Start by marking “An Unwilling Conquest (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
An Unwilling Conquest  (Regencies, #7; Lester Family, #3)

An Unwilling Conquest (Regencies #7)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,267 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Seeing his brother happily accept marriage, Harry Lester is a little more cautious, after being burned by love once before. His chance meeting with Lucinda Babbacombe brings him yet another situation for potential love. And who wouldn't fall for a smart, business-savvy beauty? It doesn't take long before Lucinda falls in love with Harry and wants to marry him. Harry has hi ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published November 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about An Unwilling Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unwilling Conquest

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasTempt Me at Twilight by Lisa KleypasThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Historical Romances - Married Couples
195th out of 358 books — 650 voters
The Only Good Roman by Christine Elaine BlackA Rose for Lancaster by Christine Elaine BlackTaurus by Christine Elaine BlackOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Only Good Roman Returns by Christine Elaine Black
Historical Romances
86th out of 225 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean
Oct 07, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
I almost returned this book despite just downloading it from the library. I am very close to being burned out on Stephanie Laurens even though I do enjoy her books. However, this was a nice change. The story focused on the main characters with elements of intrigue on the periphery. This is by no means her more in-depth romantic suspense novel that she is usually known for. It's a nice light story with elements of intrigue but we know from the get-go who the bad guys are and in fact, I felt it ad ...more
Kelly
At first I was 'unwilling' (Don't hate me) to read this novel based on the fact that I had only slightly enjoyed one of Laurens other novels before, but actually I really enjoyed 'The Unwilling Conquest'.
The characters were well-developed and I enjoyed their flirtationship and banter as much as their story. They were both sharp and witty as well as being traditionally romantic and flowery as most Regency novel characters are.

I only gave it three stars because while it was a good read it was en
Lita Bouquard
Dec 28, 2014 Lita Bouquard rated it it was ok
Book 3- Brother Harry rescues a widow and her step daughter and the from that moment he fights the urge to marry.
I liked Widow Babbacombe despite the name. Lucinda knows she wants Harry from the get go. She is business minded and keeps surprising and annoying Harry with her ability to safely accomplish things.

She has common sense and intelligence.

She has a great scene at the end where she defends herself.

Harry's aunt Agatha - a plotter who is determined to help Lucinda bring Harry to his knees
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 1996
Length: 334 pages
Setting: Newcastle, Regency period.
Sex: Fade to black. Infrequent.
Heroine: 28yo (view spoiler) widow with stepdaughter. Married to a much older man at 16. Now co-owner (with stepdaughter) of many inns across the country.
Hero: 34yo. Runs the Lester stud.
Includes: Excerpt fromA Comfortable Wife by Stephanie Laurens.

Another easy Regency romance from Laurens. A mature relationship with two strong, independent peop
Melissa Blanchard
Mar 05, 2014 Melissa Blanchard rated it it was amazing
I recommend - "An Unwilling Conquest Lester Family Saga, Book 3" by Stephanie Laurens audiobook narrated by Nellie Chaltant.

Sound quality was clear and easy listening. Nellie created distinct voices for all the characters.

Stephanie's dialog was flowing and fun weaving a story of a young widow traveling to investigate her inherited Inns. The widow is a strong woman that understands business but shows compassion as well.

I enjoyed the drama and the comedy in the story - well crafted. Just enough
Marina

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self;

()()()()()()()()()()()
Sheila Melo
Feb 09, 2015 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Favorite of the Series

"In my opinion, Mrs. Babbacombe, women like you should not be allowed out alone."

THE STORY: Harry Lester is a rake with a new fortune and as a result the women of the ton are now after him in earnest. When he retreats to Newmarket for the races, he comes across an overturned carriage. He meets Mrs. Lucinda Babbacombe, a widow who is independent and self-assured. Although the attraction between them is immediate, Harry is determined to resist the snare of this virtuous wi
Netha
May 22, 2011 Netha rated it it was amazing
buku ke 3 dari lester family saga
selain cynster series aq paling suka lester ini apalagi bukunya cuman 3 jadi ga pusing2 amat hunting novel2nya hehehehehe

bercerita ttg harry lester, putera ke 2 keluarga Lester & my fave.

Harry, saat hendak ke newsmarket menolong kereta yg mengalami kecelakaan.
didalamnya adl Mrs. Lucinda Babbacombe & puteri tirinya heather (xixixixixxii namanya lucu).
tidak menyetujui pilihan hotel keluarga babbacombe, harry mengantarkan mereka pada bibinya, Em, yg tinggal
Kirsten
Oct 08, 2013 Kirsten rated it it was ok
This is another in the Lester Family series. Harry the third child is the third in the family to avow never to marry. Both Lenore and Jack have fallen in love unexpectedly and then married that leaves Harry and Gerald as the two single family members. Harry, a renown rake with a hurtful secret seems to all intents determined to carry on being just that sort of person in his relationships. However, from the moment Harry rescues the widow Mrs Lucinda Babbacombe from an overturned carriage fate app ...more
Kathy
Mar 28, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Manuela
Oct 29, 2012 Manuela rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I have a question. I am not very good in remembering titles of books and I noticed lately that I keep taking the same books off the shelves in my library, thinking I have a new (=one I haven't read yet) book in my hands and after the first sentence I know, I have read it before. It is a different cover but the characters and the story is familiar. How do I avoid that? Whitout starting to read (I wouldn't put it down then)...as you noticed I have a shelf re-read now.
But back to the book. I love S
Helene Harrison
Review - I felt that less of a connection was made with both Harry and Lucinda than the characters in the previous books. I also wish that, instead of the last book focusing on Philip, Baron Ruthven, it instead focused on Gerald Lester, who has been quite left out, and is an intriguing character. I didn't like An Unwilling Conquest as much as the previous two in the Lester series. I did like the background question over her guardianship and the state of her first marriage. It added a little some ...more
Amani
Mar 01, 2015 Amani rated it it was amazing
This book was such a good read and I highly recommend it. The editing I suspect was done thoroughly because there were very little, maybe none at all, grammatical mistakes. But overall, the book stood to its point. It truly was "An Unwilling Conquest."

The description at the back didn't do the book justice, but, as they say, "Never judge a book by its cover...or should I say, "Never judge a book by its 'back.' Haha.
Maria
Oct 15, 2014 Maria rated it it was ok
I had trouble following the "logic" of this book. A lot did not make much sense. I finished it, but the best parts were Lucinda and her business affairs rather than her romance with Harry, which says it all, in my opinion.
janice feenstra
Feb 13, 2015 janice feenstra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale

I feel this story was very well written with just enough nuance and adventure to keep the story moving to an exciting end.
Kath
Apr 04, 2014 Kath rated it it was ok
Mills and Boon set in the Georgian period without the wit of Georgette Heyer.
Amira
Nov 30, 2010 Amira rated it liked it
Dodgey title I know, but surprisingly theres more plot and emotional description in this book than passion or romance, especially for this typical genre. I found it slow at times, the second half slowed down heaps. Harry's continued resistance and distance, who is actually the unwilling conquest and the storyline could have been much more stronger and emotive, it severely lacked tension especially in regards to the more action and romance parts.
Mary Enright
Apr 02, 2016 Mary Enright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Nothing more to say, if it is Laura Stevens it is good and I read all her books, that's all
Judith
Sep 27, 2011 Judith rated it it was ok
I felt SL has a lot more to say than this book represents. I don't know what happened, but it lost it's momentum rather quickly. The first part was good but then something happened and then poof! The last two or three chapters were a blur because I turned the pages without reading until I came to a page that had something to add. No, this isn't a good one but I will continue to be a fan, and not judge her on one not-so-good book.
Rachel Rogers
Nov 08, 2009 Rachel Rogers rated it it was ok
Tedious. I kept wanting to put this down but had invested so much into it that I wanted to keep going. The middle of the book was a waste. The beginning and end saved it as much as could be for me. If it had stuck with either romance or suspense it would have been better - the mixture has been done much better by others. Harry's insistence to NOT tell Lucinda what was going on or even what had happened at the end irks me.
Tuesday's Child
Nice holiday read.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Terzo della serie, anche questo si mantiene sulla linea degli altri due XD Il livello di sensualità cresce, anche qui abbiamo un'abbozzo di storia d'amore parallela e uno pseudo-complotto dei "cattivo" ma niente di emozionante, nada colpi di scena...tutto molto classico insomma XD E io do che la Laurens sa fare molto di meglio quindi deduco che sia una serie sottotono XD
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Harry is a hot man but the story was not what I was expecting. Harry is in no mood to be tied and bound in matrimony. But timing is key to his down fall. Lucinda Babbacombe brings him closer to love than he wanted to be or expect to be. He works hard to avoid the lure of seduction that is woven deeply around Mrs. Babbacomb.
Mon
Dec 25, 2012 Mon rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book very much. A pity that so many writers lack the flair to write a romance novel without needing a side-plot of danger lurking from some external source. Does anyone still possess the skill to weave romance between the two main characters only? Please do let me know if you find such...
Kit
Jul 23, 2009 Kit rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book
I listened to this romance and perhaps because it was audio I noticed just how many hours went by where Harry continued to stubbornly keep his stance against declaring his love. It went on for ever.... The story had a great frame and could have been much more fulfilling if SL hadn't drawn it out.
Elke
Jan 08, 2015 Elke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
Stephanie Laurens is a must read. No matter what she writes, I know it will ALWAYS be amazing.
I highly recommend reading this book and all by this author.
this is a lovely steamy romance with twists and turns that make it a fun and exciting read.
Ashley
Nov 17, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
I really I don't think he was that unwilling. Maybe a little reluctant at first but not unwilling. Overall I loved Lucinda for her courage and adventurous nature. And Harry was a little to stone like in the ton, but heart warming in private.
Tasneem
Jun 28, 2011 Tasneem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Laurens is such a strong voice in regency romance. Her heroines are all slightly unconventional, they have a real personality and voice as opposed to so many who just seem copies of themselves.
Mum
Nov 16, 2013 Mum rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
There was no spark for me! The dangers took forever to build. There was so much potential that never came came to fruition!I kept getting bored, which is unusual for me with Laurens's novels.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • Fate Takes a Hand
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • The Return Of The Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • Shalako/Catlow
  • A Taste of the Forbidden (Buenos Aires Nights, #1)
  • A Dangerous Man (Women and Men, #2)
  • Paradise Valley
  • No More Sweet Surrender
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • How to Propose to a Prince (Royle Sisters, #3)
  • Bedding Lord Ned (Duchess of Love, #1)
  • The Baby Jackpot (Safe Harbor Medical, #10)
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • The Notorious Knight (King John, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

Regencies (8 books)
  • Tangled Reins (Regencies, #1)
  • Four In Hand (Regencies, #2)
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • Fair Juno
  • The Reasons For Marriage (Regencies, #5; Lester Family, #1)
  • A Lady Of Expectations (Regencies, #6; Lester Family, #2)
  • A Comfortable Wife