Start by marking “Bobby Fischer: Profile of a Prodigy” as Want to Read:
Bobby Fischer: Profile of a Prodigy

Bobby Fischer: Profile of a Prodigy

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Revealing biography of thecontroversial chess champion, written by a chess player who knew Fischer since the latter was 11. It chronicles Fischer's tumultuous public andprivate lives, including an analysis of 90 games that trace his rise to supremacy plus a complete history of the1972 Fischer-Spassky match. 26 photographs. ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 480 pages
Published 1989 by Dover Publications (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Bobby Fischer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobby Fischer

Adrian
Nearly everyone who has some decent experiance with chess has heard about Bobby Fischer and his mysterious behavior. He is one of the best chess players in history and I bought the book recently to get more insight into his character and mind. The book has about 400 pages and a little more than a half consists of his biography from childhood up to 1972 Fischer-Spassky Championship and the other part is 80 selected Fischer games with very good annotations and turnament results.

The biography in it
Charles
I had this book laying around for a few years but because I am interested in reading the recent follow up biography "Endgame", also by Brady, I thought I should read this one first.
The events of Fischer's early years and rise to world champion chronicled in this volume are particularly sad knowing the decline and erratic behavior that only increased after the final events covered here take place.
All of Fischer's eccentricities and social awkwardness, even rudeness are here still excused as ind
Matthew
Most non-chess people will find this book a good biography of Bobby Fischer's life up until he won the title of world chess champion. It might be a little tedious for the non-chess enthusiast; however, Frank Brady is an excellent author and he sets up the scenes in a way that Fischer's life comes alive. I am a chess enthusiast so I am a little biased about this book. If you love chess and love Fischer's chess genius, you will love this book. I think many people unfairly judge Fischer's behavior ...more
Dave Jones
Fascinating story of, in my mind, the greatest chessplayer of all time. You may legitimately challenge this assertion but there is no doubt that he was the most influential player who ever picked up a pawn.

This is probably the definitive bio on Bobby right up to his conquest of the world championship in 1972. It's probably a good thing that there is no sequel as his later years were marked by antisemitism, anti-Americanism, and downward spiral into insanity. Here we get to experience his precoci
David
May 09, 2007 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chess fans
I read the book in 2004 in Honolulu, Hawaii. My New Year's resolution was to take up chess just for mental exercise. Besides I didn't have a TV at the time and my only entertainment was my laptop which didn't have an internet connection. So I bought a Chessmaster program to while away the time.

The book itself was interesting for a neophyte of chess. At the end of the book it gave some Fischer games but since I just started they were too hard for me to understand. I sold the book which I regret n
Travis Timmons
A bit sensationalist, but still invaluable.
Johnny
I liked how this was primarily a biography and not a book of annotated chess games. It's apparent that the author is a fan of Bobby Fischer and also a personal acquaintance of the subject. I enjoy reading books about singular individuals who accomplish amazing things, and this book fits that bill. Thankfully, the book only covered the early part of Fischer's life, right up to the point where he wins the FIDE world chess championship -- we're spared the looniness and anti-Semitic views of the Bob ...more
Jared Rietveld
4.5 stars. This was a fascinating look into one the life, motivations, psychology, and thrill of one of the best chess players in the history of the game. The annotated games at the end were a great learning tool, as well.
Aaron Burke
After Bobby Fischer's recent death, I reread Frank Brady's masterful telling of Fischer's solitary, willful ascent to the chess summit. Conventional schooling was not designed for Fischer. His disregard for "political correctness" and conventional social mores perfectly fits his extraordinary gifts and tenacious fighting personality. Hey, he was even was born in Chicago!
Emilio
Feb 26, 2008 Emilio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chess enthusiasts
Recommended to Emilio by: adrian
Shelves: chess
i'm by no means a biography reader, but this is great for any chess player who's heard of fischer (basically, any chess player). it's very informative, giving a deep impression of the tournament environment, and of bobby fischer's own play and personality.
i agree wholeheartedly with adrian's review of this book.
Charles
Bobby Fischer was one of the greatest chess players ever, but something of a troubled fellow. This was a very good book about his life up to and including his years playing tournament chess.
Pete
Not as humorous or easily read as Bobby Fischer v. the Rest of the World, but a detailed and more objective account nonetheless.
Micmoc
Jun 28, 2008 Micmoc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in Bobby Fischer's chess
Bobby Fischer's in depth story. Full of juicy stories! I love this book
Jorge Sanchez
Jorge Sanchez marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Rahim Dharssi
Rahim Dharssi marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
MRM
MRM marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frank Brandy is the author of numerous critically acclaimed biographies. Internationally recognised as the greatest authority on the life and career of Bobby Fischer, he is also president of New York City's Marshall Chess Club and was the founding editor of Chess Life.
More about Frank Brady...
Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness Citizen Welles Onassis: An Extravagant Life Orson Welles: A Prodigious Life James Boswell, the Later Years, 1769-1795