Start by marking “Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965-2003” as Want to Read:
Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965-2003

Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965-2003

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Since the 1965 publication of her first book, Dream Barker, selected for the Yale Younger Poets Award, Jean Valentine has published eight collections of poetry to critical acclaim. Spare and intensely-felt, Valentine's poems present experience as only imperfectly graspable. This volume gathers together all of Valentine's published poems and includes a new collection, Door ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Wesleyan University Press

To ask other readers questions about Door in the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Door in the Mountain

Timothy
Even better than milk and cookies. In fact, I think Jean Valentine IS milk and cookies. Personified. In the form of an angel. Disguised as a human. Who tastes like milk and cookies.
Dawn
Ahhhhhh. Everybody, all at once, with me: ahhhhhh. What a pleasure it is to read poems that don't want anything but to be honest. What a releif.
Amy E.
Jean Valentine is amazing, on the page, in person - you name it. I am not worthy.
Gary McDowell
Not sure what I think of this so far. For Olsen's class we are reading the New Poems and the latest book, The Cradle of the Real Life. I don't really like them. It's hard for me to get invested in her short poems. I like short poems. I love Graham Foust and Merwin's short lyrics. The earlier stuff, like The Messenger and even her first book, Dream Barker, however, are enthralling. Maybe I can bring those books up in class? I don't know if I'll have time to read them as deeply as I'd like by Wedn ...more
Judy
We received this book in May 2011, and I could not put it down. The selections cover a longish stretch of time, and we can see the changes in the poet's viewpoint and also the view itself. Her images are arresting, and I suggest reading them aloud, whether anyone is listening or not. When I heard them read, my experience was unlike that of reading them silently to myself.
Kent
Valentine's method of investigating a drama, using multiple lyrical perspective, is compelling. I find that I want more, and she gives less with each succeeding book. Dream Barker is so good it's like an institution in and of itself. But then the material gets whittled back. I guess I'm just one of those spoiled brat readers.
Jana
i went to a poetry reading of hers and instantly adored her. i want to be like ms. valentine when i'm older, thoughtful with a quiet but poignant sense of humor and exuding wisdom. at least, that's the impression i got :) love reading her.
(also, for those anne readers, she reminded me of miss lavendar in book 4).
Jimmy
Sep 25, 2012 Jimmy added it
totally rules. why the hell didn't anybody tell me about this shit before? i gotta go cruising on weird blogs and tracking footnotes to find the goods. i'm in grad school and my best teachers are still my friends and the damn internet.
Will
May 29, 2009 Will marked it as to-read
This was featured in a podcast of Poetry Off the Shelf (2009-04-27). It's a sprawling collection of poems, but from the little I heard, it sounds really interesting.
Aran
Jan 16, 2013 Aran rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I tried reading this collection last semester but just couldn't get into it-- I know others who love it, so maybe I'll try again. Later.
Jenni
Valentine is one of my favorite living poets. Very spare and intimate lyrics. My favorite in this book: AMERICAN RIVER SKY ALCOHOL FATHER.
Christina Olivares
have studied under jean twice and she is marvelous. her poems are all play and insight, small diamonds. i love them.
Krista
Not bad, but I expected more down-to-earth dazzle.
Yvette
Shapeshifting is mandatory as a poet
Kate
WHAT FRESH HEAVEN IS THIS
Lynn
Me chingo mi madre
Betta
gorgeous.
Kalika Bower
Kalika Bower marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Cathy
Cathy is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
John Nooney
John Nooney marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Erin Paasch
Erin Paasch marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Jameshochberger
Jameshochberger marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Cori Ruetten
Cori Ruetten marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jeremy Joseph
Jeremy Joseph marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Eeh LaLa
Eeh LaLa marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Stelle
Stelle marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
  • Lawrence Booth's Book of Visions
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • Garbage
  • Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems
Jean Valentine (born April 27, 1934) is an American poet, and currently the New York State Poet (2008–2010). Her poetry collection, Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965–2003, was awarded the 2004 National Book Award for Poetry.

Her most recent book Break the Glass (Copper Canyon Press, 2010) was a finalist for the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. Her first book, Dream Barker, won the
More about Jean Valentine...
Little Boat Break the Glass The Cradle Of The Real Life Home Deep Blue The River at Wolf