Start by marking “Hollywood Bohemians: Transgressive Sexuality and the Selling of the Movieland Dream” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  3 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Between 1917 and 1941, Hollywood studios, gossip columnists and novelists featured an unprecedented number of homosexuals, cross-dressers, and adulterers in their depictions of the glamorous Hollywood lifestyle. Actress Greta Garbo defined herself as the ultimate serial bachelorette. Screenwriter Mercedes De Acosta engaged in numerous lesbian relationships with the Hollywo ...more
Published August 19th 2008 by McFarland & Company

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Bohemians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Bohemians

Christine
In this comprehensive overview of the development of Hollywood (particularly between 1917-1941), author Brett Abrams demonstrates how those who crossed the boundaries of the society’s sexual norms had a unique role to play in creating the image we have today of Tinseltown. Today most people’s image of Hollywood is one of a laissez faire, “anything goes” town dedicated to the movie business. Yet it wasn’t always that way.

Cross-dressers, gay and lesbian actors and actresses, as well as those who
Stephanie
a fascinating study of how '30s Hollywood has influenced today's movies, advertising, and sexual attitudes
Brett
Oct 31, 2008 Brett added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved it. Learned a lot and had a good time too.
Nancy L.
Delightful from start to finish.
Sean Stevens
Sean Stevens marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Ai Miller
Ai Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Scarlet Tartlet
Scarlet Tartlet marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2011
Asia
Asia marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2010
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2009
Thomas
Thomas added it
Jul 12, 2009
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2009
Eryn
Eryn marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2009
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2009
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2008
Jennifer Defoy
Jennifer Defoy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2008
Born to a Catholic Mother and a Jewish Father, I relish diversity. My hometown of Newark then South Brunswick, NJ had people from urban and rural environs, and ethnic and racial cultures galore. This sparks my interest in backgrounds, histories and differences, and I explore these fascinations to this day.

I lived in Wisconsin, Philadelphia, and Boston before coming to Washington, D.C. to earn my d
More about Brett L. Abrams...
The Bullets, the Wizards, and Washington, DC, Basketball Capital Sporting Grounds: A History of Stadium and Ballpark Construction in Washington, D.C.