Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms

Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  53 reviews
When Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., first asked Nicolette Hahn Niman to head up his environmental organization's "hog campaign," she balked. Investigating hog manure pollution was hardly the glamorous assignment she pictured when leaving everything to work for him in New York. But Kennedy, she discovered, is not a man who takes no for an answer.

Thus began Niman's fascinating odys...more
Published February 17th 2009 by William Morrow

Pia
One of the best books I've read in years. this was a really well written book on industrial farming. She starts with the hog industry in NC, and how the closed containment farms are a disaster for the environment, the polluted rivers and estuaries are a result of the manure and urine of the hogs. And how superbugs/viruses have developed as a result of antibiotics that are added to the daily feed of the animals (pig, chicken) living in crowded, stressed, disease laden envirnoments. The antibx com...more
Bill Laine
"While I fully accept the appropriateness of humans raising animals for food, I do not accept that humans have a right to treat animals cruelly in the process, least of all for the purpose of higher profits"

That sentiment about sums up the philosophy of Nicolette Hahn Niman after a books worth of life-journey and immersion in the practices of producing food from animals.

Bobby Kennedy, Jr decides to set his Waterkeepers organization after the confinement pork industry because of the strain they...more
Maddie
If you are going to read a book about where food comes from, read this one.

This title was chosen for the 2012 Linn Area Reads program - which brings the community together through reading a single book. I started too late to participate in the book discussions but am excited about the various events in the next few months including meeting the author!

At first glance I thought this book would be similar to Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals: part memoir, part indictment of the industrial food...more
Zinta
For many years, I thought I had been doing the right thing, eating the right foods and watching out for my health. I thought I was an environmentalist, caring about the preservation and good stewardship of the natural world we live in.

Holy cow, was I wrong.

Some time ago, I was reading another good book about human behavior, and what is required for us to behave against our own values. Compartmentalization was a concept I came to understand is absolutely necessary for most of us to act in ways...more
g-na
Righteous Porkchop is very similar to The Face on Your Plate, which I just finished reading, but it is also an entirely different book. The similarity lies in that R.P. really does tell you the truth about food; you learn about the major types of animal foods--milk, eggs, beef, pork, chicken, and fish--as well as specifics about how the animals are housed, fed, drugged, and treated. It goes in-depth on subjects such as how "old-fashioned" traditional farms actually improve the soil in their envi...more
tiffany
this is a very informative book, i have read many books on factory farming so a lot of the information was not new to me, however, it was from a fresh perspective, a vegetarian (very much not a no-meat activist) learns the ropes and marries a cattle rancher..quite the twist. i will say it was very enlightening to the cattle/beef production versus all other. definitely some good facts there. also, i learned that 80% of all seafood and fish is imported and 90% of shrimp is, almost all from china w...more
Annie
This book is part memoir, part history and partly just informative. It belongs to the same family as the current popular food reformers in the Michael Pollan camp, but it's distinctly separate as well.

The story begins with Niman's first experiences with industrial hog farming as Robert Kennedy Jr.'s lead attorney for his environmental action group, Waterkeepers. Legal drama interspersed with tales of environmental degradation and human interest stories made the whole thing pretty compelling, al...more
Part documentary on modern farming, part memoir, Niman tells what she learned on her journey through battling pollution by industrial ag companies and her relationship with the sustainable farming advocate and cattle rancher she eventually married.

My frustration with her book is that I feel like she tries to make her argument through two distinct methods: her thorough research, which really got me to rethink things; and her claims of the moral superiority of traditional farming, which made me wa...more
Steve
A very interesting, fact-filled book.

The negatives: several typos (annoying), the middle drags on a bit, and it is a slight bit of "propaganda" for Niman Ranch.

The positives definitely outweigh the negatives, however, and I found myself very into the book, especially in the beginning and end.

I'd say my favorite section (where I learned the most) turned out to be the section on seafood and farmed fish; I learned a lot about eating it, and Niman's information debunked a lot of hearsay about seafoo...more
Myriah
This author has certainly researched her topic, and she takes you along for the ride. I think her topic is incredibly interesting, however the book's documentary feeling can be a little hard to get through some spots. You know how when you are watching a documentary and suddenly you get to listen to music as you watch images fly by that in reality took weeks, maybe months to happen? Well, I wish this book were like that instead of trudging through the mundane.

On page 87 we read, "A year after l...more
De
The more I learn about industrial farming the less I wonder why we're all sick, fat and tired. Honestly. And now to see that we're messing with the organic standards as well just makes me look at my local farmers who actually take pride in what they do. I'll be happily handing my cash over to them.

This book was definitely full of good information, if a little slow to read. Nicole's passion for research definitely shows but at times makes for slow going. A must read for all those concerned about...more
Sara
This was a great supplement to the Omnivore's Dilemma. While Michael Pollan spotlights the beef industry in industrial agriculture, Niman explains that the pork and chicken industries are arguably in worse in terms of pollution, treatment of animals and food safety. She also highlights the fish industry (aquaculture) and though brief, it was eye-opening. Her book is less pedantic than Pollan's. Niman is an environmental lawyer and focuses on how these industries break the law. The best part is t...more
Dana
I'm only on p.56, but already having anxiety about the sources of the meat, dairy, and eggs we eat. Not that I am a stranger to this discourse. I've read Michael Pollan and Peter Singer. And, honestly, I'm beginning to feel as if "eating ethically" might be something only the rich have the luxury to do. That is, unless you swear off meat, dairy and eggs entirely. But then again, could I give up cable TV and spend the $96 a month on the above-mentioned foods, yes.

All of that said, Nicolette Hahn...more
Marilyn
What should have been a blurb on Fox news became a book instead
Kate
It's pretty great, and I learned a lot (though much of the information was already in my brain because of Food, Inc. and Fast Food Nation). Righteous Porkchop falls short of my 5-star, Must-Read rating because I was a little irritated by how much the author was inserting herself into the story without a clear reason for doing so. I could overlook this if it was just a waste of a few pages, but Niman lost focus in some of the chapters because her personal details got in the way. This is especiall...more
Alexa
There is far too much about litigation (against big mean hog containment "farmers" which is important but has boring day-to-day details) and far too little about this porkchop mentioned in the title. If you like food books and you make it past the first third of the book, you'll probably like it, unless you really like the first third in which case you'll probably stop after the first third. I did appreciate that the author's big love story wasn't larger than life in the book and sat somewhere i...more
Karen
A memoir focused on the ethical treatment of animals in factory farms and the gross violations of the Clean Water Act by the pig, dairy and chicken industries. Hired by Bobbie Kennedy to head up the investigation into hog manure pollution for the Waterkeeper Alliance, the book follows her career which ultimately brings her to marry the founder of Niman ranch. This book gives more reasons to pay attention to where your food comes from and the impact factory farming has on our health and the healt...more
Haley
It is taking me ages to get through this book, but it's a good read. I find parts of her logic flawed, especially her views on the corn-fed meat industry. Kind of hard to take someone who is literally sleeping with the meat industry seriously. But, overall, a good read. My goal is to finish this book this weekend and move on with my life.

Update: She gets way too preachy at the end. And pulls in Christianity to show that Jesus ate morally/righteously, and therefore so should we.

Fail.
Mara Yetter
Everything you need to know but didn't want to about meat production, how she took on the pork industry in North Caroline and set precedents which allow communities to fight corporations who are breaking federal laws (Clean Air and Clean Water Acts), to raise meat. journal of a vegetarian's journey fresh out of law school, filing litigation against a major industrial menace,l through to her subsequent life married to humane husbandry, pastured meat mensch, Bill Niman of Niman Ranch.
Tina Cipolla
If you eat meat this is a really great expose on the factory farming model for meat production, especially pork. The one thing this book doesn't do is give enough meaningful suggestions for sourcing non-factory farmed meats. That would have been a nice addition--to sum up by saying exactly where you can find and buy non-factory farmed meats. If you are new to this topic--and I am not--this book is a good introduction to everything that is wrong with agribusiness.
Josh M
This book really opened my eyes to the world of ethical farming, and the atrocities that are comitted in order to bring mass produced food to our tables. Animals kept in awful conditions on these factory farms, and pollution is unchecked most times.

Its a sad, but realistic book that shows you what goes into the food, that goes into your mouth. Think twice about that McDonald's burger! I can honestly say that it helped me to become a more ethical consumer.
Amber
I enjoyed what the author had to say, but her general tone throughout the book struck me as somewhat self centered in that the "right" always seemed to conveniently fall around her personal choices and views. She happens to have married a beef rancher so therefore beef must be the most humane of meat choices etc. I didn't really expect this to be as much of a memoir and was hoping for more of an information/research based book. Still enlightening though.
Rebecca Duncan
I hate it when I have to dislike a book that I agree with in principle because of the way those principles are presented. The author is a lawyer, not a journalist, but still the spin is profound. I felt duped midway through to find out she's married to a cattle rancher, and that fact shoots holes in her credibility. While she does make some good points, this isn't a sustainable-food-lit book that I would recommend to anyone just getting into the subject.
Stephanie
Another interesting book about our food industry...particularly where our meat/dairy comes from. The author tells her story, first from a political view (she started doing legal legwork for Bobby Kennedy) and ends up marrying a cattle rancher. It is a book about the humane treatment of animals, how our food is processed, the additives to our foods, the quality of our water supplies, etc.
Another eye opener and an interesting book.
N.
Kudos to Hahn Niman for bringing the truth of modern meat production to our attention. It was an engaging story, not just a compilation of facts, and was compelling, yet thoroughly disgusting. It taught me so much about the harsh conditions animals are raised in, and offered alternatives for a more humane meat consumption. The research is unmatched; this is certainly a valuable read. It has certainly changed what we eat at our dinner table.
Jayme
The beginning of this book was a little difficult for me. I stopped eating chicken for a week...which I know was not the author's intent. There are better ways to farm and raise cattle, poultry, fish, etc. and if we all educate ourselves on where our food comes from maybe we can encourage the agricultural industry to practice these better ways. It will not be easy, but it will not be impossible like some believe. It just takes a commitment.
Dee
This is an excellent book reporting on the industrialization of food production in the USA. It primarily focuses on Pork, but also covers chicken, beef, fish. The author is an excellent writer - easy to read. She worked as an activist in this arena. The book also offers excellent resources and ideas on how to improve the safety of your food, the environment and how animals are treated in this country. I recommend it to everyone!
Hannah
I thought this was a great book. Nicolette Hahn Niman is a wonderful writer (which is refreshing given how many poorly-written books I seem to read), and although the concepts in this book are not new to anyone with an interest in where their food comes from, I thought her approach was very tasteful and her research speaks for itself. Plus, who doesn't love the story of a vegetarian who wound up raising cattle for meat?
Andrew Garrison
Excellent read. Along the lines of the Omnivore's Dilemma, but much more graphic and in-depth. She does a great job at exposing the animal, human, and ecological cost of the industrial agricultural complex. Hit close to home because of my brief stint working the line at the Hormel plant in Austin. Highly recommended to anyone who is concerned about eating ethically and the cost associated with our daily eating habits.
Becka
An intriguing read that educates readers about the risks of our industrialized food supply. Ms. Niman writes from the unique perspective of a vegetarian now living on a cattle ranch. The book is an auto-biography intertwined with expose, which makes for a quick read. It doesn't stop with the expose, but goes on to discuss where to find "good" food and just how small lifestyle changes can make a difference.
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • Compassionate Carnivore: Or, How to Keep Animals Happy, Save Old Macdonald's Farm, Reduce Your Hoofprint, and Still Eat Meat
  • Animal Factory: The Looming Threat of Industrial Pig, Dairy, and Poultry Farms to Humans and the Environment
  • Swindled: From Poison Sweets to Counterfeit Coffee—The Dark History of the Food Cheats
  • The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • Squeezed: What You Don't Know About Orange Juice
  • Food Politics
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Bet the Farm: How Food Stopped Being Food
  • The End of Food
  • Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do about It
  • The Revolution Will Not be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • Kitchen Literacy: How We Lost Knowledge of Where Food Comes from and Why We Need to Get It Back
  • Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
Righteous Porkchop Defending Beef: The Case for Sustainable Meat Production Reducing Environmental Cancer Risk: What We Can Do Now: 2008-2009 Annual Report President's Cancer Panel