Start by marking “Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick: 28 Women Writers on Life, Sex, and Survival” as Want to Read:

The title of this anthology riffs on Teddy Roosevelt's phallocentric motto: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." Few American women today are interested in cultivating a Teddy-esque machismo--but in Roar Softly... contemporary women writers recount their own mano a mano encounters with lingering sexism, Superwoman schedules, marital mess-ups, and a passel of other anti-f ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick

Kelley
Jul 07, 2011 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-2011
Anthology of stories about women’s lives—I actually got this book for Courtney as a bridesmaid gift. I couldn’t help but read it cover to cover though! Some of the stories were really empowering like a woman facing cancer or single motherhood. Others were really heart-wrenching like the woman who became addicted to heroin. Overall good but quick read.
Aimee
Nov 08, 2007 Aimee rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This review from PW sums up my thoughts about this collection of essays from women on various topics that in one way or another, we can all find ourselves in: "Both reflective and unflinching, these accounts will resonate with women from all walks of life.--PW"
Ella
Jun 23, 2013 Ella rated it it was amazing
Well done! a warm inviting glance into the lives of each author.. each essay some you read and want to look away but when you finish you find what binds us each and every female.. our hearts our souls as women.
Christa
Dec 01, 2015 Christa rated it it was amazing
A great mixture of short stories from all different types of women - some sad, some funny, but all interesting.
Joann Freda
Feb 28, 2009 Joann Freda rated it it was amazing
Good, honest essays by women. Some are funny and sad at the same time. Some are heart-wrenching.
Suzanne
Aug 11, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young women, women particularly
Much better than the title gives away... I would actually give this book a 3 1/2 star rating not the 3 I have rated if possible. Some of the essays I think are more worthy of 4 stars.

I was a little put off by the cover / title of this book but ended up buying it. The short essays are are non-fiction of the writers own personal subjects. I'm pleased I did purchase it as I really enjoyed some of the essays immensely, they were food for the soul. Some of the essays were insightful and on very raw s
bookczuk
Feb 21, 2009 bookczuk rated it liked it
Recommended to bookczuk by: kayote
Shelves: bookcrossing
This book turned up in a box of books from kayote. It was especially nice since I am home with some sort of bug. This made it kind of nice and cozy to look through a box of books.

An interesting collection, though I couldn't relate to a number of the essays.I found myself making my own list of middle age marvels after reading Mary Roach's list. (I made one when I was pregnant with guyczuk, all those years ago -- things about pregnancy that no one ever tells you. All I can remember is that you no
Carriebee
Jan 03, 2010 Carriebee rated it liked it
Biographical essays by 28 women writers. Some were good, some weren't as good -- but what's not to love? If you enjoy short stories and you like women writing about their lives, then this is a quick read you might enjoy.
Marguerite
I liked the essays, but there wasn't a lot of diversity among the writers. All in all, I'd rather read more of Lamott.
Sep 09, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
blah book. poorly written stories.
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Tristy at New World Library
Tristy at New World Library rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
goodsellheller
goodsellheller marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Vicki Hill
Vicki Hill rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Rohinibommaraju
Rohinibommaraju marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Kristen Battle
Kristen Battle marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Crystalprn
Crystalprn rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2015
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2015
Bookish♥Sarah
Bookish♥Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ashley Allard
Ashley Allard rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jun 14, 2015
Stephanie Tisdale
Stephanie Tisdale rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Sep 13, 2014
Tammy
Tammy added it
Sep 01, 2014
Crystal Cunningham
Crystal Cunningham marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Sherry Melancon
Sherry Melancon rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014