Start by marking “Dreaming” as Want to Read:

Dreaming (Bewitching and Dreaming #2)

Ever since she was a spirited hellion of a child, Letitia Olive Hornsby has been certain that Richard, the dashing and disreputable son of the Earl of Downe, is the white knight of her dreams. So certain, in fact, that Letty, now fully grown and unexpected beautiful, plans to save Richard from himself ... by
Published February 26th 2002 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming

Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
When I read this book the first time, directly after Bewitching, I found it to be a bit annoying. But recently I went back and reread Bewitching and I thought I'd revisit this book, mainly because I remembered I loved the ending so much. It definitely improved on second reading (that's never happened to me before!) and I found that I ended up enjoying the whole book way more than the first time. I still love the ending; one of the sweetest I can remember. I couldn't help be be enchanted how it e ...more
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Bewitching was a better book. Dreaming was humorous, but I'm mad Richard never had to win Letty. He says super hateful evil things to her & she still comes back. Not cool.
Actually, my rating's closer to 3 1/2 stars, only because I read the kindle edition which had annoying typos throughout and because overall the story was tad conventional BUT I was surprised into liking Letitia. She initially comes across as being extremely 'blonde' despite her chestnut-hair. The first part of the novel is one mishap after another, a kind of slapstick muddle-up that very nearly made me categorize her as too-stupid-to-live. Yet. Yet, her genuine love for the victim of her disaste ...more
May 26, 2011 Holly rated it liked it
Eh, this wasn't horrible. I felt bad for her but it was hard not to think of her as this desperate, pathetic creature. I wish she made him work for it at the end. But it would not have been in keeping with her character if she suddenly played it aloof. Silliness aside, I found this enjoyable. (it would've been nice if Belmore's brother had been mentioned.)
Mar 26, 2013 riverine rated it it was amazing
I fell totally in love with this book! I really like the author's style, the way she described and narrated the details. And the characterization! Even I myself fell in love with the hero in the story. I can also relate to the heroine's feelings towards the hero. I always love happy endings and this book just put a smile on my lips. In fact, I have read the book 3 times already:)
Aug 18, 2009 Texndahlin rated it liked it
Funny in an innocent, innocuous fashion. Although at times, his disdain for her, and her constant attraction for disaster did get a bit old, which ruined a bit of the chemistry for me. Love scenes were a bit "normal" nothing too out of the ordinary. But all in all an enjoyable read, lighthearted and funny.
Mandi Schreiner
Apr 12, 2012 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I thought this book was absolutely adorable. I might even have to give it 5 stars. I'm sure some will think the heroine is TOO innocent and naive. But it all worked for me. There are smugglers, pirates, a very cranky hero and a little magic. I just loved so much. I'll write a full review soon.
Apr 02, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it did not like it
This was just too ridiculous... Unfortunately I was just ready to throw it down and not pick it up again... she was just too clutzy and innocent... and it just got annoying... I was hoping for better especially with the recommendations I got with it. I guess not my cup of tea!
Jul 16, 2013 Michele rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many of you have read any of Jill Barnett's books-I have read them all and love every single one of them!! I Know you know how I feel about reading on my computer-but when I saw that this book was on sale (not sure if it still is)-even though I had read it before--I could not resist,her books-all of them are that good.

Try and picture me laughing till tears ran down my eyes while sitting and reading on my computer--that's what Jill Barnett's books do to me and Dreaming was no exc
Jun 27, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
I had a lot of trouble with this book and it took me forever to get through. My big problem was I didn't like the hero. For 90% of the book, he didn't even like Letty (the heroine). He just wouldn't give her a break. By the time he comes to his senses and realizes he loves her, it was too late for me, sorry, you missed the boat. To him, she was a curse, I grew tired of all the ways she almost managed to kill him accidentally and their time on the ship lasted forever! It was so tedious, the humor ...more
Feb 08, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it
This was a light read, cute, funny, and sometimes intense (sexually). I liked it b/c it was a quick, cute story and I needed something to carry me away from mundane life for a moment. And it was a continuation of Enchanting, which I REALLY liked! But honestly, it wouldn't kill the people that put this stuff into ereader format to proofread on occasion. Good grief, y'all. Punctuation isn't that hard.
Paranormal Romance
From the first second the heroine laid eyes on the hero, she knew she loved him. Even in her naïve and innocent manor, she loved the man with every single inch of her being. Too bad she's like a curse to him. She horribly clumsy and so scatter brained that she's been the bane of his existence for years. He's done everything in his power to stay out of her reach but when they are kidnapped by smugglers after witnessing the crime, the hero is suddenly forced to be in her company. The heroine is co ...more
Devon, England, 1815: DREAMING is about a young woman who loves a man who appears to have no redeeming qualities. Letty Hornsby is a sweetheart who grew up without the motherly guidance that was necessary for privileged young ladies. When she was presented two years before, her season was a disaster. She meant well except accidents and Leticia seem to go hand in hand.

Bitterness could be Richard's middle name. All he wanted was to become a soldier though we were never told why. As a second son, h
Nov 29, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Our h wasn't just inept; she was a walking disaster. Ahahahahahahah! The poor H was trying to avoid her every opportunity he could. Then they were both captured by smugglers.

There's tripping, then there's…tripping over the dog, kicking the gun you were supposed to pick up, causing it to discharge, inadvertently shooting the H in the arm *and* the oil lamp behind him, which ignited some powder kegs and blew a hole in the side of the ship. Ooops. It was the smuggler with his eyebrows burned off th
Feb 19, 2012 Maharet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laetitia Horrnsby.Impallidì e incurvò una spalla,quella che lei gli aveva casualmente slogato.D'istinto si toccò con la mano l'occhio destro,quello che lei gli aveva fatto nero con una palla da cricket.Contrasse un piede,ricordando il dolore provato
quando glielo aveva pestato ballando e, più di recente,ci era passata sopra con il calesse.Sentì un istintivo,urgente bisogno di porre tra sé e lei il maggior numero di chilometri possibile.No,pensò,non chilometri.Continenti.

Con il romanzo su Joy mi
Why do female protagonists always have to be clumsy? I'm not usually one to be annoyed by the literary equivalent of slapstick, but I've seen a lot of "oh she's so clumsy, it's endearing" lately and it's kind of annoying. Give me a less-than-beautiful-with-perfect-curves romance heroine who has grace and poise. I guess that's not why we read romance novels, though. Letty's clumsiness does factor into the plot quite a bit, so it's somewhat understandable in that respect.

Dreaming was humorous, an
Nov 14, 2013 Bunga rated it liked it
Agak susah menjabarkan bagaimana buku ini. Di awal sampe ke tengah saya agak bosan dengan banyaknya dialog, dan interaksi hero-heroinenya juga terlalu lebay. Yah, mungkin ini cuma selera saya saja yang ga begitu suka heroine yang ngejar-ngejar hero. Tapi kalau dilihat lebih dekat dari latar belakangnya, si heroine punya alasan yang masuk akal kenapa dia gigih banget ngejar si hero meski udah ditolak berkali-kali.Saya sebenarnya suka bickeringnya Letty-Richard, juga kekocakan bencana-bencana yang ...more
Dec 18, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely charming

One of my favorites. I laughed, cried and cheered. Letty is the bane of Richard's existence. When Richard returns to his country home after two years, it's not long before his childhood neighbor, Letty, brings chaos to Richard that leads them into hilarious situations. The more Richard tries to distance himself from Letty, the greater his life becomes entangled with hers. An entertaining story of two unlikely misfits destined to be together. I laughed out loud and was riveted
Aug 11, 2016 Kristin rated it did not like it
**One and a half stars**
I kept waiting for both Letty and Richard to stop being awful. Letty was the worst stereotype of a regency fainting miss. Incompetent and completely out of touch with reality. Richard's reasons for pushing Letty away made more sense when he was justifying it by the fact every encounter ended in injury for Richard. Deciding he was heartless and she was too good for him made really no sense based on the proof given in the book. Plus there's a random scene after where the re
Nov 13, 2015 Angelica rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-comedy
Can someone remind me the name of Letty's dog, please? Because I badly wanna adopt him. Hehe. Anyway, I feel so sorry about Letty's undying love towards Richard. I somehow pity her for falling inlove with such an arrogant and rude guy. I know its really disgusting to love somenone whom the love you ever wanted couldn't be returned. What maddened me more was the fact that Richard played with Letty's feelings despite her genuine love for him. I just found Richard so heartless for using Letty to le ...more
Aug 14, 2014 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Letty has been in love with Richard since the day they met....Richard does not feel the same about his catastrophe causing, ridiculously naive neighbor. Then they are kidnapped by smugglers and Richard slowly realizes the problem was him not being able to see Letty's appeal...

Oh please, the girl was a hazard to his health and absolutely mind numbingly annoying. I finished it but i gave up when the pirates who saved them from the smugglers turned out to be matchmakers.

Maybe some of this was lost
Gladys Turner
Jan 29, 2016 Gladys Turner rated it really liked it
This is the second book of a series and it's connected to the first.

Like book 1 , the heroine was full of life and dreams.
And the hero was the Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

There were a whole lot of funny parts here, and I've highlighted 85% of the book.
Actually the story reminded me of the early NFH series books, and I loved it.

If you want to read a laugh-out-loud book with few drama , this is your book.

However, if you're one of those who reads a book to find flaws in a hero and judge everyone, st
Feb 15, 2016 Kshydog rated it liked it
Loved the humorous incidents of Letty being clumsy and naive. A little bit of childlike behaviors with the dream scenes but it did help Richard realize that he could start acting a bit human instead of just a rake. A bit far fetched when smugglers then pirates entered the story and yet Letty found the good in them also. The ending with MacLean was confusing since I had not read the first book in the series
Kim Power
Somewhat of a disappointment

I was really looking forward to this book after Bewitched, but I found the plot more contrived, Letty is loving, but a bit wet and a bit of a stalker, and Downe behaves pretty scurrilously at times. I didn't find his conversion convincing. For me, the only times the book really picked up was in scenes involving Alex and Joy, and those about Seymour's romance, thou it is tucked in as something of an afterthought.
Mary Codilla
Feb 11, 2016 Mary Codilla rated it liked it
Letty comes off as a little too desperate, too obvious and annoying. In my perspective, Richard would likely take her for granted because she was already his to begin with. Having a hero who works to get her love, or a heroine who knows how to be discreet, makes a book more interesting from my perspective. The uncertainty and the guessing makes it more exciting, and so far their story isn't something that would stick with me.
Aug 18, 2013 Debra rated it it was ok
This review is from: Dreaming (Kindle Edition)
In the beginning, I thought this book was really funny, and looked forward to reading it. Unfortunately, the funniness turned into slapstick humor which was not what I was looking forward to reading.

I thoroughly enjoy humor in the books that I read whether it is mystery, romance, or whatever. This one was just too over the top for me personally, so I gave up about half-way through it and read something else.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Did not finish.

I found the heroine too naive and too annoying. I kept on reading hoping she would gain some maturity or selfrespect.The hero was obviously so not interested in her that it was painful to read about her making herself a spectacle for him.

Then they get caught by smugglers... No I am sorry,when I read a historical romance I expect a bit of imagination but this was ridicilous.
Nov 26, 2012 Federica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finalmente un po' di risate

Ho letto una decina di paginette e mi viene da ridere: questo è gratificante visto il periodo che sto passando...
Proseguendo, risulta scontato che Letty,soprannominata da Richard,Disastro, ne combini di tutti i colori.
Quando riappare Joy con il marito e la zia strega,l'atmosfera diventa un po' più frizzante.
Alla fine tutto è bene quel che finisce bene!
T.M. Cromer
Sep 26, 2015 T.M. Cromer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favs!

There is something incredibly poignant and yet super sweet about this story. I've read it a good half dozen times and it still takes me on a roller coaster of emotion. Jill Barnett has a way with words. You laugh, you cry, you love. Her characters are flawed, and it makes them perfect.
Jan 16, 2012 Mor rated it it was ok
Romanzo noiosissimo!

Non ha nulla a che fare con il primo: Joy la strega.

Il romanzo di Joy era carinissimo essendo molto fantasy e spassoso; questo è irriconoscibile sia per lo stile dell'autrice che per la trama che esula dalla serie.

Una vera delusione!
  • One Forbidden Evening (Grantham, #2)
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • What a Scoundrel Wants (Medieval, #1)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • My Darling Caroline
  • I Do, I Do, I Do
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)
  • Seize the Fire
  • Garters (Small Town Swains)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1; Ladies, #1)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Once an Angel
  • The Kiss (Widows Club, #2)
  • The Devil's Love
  • Nobody's Angel
FACEBOOK Jill Barnett Books
Jill Barnett was born and raised in Southern California, in the kind of idyllic coastal town the Beach Boys made famous. But as a young girl she spent plenty of summers on her grandparents’ farm in Texas.

A gap in jobs in her mid-thirties sent Jill back to college and working toward her Masters degree. “I intended to finish school and teach, perhaps write college textboo
More about Jill Barnett...

Bewitching and Dreaming (2 books)
  • Bewitching

“I can’t walk away from someone I love without saying ‘I love you’ one last time. I’ve known how very
much I’ve loved you for a long time. You think I’m a child and I know nothing about the world or about
love. But I know about love. I know about loss. And I know about loneliness, and goodbyes, and about
never being able to voice those feelings again.
“Perhaps you’ve said those words, Richard, and don’t mean them. But I never have.”