Start by marking “The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus, #9)

The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus #9)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  7,167 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
Published September 15th 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hanging Garden

Rob
Mar 12, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing
I never saw it coming, but somehow mystery became my genre of choice. I read very little horror or fantasy anymore and, as I’ve written elsewhere, I’ve only dabbled minimally in science-fiction. I’ve never read a western I liked – unless we’re going to count Cormac McCarthy as a writer of westerns, in which case, okay, I like him – and I suppose most of my reading fits into that very nebulous non-genre of literary fiction. You know: T.C. Boyle, Russell Banks, Dave Eggers, Nick Hornby, Chuck Pala ...more
Lori
Aug 07, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
Another excellent Ian Rankin novel that ranks high for me among the other books I've read in this genre. The character of John Rebus continues to appeal; his keen awareness of his shortcomings and failures and his unwavering loyalty to those he cares about and sense of duty to right, however possible, the wrongs of the world, make for continuously entertaining reading. This story focuses on gang wars and the collateral damage of such activity. It places Rebus in the interesting position of align ...more
Ammar
Aug 18, 2016 Ammar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this 9th book in The Rebus series, John Rebus is at his most humane. His daughter is a target of an accident. He is in the midst of a drug lord war.. who are killing a lot of innocents and targeting each others' properties. Rebus is balancing all those, and on the prowl to find and hunt a Nazi war criminal who is a professor in a university.

A shorter novel than its predecessor, but straight to the point in its noir-ness and crisp dark prose.

Rebus is becoming one of those characters that one
Ron
May 14, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-k, crime-fiction
#9 in Rankin's Rebus series. The main character has gotten more fleshed out, as well as his musical tastes (one-liners from mostly classic rock songs are sprinkled in). Several stories going on at once in this one; his daughter and estranged wife figure prominently in one; two gangsters, one newcomer and the charismatic but deadly Cafferty. The latter is in prison and his cat-and-mouse relationship with Rebus is nothing new to this series.

A man wanted by Nazi hunters, a Bosnian girl forced into
Mirjam
Jul 13, 2016 Mirjam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He looked at the city sometimes and saw a beauty his cynicism couldn't touch."

I really like this series. I can't tell the past storylines apart, but I always enjoy them while I'm reading. It's basically exactly like your favourite gritty tv crime series. Plus the fantastic bonus of it being set in Scotland. The whole disgruntled, washed-up policeman thing works so well with Esinburgh as its backdrop. The plot this time might be one of my favourites. It has organised crime, but also reflected on
Andrew
Aug 14, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
I love Rankin novels -- if no other reason the setting of Edinburgh and his attractive hero. But I thought this one was overly complicated. With Japanese and Russian gangsters, Nazi war criminals, trafficked prostitutes, pensioners ferrying drugs, hit and run accidents, and the usual family troubles, one wonders where Rankin was going with this one. I would have liked it better I think if he'd really built on one of these themes in more depths. For example, drawing together the Eastern European ...more
Peter Kobryn
Sep 13, 2015 Peter Kobryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
An enjoyable tradition is the annual reading of a Rebus novel while on holiday and the Hanging Garden fulfilled this role this year very well.

Rattled through in two days this was an engrossing complex story and possibly one of the best of the Rebus series that I have read to date.

A number of significant plot themes are developed, many of them sufficient for a novel of their own – the growing turf war between big Ger Cafferty and the new kid on the block, the War Crimes investigation that Rebus
James Smith
Apr 25, 2013 James Smith rated it really liked it
I'm reminded of why I love Rebus.

...A tough, uncompromising cop who doesn't always (ie never) plays things by the book butGoddammithegetsresults!! Maybe once he entered the force with illusions of a better world but by now his cynicism is ingrained. He doesn't care about pleasing his bosses, he doesn't care about playing nice, this loose cannon just cares about what's right, even if the line between good and bad is so fine, it's invisible. Unable to take a break from his work, his only respite
Shirley Schwartz
Aug 22, 2013 Shirley Schwartz rated it really liked it
Ian Rankin's writing ranks right up there with Colin Dexter and Reginald Hill in my opinion. I am a great fan of this genre of mystery and this is probably the best book that I've read so far that depicts gang rivalries and outright gang wars. Rebus finds himself drawn right into the middle of the biggest gang war that his city of Edinburgh has ever seen. This to me is Rankin's best novel so far in this series. I can only hope that the others that follow will maintain this high standard. I could ...more
Christina
May 13, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it
This was another good Rebus, although not as great as its immediate predecessor, "Black and Blue." Like Black and Blue, we got a lot of development for Rebus, who does really seem like, well, let's just say it would be exhausting to be him. One thing that distracted me towards the end, though, was (view spoiler)
Steve
May 01, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing
In this grim but excellent thriller, Rebus is plunged in to a mystery involving World War II sins, local turf wars, and Japanese gangsters. Rebus's soul-searching uncovers more self-awareness about his own life, as well.
Kevin Marsh
Great book. This is the fist Ian Rankin book that I have read and it will definitely not be the last. Great characters and a fantastic plot.
I love the dark humour that surrounds Rebus and I can't wait to get my hands on another of Mr Rankin's books.
Chuck Slack
Aug 26, 2013 Chuck Slack rated it it was amazing
Another strong book in the series. I enjoy how Mr. Rankin incorporates several storylines that seem to be exclusive but tie together in the end. The Hanging Garden certainly does this well. A great read again! I highly recommend this series.
Liza
Mar 30, 2009 Liza rated it it was ok
Not plausible. Japanese, Russian, Scottish gangsters with a possible WW2 war criminal in the background ...
Annoying and silly
Beau
Feb 27, 2009 Beau rated it really liked it
Good story line and character development. Rebus is great.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
It's okay. Probably really good if you like criminal underworld stories. Just not my "cup of tea"
David Highton
Dec 09, 2016 David Highton rated it it was amazing
enjoyed this a lot - one of the earlier Rebus books I seemed to have missed. His slightly tortured character seems particularly at stretch as he is on the wagon from the demon drink. a gang war plt combined with an old Nazi hunt
David Bowles
Dec 24, 2016 David Bowles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really good book. Rebus, scarred and fighting his inner demons is fighting battles on all fronts. Family and friends dragged into his fight against gangs and potential nazi killers.
Believable in a disturbing way. A well written and compelling read.

Ian Rankin, a master at his art!
Linda
Jan 01, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
Excellent series with many twists and turns. Inspector John Rebus gives up alcohol, deals with rival gang leaders and to top it off his daughter is hit by a car.
Laura Furness
Jan 03, 2017 Laura Furness rated it really liked it
Plot was good & players were more interesting. Also more depth for Rebus that I liked. More philosophical soul searching that raised some compelling questions.
Michael
Great story.
Raully
Oct 19, 2016 Raully rated it liked it
Shelves: paperbacks
The plot is far/fetched but the characterization keeps the pages turning.
Mark Harrison
Sep 23, 2016 Mark Harrison rated it it was amazing
So I am a big Rebus anyway but this was brilliant. His daughter is badly injured and Rebus is battling gang warfare and investigating Nazi atrocities at the same time. Great story throughout and nice to see Patience back on the scene. One thing about Rebus novels - they never disappoint.
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
by Ian Rankin, published in 1998.

This is the ninth Inspector Rebus novel and is not less fantastic than the last eight. In this volume we get to see more of Rebus’s family relationships, and it’s interesting to say the least.

Maybe this is a strange comparison, but I find Rebus akin to Captain Kirk in that their first loves are not other people, but a Starship in Kirk’s case or the cases in Rebus’.

There is a new player in Rebus’s town, and he is acting the bigshot. He is Tommy Telford, cool as a
Perfectprayerwarriorhotmail.Com
One of the Rankin book's that I had to put down for a bit, as his character drew me into a quandary as to suspecting an outcome that would make me sad and angry at the same time. Yet, I started another one of the other books and was able to complete it. Definitely this book is "without being literally gruesome, it gave me the chills".
J
Aug 23, 2016 J rated it liked it
Shelves: british-locale-s
Aman Mittal
Mar 04, 2015 Aman Mittal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Hanging Garden by Ian Rankin is the ninth novel in John Rebus series. I have never felt that I should read Rankin’s Rebus series in chronological order. I feel, by starting in the middle, going straight back to the first of books and then steadily moving forward, is what works for both John Rebus and me.

The novel opens on Guy Fawkes night as DI Rebus meets his daughter for a meal. As usual, Rebus is involved in the case of the alleged war criminal and lean about the crimes he may have commi
Anna
Sep 17, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Ρέμπους νο 9,
όπου τον βρίσκουμε πάλι με τη ζωή του άνω κάτω, την προσωπική του ζωή, σχεδόν ανύπαρκτη - ως ένα σημείο τουλάχιστον γιατί μετά παρα-ασχολείται με αυτή, αλλά δυστυχώς όχι για ευχάριστο λόγο - και πολέμιο του οργανωμένου εγκλήματος της Σκωτίας. Εννοείται ότι πάει γυρεύοντας να σκοτωθεί, δεν διστάζει να συστηθεί σε αυτούς που κυνηγάει, όπου μάλιστα τους ενημερώνει ότι θα τους κλείσει μέσα!!!

Τα αστυνομικά βιβλία όμως δίνουν και ένα στίγμα της κοινωνίας, ξεσκεπάζοντάς την από την ωραιοφά
Sally
Oct 19, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Rebus is a man intensely aware of his own shortcomings. This book reveals a little more of the detail of his marriage and why it failed. The mystery is that it lasted as long as it did! He has his own moral compass, which is more to do with making the world a safer place than the rule book, to which his superiors would like him to adhere. He doesn't get suspended in this instalment, but it's close! There are a number of interlinking threads but it doesn't become a maelstrom of chaos. He com ...more
  • Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2)
  • Bones and Silence (Dalziel & Pascoe, #11)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Vendetta (Aurelio Zen, #2)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
AKA Jack Harvey.

Born in the Kingdom of Fife in 1960, Ian Rankin graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1982 and then spent three years writing novels when he was supposed to be working towards a PhD in Scottish Literature. His first Rebus novel was published in 1987; the Rebus books are now translated into 22 languages and are bestsellers on several continents.

Ian Rankin has been elected a
More about Ian Rankin...

Inspector Rebus (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)
  • Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2)
  • Tooth and Nail (Inspector Rebus, #3)
  • Strip Jack (Inspector Rebus, #4)
  • The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)
  • Mortal Causes (Inspector Rebus, #6)
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
  • Black and Blue (Inspector Rebus, #8)
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)
  • Set in Darkness (Inspector Rebus, #11)

“Strip the veneer, and the world had moved only a couple of steps from the cave.” 0 likes
“boffins” 0 likes