Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)

Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,045 ratings  ·  67 reviews
After her father's death, Georgiana Hartley found herself at the mercy of her lecherous cousin. Seeking refuge at the neighboring estate, she came across a danger of another sort in the form of Dominic Ridgely, Viscount Alton of Candlewick, who was only too willing to help her, even in such a highly improper situation.
Published March 1st 2003 by Mira Books

Holly
This book definitely has it's flaws but it depends on how much your willing to look past it, I guess, and I did so easily, even happily. Sure the heroine has her moments, you know those moments, where she needs a good hard shake until her brains rattle but I couldn't help liking this book.

Miss Georgiana Hartley has come to Candlewick Hall to to beg for assistance against her lecherous cousin, Charles. (what is it about cousins coming onto cousins in these books? Yuck!) Unfortunately there isn't...more
kris
Georgiana is basically too innocent to function. Dominic is like such a rake! He convinces his sister to launch her in society and when he stops in for a visit he's ~STRUCK. She's in insta-love; he figures out his man-feelings and hijinks ensue!

1) This was decently written! Overly simplistic and somewhat repetitious, yes, but the majority of characters were interesting and I was suitably intrigued by the story to keep reading.

2) HOWEVER, some of the December-May tropes were a little gross. Yes,...more
Becca
Cute, quick romantic read. There wasn't a lot of depth to it, but it was very light-hearted and fun to breeze through. The main characters were interesting, the regency setting was fun, and the story was cute. Georgianna was stubborn to a fault and I found her irritating at times. I loved Bella and Arthur. Dominic may have been very handsome, but his attitude, schemeing, and mechinizations were very bothersome to me. Lots of sexual tension, a well-laid plot, and a nice conclusion. I guess you sh...more
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 1994
Length: 332 pages
Setting: Regency London
Sex: Basically clean.
Heroine: 18yo, recently arrived in England from Italy after the death of her father.
Hero: 32yo rogue with no previous intentions to marry.
Almost Cheating: His ex-mistress comes onto him (view spoiler).

A typically gentle Harlequin with a Hero who loves without question and a heroine who is both swept off her fee...more
Catty K
ridiculous and yet tedious at the same time. not exciting at all :(
Mindy
Tasmia
I'm of two minds about this book. I did find it fun and satisfying, but some of the dynamics rubbed me the wrong way. Being party to the hero's deliberate manipulations of the heroine's innocence felt too cynical rather than suitably romantic. There was also the structural weakness of having the strong heroine be too young to take much of a stand about anything in her life - three or four years older and no other substantial change would have made a good difference. I liked the secondary couple,...more
Urszula
The plot was very simple. The book a quick read. As for the characters - Bella was simply beautiful, her husband Arthur perfect. As for the main characters - Georgiana was very naive and young. From time to time very irritating. As for Dominic - in all his vast knowledge of the female mind, he had no idea what a good communication is all about. He would save time and confusion if he only talked to Georgiana.

Overall it was nice, a bit irritating regency romance. And like all other books let in th...more
Kirsti
Yep, I read a romance last night. Now normally I read books that aren't just pure fluff, but it was Valentine's Day and my boyfriend was snoring beside me...you get the the picture. Now, about the book itself. It was actually a really good read, and I enjoyed the banter and fluff between Dominic and Georgiana. Her complete belief that the gorgeous lord could ever find her attractive is believable at first, but then falls down a little toward the end because it's overdone.

Still, I enjoyed reading...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780727883131

Genre? - Historical / Romance

Characters? - Georgiana Hartley / Dominic, Viscount Alton / Julian Ellesmere / Charles Hartley / Belle Winsmere / Arthur Winsmere

Setting? - London (England)

Series? - N/A

Title? - Georgiana is an innocent but does not always seem like it.

Character Analysis? - I absolutely loved Georgiana and Belle! They were both so strong, but also unusual in their view of ton activities. Dominic was an intriguing character - not quite as alpha-male as the heroes...more
Jamie
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I enjoyed this. But for what it is ... it's predictable, entertaining. But the main character was memorable. I'd read this years ago and just today found myself thinking of her, which must mean this book was a step above the usual junk that somehow makes its way to my house through my mom & her sisters. :)
Melanie
Loved: Style, setting, Dominic, Arthur, sensuality, the last chapter of the novel
Eh: Georgiana, Bella
Hated: Charles, length, Georgiana swinging between in-love and determined to push Dominic away when she should have just stuck to one or the other

Took ages to finish because it moved really slowly. Some of the minor plotlines were boring and skipped over. I really liked Dominic and I liked Georgiana for the first half of the book, but she started doing the stupidest things and I kept rolling my e...more
Erin
I love Stephanie Laurens books but you can tell this is from earlier in her career. The story is good but the characters lack polish and the dialog is a bit hard to read.
Melissa
I liked the plot and the conflicts the characters have to over come. However, the lead female, Georgiana is 18 to the lead male, Dominic's 32. I'm not sure if it was the author's intent, but Georgie's naivete and confusion when dealing with Dominic comes across as being airheaded and overall makes her a week character.

When reading from Dominic's perspective, his fondness and affection for Georgie seems almost patronizing. I think I would have enjoyed this better if Georgie had been older or a s...more
Sarah Elizabeth
Good book. Needed something more to garner 4 stars from me. There was a lot of back and forth (Georgiana walks the line of innocent and bumbling idiot) and not enough Romance. If you wait the whole book for them to carnally become lovers you'll have to keep waiting. Book ends right before her "innocence" is marred. Wanted so bad to hear the romantic dialogue of them connecting as lovers - pillow talk, the start of their lives together, etc. - but never got it.
On to the next book...
Mary Beth
This was a lovely regency romance with a set of very wonderful if slightly frustrating characters. I enjoyed everything about it.
Book Him Danno
A sweet romance that is just that...sweet....absolutely no Sex! The romance grows slowly and the book was longer then I would have expected, but the romance made a natural progression and even with the twists and turns the whole book was an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon at home on a cool rainy day.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes romance or wants to give the genre a try. A good story to boot.
Linda
Charming, on the innocent side.

Georgianna Hartley, newly arrived from Italy, turns up on Dominic's doorstep, literally, looking for help.

Dominic Ridgely has no plans to marry, just a revolving door of mistresses from the ton. But Georgianna stirs something in his heart.

Wonderful change of character for Dominic, Georgianna's transition from Italy to English life is nicely done.
Meli
This novel glorifies the passionate romance between a lady (in dire circumstances) and a Lord... both of which display the old timey idea of ladies of a higher birth being blissfully unaware of the pleasures a lord should know about. I thought the pairing was very true for the plot's time period (older guy, younger lady), but... there could be more to it.
Brandy
I absolutely loved this read. The characters were amazing and the story-line was not only easy to follow, but also an interesting contrast to the usual romantic reads.
Deedee
I liked this one. Sometimes Georgie was so innocent that it got on my nerves. Especially since she lived in Italy most of her life. But what really made this story was the fact that what was proper in England was just not so in Italy. It was a good read. It made me laugh and mad sometimes but it was still simply good.

Happy Reading!!! :)
Patty
I enjoy Laurens' series very much. This romance is one of her earlier works with no apparent connection to her series. It was not quite as good as her series, but it was just about what I wanted. A quick fun read that required no thought. I am reading these romances like they are chocolates - my brain is just not up to anything else.
Qtpham85
I gave up and couldn't bear to finish this book. The characters were really annoying, and there was no real tension between them. I found myself needing to scan through every chapter because it was putting me to sleep and I just wanted to be done with the book. Clearly, Stephanie Laurens had greatly improved since 1994.
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
Complete fluff, too light even for brain candy. No serious, compelling plot. A heroine who's tstl for a Regency. Main male lead is a wordly man of the ton, who is considerably older and wiser than the heroine, yet he inexplicably feels a pull towards her anyway. Utterly unbelievable love story.
Amy
I never wanted to slap someone stupid as I did the heroine! I mean really??!!! I know some people are slow on the up take but man I got frustrated with her! The hero wasn't all that with it either, but at least he had an excuse because men are usually clueless about women.
Natalie Duvall
This book was well-written and had an enjoyable enough plot. Unfortunately the timing just wasn't right for me to read it, and I didn't make it through. Sometime down the road I might pick it up again. Don't let my "couldn't finish" tag keep you away from it, though.
Sophia
So I pretty much skimmed through most of the first half of the book. It was alright not up to par with the rest of her books. Georgie and Dominic were kind of flat characters. And the whole refusal of marriage proposals got really tiring by the end. They were both being dumb.
Vivianne
An early sweet romance from a writer known for sizzle. I enjoyed seeing the beginnings of the dynamic she usually explores, though the book has lots of newbie awkwardnesses too. A keeper for me--a fantastic way to work out how to develop my own writing.
Carla_Collette
I liked this light, gentle regency romance, a reissue of a 1994 novel. It does not have the typical elements of Stephanie Lauren's later romances, lacking a mystery or suspense backstory and steamy scenes. Instead, it's a simple, clean romance.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • Back in Society (The Poor Relation, #6)
  • Once a Scoundrel (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #2)
  • Marrying Harriet (The School for Manners, #6)
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • Notorious Rake, Innocent Lady (Ramsden Brothers, #1)
  • Paradise Valley
  • No More Sweet Surrender
  • The Bachelor List (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • Simply Unforgettable (Simply Quartet #1)
  • The Lady Is Tempted
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Laurens and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Laurens and...more
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)