Start by marking “How Droofus The Dragon Lost His Head” as Want to Read:
How Droofus The Dragon Lost His Head

How Droofus The Dragon Lost His Head

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  635 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Although he comes from a fierce family, Droofus is a good dragon undeserving of the price the king puts on his head.
48 pages
Published (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How Droofus The Dragon Lost His Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Droofus The Dragon Lost His Head

Lucy
How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head, by Bill Peet is an adorable heartwarming fantasy book that you just have to read! This book is amazing! I don't know how the author came up with all this! I wonder how it can be so sad, and so exciting all at the same time. The main characters are Droofus, the little boy and the little boy's father, and the king and knights. There are three problems: first, Droofus is lonely. Second, the little boy's family is poor. Third, the king wants Droofus's head on hi ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 11, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegan & vegetarian children; ages 3 or 4 through 8; animal lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
A big thank you to Goodreads friend Chandra for recommending this book to me! I can’t believe it’s been around for decades but I never knew about it.

It’s a very funny and sweet (but not overly sweet) story about a vegetarian (vegan actually) dragon.

I love how Droofus’s decision to eat grass and not animals ends up saving his own life, then helps him find a more fulfilling life. I also love how Droofus then helps the boy who helped him.

There’s some suspense throughout the story and there’s a ver
Rachel
Oh, I loved this! Wonderful text and illustrations. Droofus is such a sweetheart. I feel so bad for him and his battered wings! Awww. But he has such a good attitude. He gets kicked down, allows himself time to heal, gets up, brushes himself off, and goes about making himself useful. He cares about others and makes friends wherever he goes, but he's not a pushover either. DROOFUS IS AWESOME. He is my new hero!
Ronyell
“How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head” is another classic book from the creative mind of Bill Peet and is about a friendly dragon named Droofus who ends up being the friendliest dragon ever. “How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head” may be a bit tedious for some children who want action, but it is still an instant classic for many children to read.

Bill Peet’s story about a friendly dragon is a great tale for many children who love reading about dragons and mythical creatures. The scene in this book
Kathryn
What a delight! I so enjoyed meeting Droofus, a sweet and helpful (vegetarian!) dragon with a bounty on his head; in the end, he looses his head, but not in the way you might expect! This is a story of kindness, friendship and being true to yourself. I'll not go into details since my GoodReads friends Chandra and Lisa have already written such fabulous reviews. Thanks, Chandra, for bringing this to my attention! :-)
Noah Sebastian
Oct 13, 2009 Noah Sebastian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the kindergartners out there
Recommended to Noah by: influenced by our friends Tim, Leslie and Riley
Read. About a hundred times. I'm a Bill Peet groupie. Mom read it to me over and over and over again when I was four, now I carry it around and read it over and over again myself. Frankly anything by Bill Peet fits this description. Droofus is a nice role model for a kid who is surrounded by light saber wielding, fake gun toting friends. Recommended to moms who want to give a good kid level example of empathy to their kids. Kids who love adventure via animals / dragons.
Becky B
Droofus the dragon gets separated from his family at a young age, realizes he prefers to be a vegetarian, and goes flying to fight off boredom. The local king sees him during a flight and decides that that dragon's head needs to be on his wall. Though all the knights can't seem to find the dragon, a young shephard boy does when his lamb goes missing and is found sleeping next to the dragon. The boy decides not to turn the dragon in since he is a nice dragon. Days later, Droofus gets caught in a ...more
Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This was a sweet, but somewhat silly tale about a dragon who gets separated from the rest of his group and ends up a vegetarian who lives with a family of farmers. The story is enchanting and has plenty of excitement throughout. With the dreadful-sounding title, we waited anxiously to find out how the poor dragon lost his head. But, as expected, the story has a happy ending. The illustrations are terrific and our girls mentioned that Droofus looks very similar to a dragon named Stormfly from How ...more
Scott Pagel
Anyone who has ever felt misunderstood will sympathize with Droofus, a dragon who was separated from his family while flying in a bad storm. As he comes to grips with his new life, an act of kindness towards an innocent creature sets his life on a new path. Adults and children will love this touching tale that delivers a glimpse at what joy might fill the world if kindness and understanding become habits in our lives. Peet’s drawings enhance the story by capturing the emotions of the characters ...more
Renae
We just love Bill Peet's picture books! He has such fun illustrations and interesting twists at the end.
Robin
Weak story at the beginning but it improves greatly. Satisfying humorous ending.
Wendy
Love DRAGONS... CUTE story...fun pictures!
Emily
Bill Peet is, and has been for a long time, my favorite author of children's books. If mom gets one of his books at the library for Sharon, I still go and read them again.
His stories are simple but unique, and his illustrations are cute. This book is one of my favorite Bill Peet books, and is therefore definately one of my favorite children's books, right up there next to If You Give A Moose A Muffin, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, and very close to the Narnia books (which I consider a LITTLE bit
Susan
May 21, 2014 Susan marked it as library-books  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-read-aloud
library-books
Roseanne Wilkins
Bill Peet is another author I love. I have most of his books in my home. The reason I chose to add this to my Goodreads list is that it was the very first Bill Peet book I ever read. I was 7 at the time. Not all 7 year olds can read this book alone, but it has delightful illustrations and a fun story. I usually read Bill Peet to 5 - 9 year olds. It's too long to keep the attention of preschoolers, but I would recommend Bill Peet books to anyone building a home library.
Nicole Fellows
Great book! Great story! It was fun to read about all of the things that Droofus went through. Every time it seemed like the story was finished, something else happened! I think that kids would absolutely love it. It's got dragons, knights, and a happy ending. You couldn't ask for more in a children's book! I also loved the artwork and the expressions on Droofus' face throughout the story. You could really see his emotions which made the story that much better.
Mark Baker
This picture book follows a nice dragon as he gets separated from his family and eventually finds a great life for himself. It's a bit slow, at least for adults, but kids should still really enjoy it.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ben Eldridge
Jun 13, 2007 Ben Eldridge rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Simply the best.
Bill Peet.
Timeless stories and fantastic colour pencil drawings. How can you go wrong?
I love all his books but this is a really good one.
My first experience of reading aloud to a large group of children was made a lot easier because I chose this book.
They were especially transfixed and that's the true test of any kids book really, isn't it?
Samantha Lazar
CIP:Droofus the kindly dragon has a price on his head, but the small boy who befriends him refuses to sell him to the king. [close] Droofus the kindly dragon has a price on his head, but the small boy who befriends him refuses to sell him to the king.

This is a cute book. The dragon is very likeable and not scary at all.
Anne Nydam
All the fun of dragons and knights with none of the stress and violence usually associated with them, and a happy ending everyone should enjoy. I have a review of this book in a blog post here: Fantasy Picture Books of Note.
Matthew
This was a nice story, certainly better than a story with a violent end. It was mild and happy and everyone, including the king who I was expecting to be lousy with greed, was reasonable and wise enough not to kill the dragon who obviously meant them no harm. I really was satisfied with the ending.
Jenna
I love Bill Peet so much! Great book and even great author makes for a great children's book The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's not the most fluent book I've read of Peet's. It skips around a little bit, but other than that its everything you'd expect from Peet.
Adrienne
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bill Peet books. They are a little too long for our 2-year old but getting to be just right for our 4-year old. But the books are so creative and so much fun and they always teach something useful. DEFINITELY read these with your children.
Joyce
I read this book aloud to the girls many times--Peet is so good at having you empathize with the main character, who's usually an underdog of some sort, and manages to resolve the problem with a creative solution, not resorting to violence.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Vegetarian dragon that helps the poor. The story is cute, but I have to say I saw strains of PETA in it. That said for my loves dinosaurs because they eat things 4 year old this was a surprisingly engaging story.
Brian
One of my favorite kids books of all time - I think I have 3 copies of it! Bill Peet is one of my favorite children's authors; his illustrations really bring the stories to life.
Kasandra
Fantastic colored-pencil illustrations, a charming and clever story, and just enough danger and suspense to delight without being too scary. Very fun.
Tam
I thought this book might be too "wordy" for my 4-year-old, but I was wrong. He was just as interested in this story as my 8-year-old was.

Bonnie Pohlig
Wonderful! An obviously well written book, and lovely pictures too. I think little boys would particularly like this one.
  • The Mysterious Tadpole
  • The Knight and the Dragon
  • Me and My Dragon
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • The Amazing Bone
  • The King's Taster
  • Come Along, Daisy!
  • Little Gorilla
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Caboose Who Got Loose The Whingdingdilly