Start by marking “Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick: 28 Women Writers on Life, Sex, and Survival” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The title of this anthology riffs on Teddy Roosevelt's phallocentric motto: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." Few American women today are interested in cultivating a Teddy-esque machismo--but in Roar Softly... contemporary women writers recount their own mano a mano encounters with lingering sexism, Superwoman schedules, marital mess-ups, and a passel of other anti-f ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick

Suzanne
Aug 11, 2013 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young women, women particularly
Much better than the title gives away... I would actually give this book a 3 1/2 star rating not the 3 I have rated if possible. Some of the essays I think are more worthy of 4 stars.

I was a little put off by the cover / title of this book but ended up buying it. The short essays are are non-fiction of the writers own personal subjects. I'm pleased I did purchase it as I really enjoyed some of the essays immensely, they were food for the soul. Some of the essays were insightful and on very raw s
bookczuk
Feb 21, 2009 bookczuk rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to bookczuk by: kayote
Shelves: bookcrossing
This book turned up in a box of books from kayote. It was especially nice since I am home with some sort of bug. This made it kind of nice and cozy to look through a box of books.

An interesting collection, though I couldn't relate to a number of the essays.I found myself making my own list of middle age marvels after reading Mary Roach's list. (I made one when I was pregnant with guyczuk, all those years ago -- things about pregnancy that no one ever tells you. All I can remember is that you no
Kelley
Anthology of stories about women’s lives—I actually got this book for Courtney as a bridesmaid gift. I couldn’t help but read it cover to cover though! Some of the stories were really empowering like a woman facing cancer or single motherhood. Others were really heart-wrenching like the woman who became addicted to heroin. Overall good but quick read.
Aimee
This review from PW sums up my thoughts about this collection of essays from women on various topics that in one way or another, we can all find ourselves in: "Both reflective and unflinching, these accounts will resonate with women from all walks of life.--PW"
Carriebee
Biographical essays by 28 women writers. Some were good, some weren't as good -- but what's not to love? If you enjoy short stories and you like women writing about their lives, then this is a quick read you might enjoy.
Ella
Well done! a warm inviting glance into the lives of each author.. each essay some you read and want to look away but when you finish you find what binds us each and every female.. our hearts our souls as women.
Marguerite
I liked the essays, but there wasn't a lot of diversity among the writers. All in all, I'd rather read more of Lamott.
Joann Freda
Good, honest essays by women. Some are funny and sad at the same time. Some are heart-wrenching.
blah book. poorly written stories.
Emily
Tammy
Tammy added it
Sep 01, 2014
Crystal Cunningham
Crystal Cunningham marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Theresa B.
Theresa B. marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Elizabeth Ruth
Elizabeth Ruth marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 27, 2013
Serena
Serena added it
Jun 09, 2013
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Wild Women: Crusaders, Curmudgeons, and Completely Corsetless Ladies in the Otherwise Virtuous Victorian Era Wild Words from Wild Women: An Unbridled Collection of Candid Observations and Extremely Opinionated Bon Mots Wild Women in the White House The Essential Handbook of Victorian Entertaining Feisty First Ladies and Other Unforgettable White House Women