Start by marking “The Green Hills of Earth” as Want to Read:
The Green Hills of Earth

The Green Hills of Earth (Future History or "Heinlein Timeline" #16)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  6,703 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Heinlein's "Future History" Epic: On the Moon, Mars and Space Station One, it's pure Heinlein all the way in a stunning vision of adventure and courage set against a masterfully realized future.
Published April 1st 2003 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Hills of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Hills of Earth

Lyn
Jul 30, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it
Dated. Campy. Corny. Sexist – and wonderfully, absolutely Heinlein.

His 1951 collection of “Future History” short stories, all written in the 1940s, represents some of his earlier works. Fans of his juveniles will especially like this publication.

Modern readers will point to stories like "Delilah and the Space Rigger" and "Space Jockey" and will scream that Heinlein was a male chauvinist pig; but progressive for his time Heinlein was carrying Rosie the Riveter into space and expanding her importa
Manny
Nov 12, 2010 Manny rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In Robert Heinlein's short story collection, we get to read about a future history that never happened, where the Solar System is colonized by a bunch of ambitious, optimistic, happy-go-lucky space entrepreneurs. They cut corners, break the rules, and quite often get themselves killed. But it works. The American dream reaches the stars, or at least the planets.

In the real world, manned space-flight reached its peak around 1970 with the Apollo landings and then stagnated. Reagan went into the bli
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Despite the title, Earth is mostly in the background in this wonderful collection of short stories. It's mostly concerned with everyday life off the planet. Heinlein has taken a lot of mundane situations & put them a head a century or three. People are still people, although they've traded in their cars for spaceships.

Some of the stories are a bit dated, such as "Delilah & the Space Rigger" - what happens when a girl shows up to work on a space project with an all boy crew? Heinlein exam
Gendou
Jun 05, 2013 Gendou rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories is classic Heinlein. That is to say, sexism, chauvinism, rocketry without computers, a bit of magic, and heaps of bravery. The later is the most fun.

I find the rockets without computers quaint; it reminds me, not surprisingly, of the Apollo Program. It's seldom boring, because Heinlein so often insists on teaching the reader something.

Sometimes, though, the bad guys go out of their way too much to be bad. Like the guy who wouldn't let girls on the space station,
Jason
Nov 19, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Classic Heinlein, never tire of his stories. I enjoy his world/universe building and his pseudo-science of interplanetary travel and shared/inter connected stories and worlds. Not all great but mostly entertaining. Love his optimistic view of the 1980's being something akin to the Jetsons combined with Bladerunner.
Brad
Yep ... I love the stories of Robert A. Heinlein. Got a problem with that?

The Green Hills of Earth, the titular short, and Logic of Empire are particularly excellent.
Mary JL
Mar 30, 2009 Mary JL rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any science fiction fan
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This a another of the very few Robert Heinlein short story collections. They ten stories are all quite good. Speical favorties of mine among the then stories are "The Green Hills of Earth" and "Ordeal in Space".

Heinlein's short stories are not as well known as his novels, but he is a good story teller whether writing novels or short stories.
John Mccullough
Sep 15, 2016 John Mccullough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction lovers
The Green Hills …. is a sci-fi classic by a justly-famous author. With 10 short stories Heinlein tells tales filled with problems that are common to those in a complex society, especially those that might deal with complex technologies. It begins with a story highlighting the unnecessary and counter-productive discrimination against women in the workplace - here it is construction of a space station. This is still a bone of contention; was it a reflexion of what was happening t the time Heinlein ...more
Erik Graff
May 05, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinlein fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I was born with almost perfect teeth--except for one canine which was a bit bent out of line. To treat this Dr. Rice gave me a retainer to wear to bed. It worked well enough to allow the resulting cavity at the root to fill with fluids and become infected, leading to a tremendous fever which hit during the last week of junior high. Other than some interesting hallucinations the most memorable part of that period was the day Dad's mother, Lajla, came by to fill in for my working parents. The swif ...more
Bob
Aug 16, 2015 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A series of short stories connected to Heinlein's future history and all mentioning or taking place in Luna City (Moon colony) at some point. I liked the last novella, The Logic of Empire, the most. It tells a story how slavery seems inevitable in colonization of planets. There is a wide array of types of tales here, some about adjusting to the moon, the technological challenges of meetings from people from different gravitational constants, marriage issues, overcoming agoraphobia, etc.
Jigme Datse
*** If you're picky about spoilers, there are some minor plot points mentioned with sufficient specificity to be considered spoilers, in fact I think that if I *do* consider spoilers, there *are* indeed minor spoilers here, but the book is old enough that you'd probably either be uninterested, or not have looked for anything in order to have "avoided spoilers". ***

This book wasn't perfectly horrible. There were some sections I rather liked in it.

I had a friend who had commented about their disli
Alex
"The Green Hills of Earth is a collection of short stories by Robert A. Heinlein and are considered classic science fiction. I normally don't like these sort of collections but these are part of a theme I remember. They surround the time in the Heinlein "Future History" universe after Delos D. Harriman sold the moon and commercialized space flight.

Most of the stories concern solar system space flight even though mention is made of space flights to the stars.

Any problems with the book? Well... t
Jens Walter
Die meisten Kurzgeschichten in dieser Sammlung sind eher unspannend und wirken so dahin geklatscht. Ich hatte nicht das Gefühl, dass es hier wirklich darum ging, eine Idee zu thematisieren. Einzig "Auktion auf der Venus" scheint mit einem konkreten Vorhaben geschrieben worden zu sein, wobei ich hier in Frage stelle, ob die Geschichte überhaupt einen Science-Fiction.Rahmen benötigt.

Alles in allen sehr mäßige Kost, die zwar schnell gelesen, aber auch schnell wieder vergessen ist.
Hal Brodsky
Feb 10, 2014 Hal Brodsky rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I am a fan of Robert Heinlein's novels and consider "Stranger in a Strange Land" a must read for, well, everyone.
This collection of very old, very dated pulp fiction really should be set aside for fans only. Each story (with the exception of the final,longer piece) is a single event, simple often predictable plot often featuring a single anachronistic idea.
Unless you are trying to read all of Heinlein's work, there is better material out there more worthy of your time.
David
Oct 14, 2012 David rated it really liked it
This is a fun anthology of short stories by Heinlein. All of the stories revolve around colonization of planets in our solar system. The themes are not about the technology, but about contemporary problems and dilemmas that we still have today; indentured service as slavery, prejudice against women in the workplace, young brats given too much freedom and too little discipline, phobias, and more. These contemporary themes help to explain the "staying power" of Heinlein's stories.
BarbaraAnn
I first read this book probably about 30 years ago. Reading the book again now, it's definitely dated - the first story about what happened when a woman was accidentally hired for an all-male space station was funny, but the same story proved the point that Heinlein wrote some very strong female characters. The woman was extremely competent and professional. Most of the stories are still relevant today - from the engineer who stopped a dictator, knowing he would die from the process to the space ...more
Jeff Yoak
This is a fantastic short story. I came to love "Noisy" from his appearances as a minor character in other Heinlein stories, but this this short piece describing his history and heroic end always gets me right here.
Pat Beard
Nov 12, 2015 Pat Beard rated it it was amazing
Another reread that contains one of my favorite from early years - the title story. These are mostly space adventure short stories with some social messages on the side - again somewhat dated. But the Green Hills of Earth is one of my "comfort" stories. I grew up among the cool green hills of earth and the story struck a cord with me from the first. I went away to collage in the deep South. And while there are many things to love about it - in particular the warm and loving people - I absolutely ...more
Stephen
Jan 11, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
No collection of Heinlein short stories could be less than a satisfying read, especially for those of us who cut our reading teeth on his work. The edition I read, published by Signet and sold for a whopping 75 cents, has been in my library since I was around eight years old and has been read dozens of times. It still holds as a good read even though the progression of each story is as familiar to me as the walk from my bedroom to my office. A few of the stories have not aged as well as others, ...more
Leif
Mar 31, 2016 Leif rated it liked it
Some great stories here. You know it. I know it.
Ed
May 04, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
An opportunity to appreciate the deft hand of grandmaster RAH at short fiction.

SciFi Short Stories - '---We Also Walk Dogs' and the novella 'Logic of Empire' written in 1941 for Astounding Science-Fiction; the other 8 short stories ( 'Delilah and the Space Rigger', 'Space Jockey', 'Gentlemen, Be Seated', 'The Black Pits of Luna', "it's Great to Be Back', 'Ordeal in Space', 'The Long Watch' and 'The Green Hills of Earth') were written between 1947-1949 for mainstream publications, mostly The Satu
Chrystyna
Jan 24, 2016 Chrystyna rated it really liked it
This was originally published in 1954 and is surprisingly modern in some respects and dated in others.

Ten short stories in all, but they are all written for the same 'world' ie the space stations, colonies on the Moon, Mars, Venus all retain the same names, the technology remains the same or evolving in the same way etc. So even though the stories don't inter-relate, they do all work together to describe a vision of the future.

Mostly the technology and vision hasn't dated, although some of 'the
Siv30
Apr 17, 2015 Siv30 rated it liked it
מסדה, 187 עמ`

"לנחיתה אחרונה אתפלל,
לאל שיעמוד לי בפרץ
וייתן לי לראו, רק עוד פעם אחת
את הגבעות הירוקות של הארץ.

רוברט היינלין כתב הרבה ספרי מד"ב ונחשב לרב אמון של סוג הסיפורת הזו. הספר "הגבעות הירוקות של הארץ" מורכב מ- 10 סיפורים קצרים שנכתבו בשנות ה- 40 של המאה הקודמת. כמשותף לכל העשרה הוא שלמרות שהם עוסקים בחלל החיצון הם לא כל כך מד"בים כמו שהם ממוקדים בתהליכים חברתיים וסוציולוגים.

דלילה והחללאי – ראש פרוייקט חללי נחרד ונכנס להיסטריה כאשר הוא מגלה שחבר הצוות החדש שלו, מי שאמור להיות מהנדס, הוא בעצם
Timothy Darling
Heinlein got his start in the pulps, but he was not content to stay there. This collection represents his time of initial expansion, perhaps the height of his power as a writer of short fiction. As such, these stories carry an extra level of sophisitication, breaking out from the techno-centered character of his earler work. He is no longer appealing only to the pre-war "geek" culture, but to the population at large. Heinlein, however, does not content himself with appealing to the lowest common ...more
Kevin
More short stories from Heinlein's Future History.

Delilah and the Space Rigger (1949) 3.5/5 Stars
Tiny and Dad are trying to finish a space station on time, but keep running into liars and cheats. When they finally find a good comm expert it turns out to be a woman which sets Tiny off.
This is a story that's been told many times today, but was fairly fresh over 60 years ago. It boils down to women can do men's work and men do work better with women around.

Space Jockey (1947) 2.5/5 Stars
A simple
David Allen
All published in the 1940s, most of these stories have a cheerful optimism about space flight, human relations and the promise of the 20th century that, while dated, scratches a certain itch. The final, and longest, story, "The Logic of Empire," is an anti-slavery allegory and a worthwhile early attempt at melding politics and SF.
Scott
Dec 17, 2015 Scott rated it it was ok
I love Heinlein. This is not great Heinlein. Stodgy, old-fashioned, lightweight. Sort of like taking silly family short stories, and shoe-horning them into space. Mischievous kids, On The Moon. Doesn't make them good stories setting them on the moon. To much other great Heinlein to waste time on this early stuff. Moving on.
Susan
Overall, I found the collection an interesting walk down Classic SF Lane. Most were entertaining, some a bit sexist, other taking on some Big Picture items such as slavery. While this collection was a bit entertaining, I won’t be rushing out to borrow more Heinlein. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is still my favorite Heinlein work, and superior to what is found in this collection.

Tome Weiner did a decent job of narrating the individual stories. Typically I avoid short story collections in audio fo
Fantasy Literature
Oct 22, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
I grew up a part of the baby boomer generation of young geeks that discovered science fiction around what the famous quote (attributed to one Peter Graham, later publicized and re-quoted by many, many others) said is the best age: “The Golden Age of Science Fiction is twelve.” For me and many others it was around that age that I was voraciously devouring a host of science fiction and fantasy writers, including Isaac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Andre Norton, just to name a few. I loved each ...more
Frank
Sep 21, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
The Green Hills of Earth by Robert A. Heinlein is another story from his Future History line. Honestly it’s one I have a hard time rating. While to story is good, there was a decent number of poems as a part of it. The poems though didn’t exactly work for me, as I’m not the biggest fan of poetry.

However the story… the story was solid and there was a lot of compelling excitement to the adventure. I rather enjoy the character of Rhysling and even if he’s a poet whose work I wasn’t completely in l
  • Nine Tomorrows
  • A Hole in Space
  • Odyssey
  • Tales from the White Hart
  • Trader to the Stars
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • Time and Again
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...

Future History or "Heinlein Timeline" (5 books)
  • The Man Who Sold the Moon
  • Methuselah's Children
  • Orphans of the Sky
  • The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History, #1-21)

“You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.” 706 likes
“We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on fleecy skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.”
3 likes