligner rated it liked it
Nice mix of noirs. Some classic '40s lingo, some modern as hell, some funny, some creepy, some great, some ok. And I learned a thing or two about Cap. Vancouver's botany skills from the delightfully punned "Magnolia Bluff".
Leigh
Jan 15, 2010 Leigh rated it liked it
I would say I enjoyed 3/4 of the stories. Some were great and others were so lame a junior high school could have written a better tale. But enjoyable overall. Made me look over my shoulder for sure.
Greta
Feb 05, 2010 Greta rated it liked it
We met the editor and a few of the writers for this collection of short stories about Seattle. They seem like an interesting group, but this collection of short stories was just okay.
Rachel
Sep 19, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I used to live there...it jumped out at the library, plus I love suspense/mystery books. Which it was...not so much so for "Paris Noir" which I'm currently reading.
Allison
Jan 07, 2010 Allison rated it did not like it
I picked this up because of the title and then the introduction was compelling. Sadly the quality of the stories was pretty inconsistent. Oh well.
Bonnie
Apr 30, 2009 Bonnie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The spine was too badly damaged, so I had to send it to mending before I could read it. I'll read it later.
Tina
Jul 29, 2007 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Sayonaraville which takes place in Seattle while in Seattle. It is a quick pace PI book.
Staci
Jul 28, 2010 Staci rated it liked it
Fun short stories
Mary
Dec 14, 2011 Mary added it
Awful.
Tiare
Tiare marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Anne-marie Madden
Anne-marie Madden marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Thoughts From One of the Authors 2 9 Feb 07, 2014 01:45PM
  • San Francisco Noir
  • Manhattan Noir
  • Istanbul Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Moscow Noir
  • Mumbai Noir
  • New Orleans Noir
  • Richmond Noir
  • London Noir
Author of the Jake Rossiter and Miss Jenkins Mystery series set in 1940s Seattle.
More about Curt Colbert...

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)