Start by marking “Silent Victims (Prime Suspect, #3)” as Want to Read:
Silent Victims (Prime Suspect, #3)

Silent Victims (Prime Suspect #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The drag queen named Vera Reynolds swayed on-stage singing "Falling in Love Again."And a sixteen-year-old boy lay in Vera's fire-engulfed apartment . . . very, very dead.He was a "rent boy," a sex-for-hire street kid who catered to the tastes of special customers.It was the kind of murder Soho's Vice Squad saw often.But the influential do-gooder who was a prime suspect in ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Dell (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Victims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Victims

Christine
May 26, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Tennison has always been such an amazingly inspirational character for me. It's such a shame that this is the last book Lynda la Plante wrote about her. I love strong female characters and Tennison is the best.

It's hard to review a book when you have seen the television version about a million times. What struck me was the theme of abuse of power by high ranking paedophiles and how these crimes are hard to bring out into the open. It is still very relevant to today in the post Jimmy Savile
Sharon
Apr 08, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Fabulous read. DI Tennyson on the trail. There are so many people in this book I had to write them down to keep track but that said, riveting read. Quick also, this was easily a one sitting read. Gritty, compelling.
Ryan G
Mar 29, 2012 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every good journey must end. I'm still not sure why, but that's what I've been told my entire life. So needless to say, my time with Jane Tennison has sadly come to an end. I'm still not sure why only three books were written or why the American version of the show had to come to a swift end. Tennison is one of those characters that deserves to live a long and healthy life, one where she always comes up on top despite those rooting for her failure.

With Silent Victims, Lynda La Plante moves Jane
Margaret
Jan 27, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
listened to this on a recent road trip. DI Jane Tennyson is a woman driven... to uncover the truth and to find her way in the world. This was a heartbreaking story about young 'rent boys' in London. And although I understand the reality of the sex trade, I am shocked and grieved to see / hear about its victims. This mystery was compelling enough that we finished it up after we were done driving. Nicely paced and characterized shory.
David Matthews
Mar 29, 2015 David Matthews rated it it was amazing
What an absolute cracking series of books the Prime Suspect books are. Recommend anyone to give them a try, even if you have seen the T.v. Series. Shame the adventures of DCI Jane Tennison had to come to an end.
Nancy
Nov 24, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
La Plante leads the reader on a labyrinth journey (but such a satisfying journey!) into the darkest parts of London's society. You have to pay attention though, as the twists and turns keep coming.
Irene King
May 10, 2015 Irene King rated it really liked it
What a good read , the author certainly gets behind the character , that much going on brilliant , shame it's the last enjoyed reading all three books
Eugene
Oct 01, 2014 Eugene rated it really liked it
awesome! even if i knew the ending from the show. wish there were more :(
Robert Palmer
I enjoyed the first two books. This one however was a major disappointment. Jane quite simply was a rude individual with no redeeming features. The author seemed to want to bring through a humane side to otley but Jane wanted no part of it. The other two worked well as books. This one should have stayed as a TV episode.
Clare Macdonald
Dec 08, 2015 Clare Macdonald rated it really liked it
Set in the 1990s there's homophobia and sexism evident commonly in the police force
Eric Pape
Aug 08, 2015 Eric Pape rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly recommended.
Chris Porter
Jan 10, 2014 Chris Porter rated it it was amazing
Another great read in this series
Julia
Jun 14, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Just finished book 3 of the Prime Suspect series. I loved the tv show with Helen Mirren, and really enjoyed the books. Lots of gritty characters, complicated plots, and the interesting character, Jane Tennison. Love her or not, it makes for gripping reading!
Lauren Agnew
Mar 01, 2015 Lauren Agnew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good crime read. In bits it slows down but then suddenly takes off again that you feel you can't put it down. Lynda La Plante is always a very good author!
Karen wadey
Although I like Lynda la Plante's creation Tennison, the story was very predictable, even down to the sexism and attitude of the male officers, I remember the TV show of this book and had most of the characters in my mind so it was an easy read.
Catherine
Feb 15, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Part of a special omnibus edition with all three books in the series. While I enjoyed these, they are pretty gritty and depressing. Both the crimes themselves and the general treatment of women.
John Hanscom
Apr 11, 2012 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last in a three book series. This was not as good as the first two, as the ending was too ambiguous, but, still. fun to read.
John
Apr 11, 2009 John rated it really liked it
I don't usually read mysteries but I really enjoyed this Jane Tennyson story. She is such a tough yet flawed heroine.
Stonemags76
Jun 04, 2013 Stonemags76 rated it really liked it
Slow start, but built up well to classic Lynda La Plante story. Would like more in the series.
Shelley
Nov 26, 2013 Shelley rated it it was amazing
had seen the tv show, but never read the book... it's excellent. really very good.
Sarah is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Debbie Glover
Debbie Glover rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
  • Blood of My Blood
  • He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters, #8)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • Beyond Reach (DI Joe Faraday, #10)
  • Too Darn Hot
  • The Blood Books, Volume III (Omnibus: Blood Debt / short stories)
  • Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2)
  • Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories
  • No Good Deed
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...

Prime Suspect (3 books)
  • Prime Suspect (Prime Suspect, #1)
  • A Face in the Crowd (Prime Suspect, #2)