Start by marking “Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)” as Want to Read:
Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)

Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,888 ratings  ·  34 reviews
One man in the Universe holds the key to the mystery of Flinx’s past–and that man is trying to kill him!

It is a strange childhood for a kid, to be adopted by the restless Mother Mastiff and raised in the bustling marketplace of Drallar. Flinx never knew the mom and dad who abandoned him years ago. In fact, his birth has always been shrouded in mystery. But Flinx eventually
Published October 26th 2004 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Orphan Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orphan Star

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul CudeEldest by Christopher Paolini
Dragons/Serpents
72nd out of 321 books — 166 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Taking by Kimberly DertingA Beautiful Friendship by David WeberDragons and Cicadas by L'Poni BaldwinAliens Invade Anna Tower by Tiago Higgens
Aliens/Others
76th out of 115 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert
This is my favorite of all of Foster's Flinx books. In my opinion, it adds the most of the overal story of Flinx, while being a great chase story. Foster is great at depicting future worlds, and this novels provides glimpses of many keys worlds in the Commonwealth.

If you are coming to Foster's Commonwealth/Flinx novels for the first time, I recommend reading The Tar-Aiym Krang, Orphan Star, and The End of the Matter first. While For Love of Mother-Not is chronically earlier, Foster's view of th
Kayleigh
If I had known this was the second in the series before picking it up, I would have held off until I had had a chance to read the first. But since there was no indication otherwise on the cover (or anywhere else on the book), I assumed Orphan Star marked the beginning of the series. This led to some confusion, since half of this book consists of references to the events of the previous book.
The story has promise, so I may track down the first book, reread this one, and change my rating, but ther
Aelvana
After a disastrous kidnapping attempt leaves him with an enticing tidbit of information, Flinx decides to leave Moth in search of his elusive heritage. The one man who does know, however, is convinced Flinx is after him for revenge, so getting close proves to be more of a chore than Flinx hoped it would be. But for the promise of answers, Flinx is willing to do almost anything...

Although it's got a stronger plot than The Tar-Aiym Krang, and a more cohesive one, a number of elements still fall fl
Andrew Staples
The plot, until our heroes reach Mysterious Interdicted Planet, is a string of unlikely coincidences. Flinx's troubles rarely seem to bother him much, thanks to timely intervention from Pip and his lethal venom. Several of Flinx's quests seem to serve no purpose other than to get him into cool locations.

For example, he pursues his enemy to the Thranx home world, Hivehom, only to bumble and let him escape. On Terra, Flinx concocts and elaborate plot to break into the supposedly highly restricted
Aside from giggling at 2000km cliffs, valleys thousands of kilometers deep, and a plateau 14 000km high that remain uncorrected in my 1977 copy of this novel, this was a neat read. I enjoyed this story and the sci-fi world that has been created. They made for lighthearted reading (for the most part). I quite like the different species present: the insectoid thranx, the reptilian AAnn, and the ursinoid aliens we encounter at the end of the book. It didn't end entirely satisfactory for me, but as ...more
Kevin
The second (or third depending on how you count them) in the Flinx and Pip series. I had read this one back in the late 70s but had little recollection of it. Compared to "The Tar-Aiym Krang" this is a much less exciting work for me, but is still a solid bit of space opera with a little detective tale thrown in. The mental image of an adolescent with a highly venomous, near symbiotic, snake-like creature coiled on his shoulder like some alien pirate's parrot, is so iconic I almost feel as though ...more
Meggie
The main storyline in this book was actually logical, every orphan child would wish to find his own roots and parents, which Flinx did too. The whole point of the main storyline as such was Flinx path on which he discovered something about his parents. There is secondary storyline through the story too, which was an interesting mix in the general picture.
I really liked natives of Ulru-Ujur, they were amazingly nice and good!
Amanda
Aug 01, 2014 Amanda marked it as abandoned
I just couldn't get into this series / world. It's not my style. I made it through the book that was written first (labeled here as Pip & Flinx #2 I believe) and ground my way through most of this one, but I just haven't found the magic here. I'll leave it for someone else to enjoy.
Bryan457
The first 3 or 4 books of this series were out when I was younger, and Flinx fired my imagination with his psionic talents, his flying, venom spitting snake, pip, and him being an orphan raised on the streets.

Pip & Flinx start looking for some clues to Flinx's past and parentage. His search leads to Ulru-Ujurr, a forbidden, illegal to visit, planet. This book is a bit slow in the middle, but it does advance Flinx's story quite a bit, and the Ulru-Ujurrians are a very neat race.

However, I wan
Robert
Inoffensive module of pip and flinx #3. Oversized pre-Ewoks save the day but must confront new ethical problems. Flinx gets into impossible must-die situations and Pip spits acid venom to save him repeatedly.
Brandt Anderson
Sep 27, 2014 Brandt Anderson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandt by: Dad
Shelves: sci-fi
I liked this book a lot better than the previous one. Still . . . the potential of the native species is very unnerving. Luckily they seem to mostly do the right thing and posses a natural empathy.
Ruan Peat
I had forgotten how Flinx got to some bits and places, and I do not remember this one at all, so glad to have found it and enjoyed it :-) the friends of flinx who make his whole world possible!
John
Nov 22, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1983 grade B
2003 grade B+

Series book F3

Flinx is age 17
Richard 2060 Penn
Teeny bit sugary for my taste, but a good read.
Dan
Only 4 star again because the book seems unfinished like the last one. I also am confused about one thing, in previous books we have learned that the Thranx and water do not mix as they sink and don't float yet in this book in one part on terra some of them are body surfing and apparently float well enough to do so while a human is "riding" them?

How did that happen?
Andy
This is the Third Pip & Flinx book (plus two short stories) and sixth Humanx Commonwealth book that I have read. The introduction of the new race of ursine creatures within this book is my current favorite. I can't wait to see them turn up again in future commonwealth books. Great story, but that is what I have come to expect from this author.
Leon
This sucked. This book is why people dislike sci-fi. I finished it only because I was curious about where the plot might be leading--sadly, it led only to idiocy. Do not read this.

It's a shame, because Alan Dean Foster has written things I liked. Sadly, he's written even more stuff I dislike.
Barry
Oct 07, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably not
I don't recommend a lot of books because so many are parts of series. I did like this one a little more than the first book in the series, The Tar Aym Krang. It is not something I would be likely to read now, but when I read it, I liked it.
Stephan
Allan Dean Foster is one of my favourite authors. His narrative style appeals to me and the Pip and Flinx series are all quite readable. I have this novel in paperback and e-Book. This was probably my fourth time re-reading it.

KC
muddled characterization, tin language, and a plot that mixes mystery, action-adventure, and First Contact, with ray guns and talking alien bugs thrown in for good measure. in other words, a competent space opera buffa.
Larry
Young vagabond trader Philip Lynx aka Flinx and his ferocious mini dragon Pip searches for his parents, sets out to find out just who he is.
A good ramble through space with some neat characters. Fun.
Kalef
Dire che la traduzione è pessima è fare un coplimento. Basti dire che Mudge essedo una lontrA che finisce per A, da maschio sempre arrapato e donnaiolo è stato trasformato in femmina....
Jonathan
Space adventure with ftl and partial telepathy and a cute pet killing machine reptile
Peter
I have always felt that none of the later books were quite as good as the first
Bruce
Still early enough in the series to be worth the read.
Abby
May 27, 2010 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Another "Pip and Flinx" series book. Very good read.
Tom
Classic nothing left to say...
Jim
This is a really fun series so far.
Dale Rosso
Excellent addition to the Flynx series.
Goodreads Librari...: Orphan Star 3 10 Jan 18, 2015 02:56PM
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Retief! (Retief)
  • Conqueror (Raj Whitehall, #3-5)
  • The Warlock Is Missing (Warlock, #6)
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • The Forlorn
  • Orion Among the Stars (Orion, # 5)
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • Dragon and Slave (Dragonback, #3)
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • Explorer (Foreigner, #6)
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Heris Serrano
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • For Love of Mother-Not
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx, #2)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Flinx in Flux
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx, #7)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) Aliens