Start by marking “American Girls Collection Kirsten 1854 Set of 6 (1 Meet Kirsten, 2 Kirsten Learns a Lesson, 3 Kirsten's Surprise, 4 Happy Birthday, Kirsten, 5 Kirsten Saves the Day, 6 Changes for Kirsten, Volumes 1-6)” as Want to Read:

American Girls Collection Kirsten 1854 Set of 6 (American Girls: Kirsten #1-6)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4,901 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
The perfect way to learn about Kirsten is with a complete set of her six books in an attractive slipcase. Books include: Meet Kirsten, Kirsten Learns a Lesson, Kirsten's Surprise, Happy Birthday, Kirsten!, Kirsten Saves the Day, and Changes for Kirsten.
Paperback
Published 1992 by Scholastic (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about American Girls Collection Kirsten 1854 Set of 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Girls Collection Kirsten 1854 Set of 6

Emily
May 09, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reasons why this book was awesome:
-for some reason as a child I had a thing for plots that involved deadly fevers.
-kirsten is a cool name.
-one room school houses
-swedes!
-santa lucia
-braid loops
Sarah H
Jan 17, 2017 Sarah H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this audio book series in the car, and my boys even enjoyed it.
Liz
Jul 14, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read these books since I was a kid. I think I was ten when I got my Kirsten doll for Christmas. At the time, I was really into the 'Little House on the Prairie' books and I was really excited to get my doll.

Unfortunately, I actually had to return my doll soon after getting her when her eyelashes began to fall out. But I soon got a replacement and she became one of my fondest childhood toys. My sister and I would play with our dolls for hours (she had Samantha) making up new stories an
Krista Rey
Apr 24, 2014 Krista Rey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Happy Birthday Kristen and I loved it. It is easy to read and has appropriate vocabulary for the 2-3 grades. The pictures are beautiful and it is a book that kids can relate too. This book is about a girl named Kristen whose family came to America from Sweeden. In this book, the family celebrates Kristen's birthday. The book starts out with her and her friends making a quilt together at school for their teacher. Kristen loves her friends and loves school. When her mom has a baby and gets ...more
Amanda
Kirsten was one of the original American Girls and as such, was a vital piece of my childhood. I can remember lying in the backyard barefooted, feet up, pretending I was an awesome pioneer girl.

One of the most important points of the original American Girls was the use of realistic storylines. I still remember sobbing when Matra died, and feeling so horrible for Kirsten when her little racoon burned down the family home.

The original American Girls were strong, yet open to learning. They were ins
Julie Blackwell
Sep 12, 2016 Julie Blackwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a ton of the American Girl books in my lifetime, but mostly when I was in Mrs. Bailey's third grade class. Kirsten is one of my favorites, but I have loved them all. (Molly is probably my number one, followed by Kit, and a tie for third between Kirsten and Samantha, in case you were wondering.) When library day rolled around, I would go upstairs to the library and often came back to class with an American Girl book tucked under my arm. I would take it home that night and usually fini ...more
Chelsea Gouin
How disappointing. Janet Beeler Shaw is at the wheel of Kirsten's stories, taking over the reins from Valerie Tripp. However, Shaw pushes the fast forward button on the already short stories, skipping over details and somehow making her characters void of any emotion. Kirsten is an immigrant from Sweden, her family wants to make a new home in America, out west to be precise. Vaguely brings up feelings of Little House as Kirsten learns English, picks honey, and burns down her log cabin. There is ...more
Rebecca Abrams
I read Kirsten's Surprise A Christmas Story
Reading level is upper elementary, 640L
It is Historical Fiction

This story was interesting but is limited in audience. I think girls will really enjoy this book. It is about one of the American Girl Dolls, Kirsten, telling the story of her life as a pioneer girl. Kirsten Larson and her family celebrate their first Christmas in America, but they try to keep their old traditions alive. Kirsten tries to celebrate as they would is Sweden telling of her stru
Rachel
Jun 25, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirsten's stories were the most "scary" to me, as she lived in a rational poverty, as an outsider to a fledging, wild nation, that I had never known. I cried at her best friend's death of cholera along the way to the midwest. I scorned strict Miss Winston, who had no feeling for Kirsten's struggles with a new home. I was thrilled that she befriended Singing Bird, and that we got to take a glimpse into native american culture as well. In adulthood, as I come closer to my own ethnicity and immigra ...more
Lola
When I was a little girl, my brother's girlfriend gave me her old Kirsten doll. Unfortunately, I thought that you could hairspray their hair. You really shouldn't, and I tried to fix it by giving her an uneven bob. I always think of my mutilated Kirsten doll when I read these books. Like my doll, Kirsten and her family just keep on surviving whatever is thrown their way. The story of immigrants is the story of America, and I'm happy that American Girl chose to tell Kirsten family. It's also ref ...more
Briana
Nov 18, 2007 Briana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was a doll named Kirsten, one of 5 "American Girl" dolls at the time. She was all I wanted out of life for three years, until finally one glorious Christmas I got her, in her 1854 pioneer outfit, with the "Meet Kirsten" book about her new life in America (she was an immigrant from Sweeden). I have every accessory, book, outfit, and even furniture ever made for her. She was my obsession for a long, long time. The only doll I ever got into, as I was not really a doll girl, but I adored her.
Maggie Wiggins
Some girls love horses, some love dolphins, and some love pioneers. I don't mean to be sexist, but the majority of these fans are girls, in my experience. For the reader who hasn't already discovered the American Girls series, this is a great gateway bus-set. Lightly historical and very relatable, it's a popular choice for second grade book reports in my area. Readalikes: Dear America Series, the American Sisters series by Laurie Lawlor (a very sweet and smart former instructor), and the Little ...more
Q_Jill Burke
I read "Kristen Learns a Lesson" of the American Girl book series. It takes place in 1854 and is about a girl named Kristen Larson and how she adapts to her new school. This book describes school life in the 1800's. It describes how schools had children of all ages in one classroom, how boys usually did not always attend school if there was work to do on the farm, and how a teacher often lived with the families of their students and had little to support learning such as paper, maps, or blackboa ...more
Moegir198
Nov 15, 2010 Moegir198 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine
May 23, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to read to their older children
Skylar and I read this together. We both enjoyed the story and really looked forward to the next chapter each night. It' a great book to read out loud. I think Pate would have enjoyed it too, it has plenty of action and adventure to keep a 6 year old boy entertained!
Apparently I should have been born in the 1800's on a rural homestead because I am really drawn to this type of story (well... the romantic, happily ever after, life is great aspect of it!)
Laurie Moore
Jan 13, 2011 Laurie Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tayler and I read these together. It was fun to talk about the early American immigrants and learn about their lives. She was very excited to find out that Larsen is a family name on her dad's side. She had me do her hair like Kristen's everyday for a week straight. I would recommend these books to anyone. They are great stories and give you an idea of what it was like to be a girl growing up during the 1850s.
Abigail
Mar 23, 2008 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirsten always was my favourite American Girl... even if the first book is a little sad. I do remember this series being my first real introduction to life outside the US. I can still remember a line in there where Kirsten says "Minasota" and the narration comments on her tongue rolling over the foreign word.
Brianne Larson
The Kirsten books are a great historical resource for those in the middle to upper elementary grade levels. Girls especially will love these books as they go through the day to day life of a girl in a different culture/historical time period. I loved the Kirsten books as a young girl because of my Swedish heritage, as Kirsten lives in Sweden. The books are captivating.
MizziQ
Apr 03, 2011 MizziQ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
I loved it when I read it. I was 9 then which almost makes sense. I hate it now which does not mean it is a bad book. I loved the illistrations and at the time it was one of the only books I would read 2twice. I am now ready to give it away. Get rid of it to another 9 year old who it will be for her a lifechanger yet she will soon forget whatever was she thinking. Read it and weep.
Heather Lincoln
Sep 10, 2012 Heather Lincoln rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books as a little girl!! I grew up with Kirsten the American Girl Doll and it was so fun to snuggle up with my doll and read about her life journey. These books are filled with American history, action, and some of the most interesting stories. I recommend these books especially to girls who own this doll or any of the American Girl Dolls.
Kelley
Oct 21, 2010 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewell-s-books
Reviewed by my sever-old-daughter: Kirsten was really full of adventure and lots of great nature stories. It was interesting learning about pioneers and it was fun learning how to make Swedish pancakes. My favorite book was Kirsten Learns A Lesson because she learns a lot about schools and learns how to speak English in a contest.
Cat
Oct 13, 2012 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First American Girl book i ever read, when i was on holiday to the states and i was 7 years old. I loved it, the book came in the whole Kirsten Set and i thought it was lovely, the writing is good, the historical fiction is accurate and the illustrations are lovely i've kept it so one day i can give it to my children :)
Sarah Maddaford
After Felicity, Kirsten and Samantha were pretty much tied in my eyes. Felicity had a more interesting life, but Samantha's surroundings were more interesting. Kirsten had it hard living on the frontier, but she and her family made sacrifices in order to fulfill their dreams. She was strong and intelligent without being too much.
Candice Attrill
Nov 02, 2015 Candice Attrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
no my daughter is a little young for these books. I put them on one day, and she said down and started listening with me. She loved them and Kiersten seems to be one of her favorite American girls. We have since moved on to Rebecca, but Kiersten's stories kept her completely captivated from her trip from Sweden to her birthday party at the barn raising to her mommy having a baby etc.
Carol Hardesty
In my school days, one of my favorite time periods to learn about was the pioneer days. So naturally I was drawn to the 'Kirsten' series in the "American Girls" collection. I especially liked the added dimensionality of having Kirsten and her family be Swedish immigrants. Not only was I learning about America during its westward expansion, but I was also learning Swedish customs and traditions.
Kelly
Jul 13, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ag-books
Good collection of Kirsten's stories. The only one with Looking Back is the last one, however. And that sucks. I like the real history after the stories.

They are sweet stories and realistic. Easy to read.
Emilymenz
Aug 10, 2011 Emilymenz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "American Girl Dolls" came out during my girlhood. My sister and I both had the Kirsten doll, and I don't think she would have meant as much to either of us without the stories. We loved that doll because we knew her through her books.
Casey
May 10, 2007 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, Emily: I was never the biggest Kirsten fan. However, I think this has more to do with the fact that I though Laura Ingalls Wilder was a sap, and they had that whole prairie thing in common. I liked the older sister, and was for some reason super excited that her name was Lisbeth.
Larchip
These series was not my favorite one. I feel there would be a few clarifications I would want to make with my daughter about what is right and wrong. Do you take someones stuff even if they are dead and have no family? I don't know maybe in 1854 you do.
Angel
Sep 07, 2008 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: lydia-age-6
Excellent, just like the other American Girl books. Kirsten immigrates to Minnesota from Norway, so it focuses on life on the American Frontier as well as what it was like to learn new customs and a new language as an immigrant in 1853.
  • Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)

American Girls: Kirsten (6 books)
  • Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1)
  • Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)
  • Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)