Love, Lies and Texas Dips (The Debs, #2)

Love, Lies and Texas Dips (The Debs #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Debs are back!

Now that her dream of becoming a deb is finally coming true, Laura’s confidence is at an all-time high. But when she dares to mess with Jo Lynn’s football star boyfriend, Dillon, Laura finds herself at the center of some heinous gossip.

As predicted, becoming a deb is a shallow undertaking that Mac can barely muddle through. Still, things go from bad to wo...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Breanna F. for TeensReadToo.com

Well, they did it. Laura, Mac, Ginger, and (unfortunately) Jo Lynn were four of the handpicked girls to become Rosebud Debutantes of The Glass Slipper Club. But the only thing harder than getting into the GSC is staying in it...

Laura's dream is finally on its way to becoming true! Or at least that's what she thought at first, until an awfully nasty lie was spread around about her by who she can only assume was Jo Lynn or one of her followers. She just...more
Katie
Laura, Mac, Ginger, and Jo Lynn are finally in. Now they have to figure out how to stay in. Or in Jo Lynn's case how to get some one else kicked out. Jo Lynn refuses to allow Laura any peace of mind and does everything she can to kick her out. She will stop at nothing to get what she wants and nothing is off limits.

Laura, Mac, and Ginger have many other things to worry about other than just Jo Lynn. Laura has to try and fix things with Avery, Mac realizes she might have feelings for her best guy...more
Julie Failla Earhart
When readers last saw The Debs, they had been handed their invitations to join the Glass Slipper Club, Houston’s most prestigious high society club. The Glass Slipper Club only invites ten girls, whom are dubbed Rosebuds. It ain’t easy getting an invitation. The season last all academic year, culminating with the annual Rosebud Ball.

In Susan McBride’s sequel, The Debs: Loves, Lies, and Texas Dips, the protagonists---Laura, Mac, and Ginger---and their arch nemesis---Jo Lynn—have all received an i...more
Kristi (The Story Siren)
The second installment is definitely a lot more juicier! A piece of deb-a-licious anyone? I know, lame... Love, Lies and Texas Dips was a step up from the first novel and I devoured the Debs... so you know L,L&TD must be good!

The Deb-web gets even more tangled! I seriously don’t know how Jo Lynn finds the time to make Laura’s life a living hell, I mean I know it’s only fiction, but my gosh! The girl needs to get a hobby or something. I really hope she gets what’s coming to her, because she i...more
Nyasa
the book Love, Lies, and Texas Dips it comes from four girls Point Of View, Jo Lynn, Laura, Mac, and Ginger. Laura a size 14 girl who has gotten into the Debs has everything she ever dreamed, but when Laura gets caught in a mess that was misunderstood that led to a Myspace scandal she could be saying bye bye to being a Deb forever, Mac a bookworm and Lauras bestfriend has her own problems with a new girl flirting with her guy best friend she shouldnt feel jealous or threatened, so why does she?...more
Angela Blanco
As someone who never read the first book of this series, this book was relatively easy to follow and I was able to find quickly where the book was heading. The book was well-written, relatively detailed, and easy to follow. However, the ending was something I did not care for much. It left you knowing nothing of what had happened and left so many things unanswered and/or unknown.

From reading this book, it seems that it is not so much about the girls getting into the GSC rather than trying to fi...more
Jenna
This was the second book in The Debs series and I liked it just as much as the first. The characters are still likable. Now that they're all in the Glass Slipper Club, they've got to stay in, despite Jo Lynn's best efforts to get Laura out. I still don't understand Jo Lynn's vendetta against Laura or what she is holding over Avery's head to keep him in line. The rest of the girls were still interesting, though with 4 main characters, I never felt like we were getting enough of anyone's story. I...more
Nancy
Jul 08, 2009 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Like the first one of these books, I probably enjoyed this one out of proportion to what it is. But some days, you want an easy read that's not horribly written. Both this series and the Gossip Girl books have the benefit of being about a certain kind of upbringing about which I am completely ignorant, which is fun. But both series also move forward soap-opera slowly: this book covered about 10 days. Anyway, I'll keep reading them as they come out, probably passing them on to Susan and then Eliz...more
Rach
This second book in the Debs series is much like the first - the girls are interesting, but the plot is very short, and felt very cut-off at the end, much like a cliffhanger at the end of a tv show episode. In fact, it would probably be easier to read these books if you view them as just that - episodes in a larger story arch.

I won this book in one of the Goodreads giveaways, so thanks to the author for my copy. :)
Jenna Harrison
I wanted these books to be good I really did. They only get interesting 10 or so pages from the end. The rest is back biting annoying mean girl fluff. There is no story arc completed in the book what so ever, just left on a cliff hanger. Mean girl does mean thing, other girls deal with mean thing, mean thing reaches adults, other girls prepare to met with adults, end of book. No resolutions, incomplete book.
Melodie
This turned out to not be my type of book, so I passed it on to my niece. I had read this author in the past, as she had an adult mystery series, but this was YA romance which doesn't appeal to me. My niece liked it, tho.
G
I read both "The Debs" and this book back to back until 6:00 am this morning and had a ball doing so. Both books are fun reads, and now I'm mad that I have to wait to find out what happens next in the series!
J.
Jul 29, 2009 J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to J. by: A win from firstreads!!!
This is the second in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Took me back to high school. Also read the first one. Now I have to wait for the third to find out how everything turns out for the Texas debs.
Beth
I read about 50 pages. Didn't find the characters compelling, the plot interesting or the writing more than pedestrarian.
♣Bel♣
can you say catty? this series is so funny i love it
Tiara
Tiara marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Christine Hatfield
Christine Hatfield marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Michelle Artuz
Michelle Artuz marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Cheekygryphon
Cheekygryphon marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Taschakim
Taschakim marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Aisha
Aisha marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Keri Soward
Keri Soward marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Susan McBride is the author of Very Bad Things, a young adult thriller out on October 14, 2014, from Delacorte Press. She also writes women’s fiction, including The Truth About Love and Lightning (02/13, William Morrow), Little Black Dress (09/11, William Morrow), and The Cougar Club (01/10, Morrow/Avon), as well as the award-winning Debutante Dropout Mysteries. She calls herself an “accidental co...more
More about Susan McBride...
Little Black Dress Blue Blood (A Debutante Dropout Mystery, #1) The Truth About Love and Lightning The Cougar Club The Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Debutante Dropout Mystery, #2)