Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3)

Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,024 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The books in this collection tell the stories of six American girls who lived long ago:
Felicity, a spunky, spritely colonial girl, full of energy and independence Josefina, an Hispanic girl whose heart and hopes are as big as the New Mexico sky Kirsten, a pioneer girl of strength and spirit who settles on the frontier Addy, a courageous girl determined to be free in the m...more
Published September 28th 1990 by American Girl (first published January 1st 1986)

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
14th out of 124 books — 40 voters
The Escape of Princess Madeline by Kirstin PulioffHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDigitus 233 by K.D. EmersonSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceThe Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn
Great Middle Grade Reads
390th out of 406 books — 429 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda Caldwell
Review from The Book Babe.

Kirsten has always been one of my favorite American Girls. I've always had a soft-spot for anything Swedish and Kirsten and her family traveled a long journey across the Atlantic Journey from Sweden to America. In this installment, we find Kirsten a bit homesick for Sweden. In Sweden, St. Lucia's Day is celebrated and marks the beginning of the Christmas season.

Kirsten and her cousins, Anna and Lisbeth, decide to throw a St. Lucia's Day surprise for their families. The...more
Sara
I read this years ago when it was a much newer book and there were only three American Girls. Kirsten was my favorite because she looked the most like me, and because I have always had a soft spot for stories about frontier life, though I have to admit I always loved Samantha's clothes.

In this book, Kirsten is about to experience her first Christmas season in America. She wants things to be the same as they were in Sweden, and that includes having all of the same items they had in Sweden, some o...more
Halee
Kirsten's Surprise is part of the American Girl Book Series. This tale follows a young Sweden girl who recently moved to Minnesota with her family. Christmas is near and there is a huge snow storm that hit their cabin. Kirsten and her father get caught in the snowstorm on their way home from town. Kirsten must think fast because her father is hurt and they cannot stay stuck on the road in their wagon.

This book would be great to have different cause and effects with solutions that students choose...more
Erin
I just got done reading a bunch of my old childhood books again. I blitzed through the first four Kirsten books (Meet Kirsten, Kirsten Learns a Lesson, Kirsten's Surprise, and Happy Birthday, Kirsten). I have this thing about re-reading books that I haven't read since I was 10 or younger... in one way, it's fantastic because you can relive those moments when you were first falling in love with characters or, in my case, historical fiction. However, re-reading these books can also be really reall...more
Felicity The Magnificent
I liked this book because Christmas was coming. This was her first Christmas in America and she knew that things were going to be different. In Sweden, they had a holiday called Saint Lucia's Day. She asked her cousins Anna and Lisbeth to help her. They made a crown for her, but they couldn't get a dress and a ribbon, because they were in the trunks and Kirsten's family had to leave the trunks back in Maryville when they didn't have enough money to buy a wagon. So one night, on the night before...more
Miri
Kirsten in finally feeling at home in America, Christmas time is here and Kirsten wants to celebrate Saint Lucia, the Swedish holiday celebration, with her cousins, but Kirsten needs her special holiday things from their trunk and it is still far away in town. Can Kirsten get her father to retrieve the trunk so she and her cousins can plan their special surprise for everyone and make this first holiday in America one worth remembering?
Phoebe
Oh, this was wonderful.

Somehow between the first book in the series and the third, Kirsten has solidified into a really strongly drawn character. She is not what I'd call "flawed" or even "real" in the same way Molly is, but she's incredibly likable, kind-hearted, and has, as her father says, "heart." Heart here is defined not as sensitivity or mushyness but instead moxie and lovingkindness.

The themes are close to those in Molly's Surprise--Kirsten is clinging to older Christmas traditions--but...more
Lexi
I don't usaully review the books I read as a child, mainly because I don't remember much about them and I was unable to read them with a critical eye. But this book, I will review.

I grew up in a family that was forming its own traditions. Call it a symptom of the broken family, but we didn't have a very strong sense of where we had come from. Reading about a young woman with such a close community, sense of family history, and tradition set, I grew to understand that there was more than commerci...more
Bree
This review is from the perspective of a mother - Kirsten's surprise centers on Kirsten's wish to celebrate Christmas in the way she was accustomed back home - with St. Lucia's Day as the focus. Kirsten comes across a bit selfish and impulsive with her obsession with getting their trunks out of storage, but her courage and clear-head during the snowstorm show how much she is maturing. I like how this series is really focused on the trials and successes of pioneer life while still bringing it bac...more
I love when a character becomes a strong individual and also learns selflessness. Kirsten grew so much as a person in this book. Her relationship with he teacher, her cousins, and her father grew bounds. She was worried that her Saint Lucia's Day would be ruined so she took matters into her own hands and in the end she made it happen. By being so pro-active she had the best day ever.
Heather
I have never been to Minnesota--reading this book, though, I could feel the cold that my Swedish immigrant ancestors must have felt and see the masses of snow. A wonderful story about what children are capable of in a crisis, plus it is interesting to learn about St. Lucia's Day. I can't believe they didn't light things on fire when wearing those candles on their heads.
Ashley
This is Kirsten's Christmas story. I liked it because Kirsten and her cousins arrange a surprise Saint Lucia's Day celebration for their family. Abby liked it because Kirsten finally got her doll back. Now Abby can stop interrupting me to ask if Kirsten is going to get her doll back. Apparently that possibility was worse than Kirsten and her father getting stuck in a blizzard!
Shelli
Life in a new country has lots of challenges, especially if you are a pioneer on a large farm. With winter time fast approaching there is much to do on the farm leaving very little if no time to enjoy those wonderful Swedish holiday traditions. However, Kirsten is determined to surprise the family with a Saint Lucia's Day celebration they will never forget.
Marya
Challenges abound on the Minnesota frontier in 1854, and in this book, Kirsten faces her first blizzard while out on the open road with her Papa. Despite learning all about St. Lucia's day and the Swedish customs surrounding it, the blizzard is what stole my 4-year-old's attention while reading this aloud to her. Also, how blizzards can kill people.
Mary Bronson
I enjoyed reading this one. I thought Kristen was brave and very caring in this book. She helped her dad through the blizzard and she wanted to surprise the family with a traditional St. Lucia Day on Christmas. It was interesting to learn about it.
Emily
Nov 27, 2013 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: my grandparents
I think this is my favorite book in the Kirsten series. I love how hard Kirsten works to try and have a Swedish tradition surprise for her family for Christmas. I think this story is told with a good amount of suspense and keeps me reading to find out if Kirsten will make her deadline of needing to get her trunk home for Christmas.
Anna
Kirsten, Anna and Elizabeth were planning a surprise for their family. They were going to make Saint Lucia Day come to America! All they had to do is get the blue trunk which had all the stuff they needed. It had the red sash, and the night gown. Then Saint Lucia came. It was the best Saint Lucia Day ever.
Meghan Knox
While I surely don't remember the details, I remember this being my favorite of the Kirsten books
Tanya
As Madeline and I were reading this book together, she commented that it made her appreciate living today when blizzards aren't quite so dangerous, and distances are more easily traversed. It was fun to learn about Swedish Christmas traditions, but again, I didn't find this volume as strong as the first one.
Kristine
remembering reading the same christmas-themed book that you are reading aloud to your own daughter at christmastime? nostalgia hit me like a brick. +1 extra star American Girl, your sneaky marketing trick of using historical fiction to make the books timeless and thus generational is working, goshdangit.
Chrissy
I think this was the first American Girl Series I read, and Kate picked it out for our Christmas story. We only read the first chapter together, then she finished on her own. In this chapter Kirsten is impatient for her families things to be delivered from town. Sounds like the lead up to Christmas to me.
Shannon
Moira really fell in love with this one, more so than other American Girl books we've checked out. She wanted to replicate Kirsten's Santa Lucia Day as closely as possible, without the potential hypothermia.
Rosaleen Leclair
I loved this book so so so so much!This might be my favorite book! The main character Kirsten, really developed! I really felt Kirsten's emotions! The more you read the better the book gets!
Ali Mac Book-Pro
I was never really a fan of American Girl. The books are OK, I guess. But when the dolls, clothes, animals, play-sets, movies, and etc came, I really thought that they went too far...
Rivkah.
My sister Bethany loved reading this book when she was little, and until she got old enough to read through it herself I always read it to her during Christmas.
Robyn
This book was beautiful & has a good ending. We needed a good Kirsten book w/I character death or friends moving away--just a regular, good-natured happy ending!
Tonya
I read this aloud to Natalie (7) and for my history co-op. It kept her and my attention, taught new words, and Swedish and pionneer ways of life.
Helena
I liked Kirsten's surprise because it had a lot of adventure
in it. A lot of hope. It is exciting. A lot of differences too.
Anna
One of my favourites. I wanted to do St. Lucia day at home but figured my family would kill me if I woke them up at 4am. ;)
Tricia
book three, a christmas story. kirsten is determined to bring old world christmas traditions to the new world.
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Addy's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Addy, #3)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1) Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4) Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2) Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)