Start by marking “End of the Drive” as Want to Read:
End of the Drive

End of the Drive (The Sacketts #6.5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  777 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Recently discovered by the L'Amour family, this treasure trove of stories is one of the most talked-about publishing phenomenons of the year. Here are eight richly rendered tales of men and women who faced the challenges, dangers, and trials of Westward settlement with courage, strength, and even humor. Online promo. HC: Bantam. (Fiction--Western)
Hardcover, Large Print, 311 pages
Published December 31st 1997 by Wheeler Publishing (first published May 5th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about End of the Drive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of the Drive

Karen
Jun 18, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I actually only read the one short story out of this compilation, the one that was about the Sacketts, called The Courting of Griselda. I have to be thorough in my reading of the saga.
Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Churchill's Fantasies of the Master Race). The back of almost every L'amour novel lauds his knowledge of "how it really was" and the fact that he could've been one of the tough, honorable, lonely fighting men
Angie Lisle
Oct 13, 2015 Angie Lisle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a lover of short story collections though, to be fair, this is a collection of seven short stories and one novella. My biggest complaint is printing typos; a good editor should've caught them.

L'Amour gets a lot of beef for using stereotypical ethnic tropes, particularly in regards to Native Americans, but I know there's a big difference between a Hollywood Indian and a real Native American and I expect other readers, with exception to the very young, to also know the difference.

L'Amour pla
Aaron Toponce
So I wanted to read the Sackett series, and this book is supposedly book "6.5". I wasn't sure what that meant, until I cracked open the cover to End of the Drive. This book is a collection of short stories and one novella. The novella about Texas Dowd and Finn Mahone is probably the only very good story in the book. Unfortunately, the Sacket short story was good, but not great, and only a few pages in length. The final short story, The Skull and the Arrow is just weird.

IMO, this wasn't a great b
Violet
Mar 29, 2016 Violet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
I ususally don't pick up a book of short stories; I prefer a novel. However, our small town library is woefully short on "westerns" and I have read all of the Louis L'Amour books except for this one. It was not a disappointment tho. In fact one of the stories is rather lengthy. They are all good reading.
Maryann
May 03, 2015 Maryann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Western Novel for my reading list. I've read one or two before, but never works by Louis L'Amour. I figured if I was going to choose a western, he would be the author to read. It was OK, but not exactly my cup of tea - too predictable and stereotypical.
Cora
Jun 17, 2009 Cora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good look at L'Amour's development of material. He was a storyteller and did not revise texts the way many author's do, but there are several short stories in this collection that later served as the foundation for novels. The novels were published during the author's life time, but the short stories were left in a box of materials that were published by L'Amour's children after his death. The changes were both subtle and severe in the shift from short story to novel. The author did no ...more
Ron
Nov 01, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these short stories were good, but "RUSTLER ROUNDUP" was one of his best that he has written. A 5 star!
Brian Pyper
Jan 03, 2015 Brian Pyper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always excellent, short short collection, the germs of some of the stories later turned into full novels. Loved it.
Sue
Nov 14, 2013 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aarf-yuck-ugh
Coulda had an introduction page to indicate that this was a group of different stories. The "author" should not assume readers will know that.

Kinda weak to just jump into the stories like that, with no introduction, no prologue, nothing. But, oh, yes, he didn't forget to include a page with "hundreds" of his previous titles--like I'm gonna jump right on those.

And the pseudo-cowboy lingo was a complete turnoff; just a feeble attempt to propagate massive ignorance. People have a hard-enough time
Lynne
Jul 26, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's L'Amour short stories & a novella - what's not to like?
Lynda
Oct 07, 2012 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I began reading Louis L'Amour's Sackett Series when I found myself visiting used paperback book stores with my husband. There were so many L'Amour books. When I asked around, many said to start with this series. The series caught follows their journey to the New World and across the country. The main characters always have a code they live by. Most of the stories have a women who shows up and causes the men to adjust their well made plans. Great stories of honor, courage, and commitment. No wond ...more
Lisa
Oct 09, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book of short stories and a novella by L'Amour. Reading the short stories I felt the family of Louis L'Amour was simply trying to cash in on his name after his death. The short stories were incomplete, no real solid conclusion to them, and left me with an unsatisfied feeling after reading them, IMO. The novella was much more beefed up, plotted out better, with a much deeper plotline and just a more interesting read.
Stephanie Ricker
End of the Drive is another of L'Amour's posthumously published short story collections. This one features quite a few shorts, written in the early days, that L’Amour later turned into novels. Seeing how his writing developed (and how much better he became over time) is interesting, and the stories are still enjoyable even if several aren’t terribly well-written. Nice little brain break.
Heather
Sep 27, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Eight different stories rolled into this one book. Some are funny, some sad but all are interesting and exciting. I thought this was a great idea. These short little stories are perfect and don't drag on when a single cowboy start outs on a trail to keep from the dreary details.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, historical

My Rating System:
Veronica
Feb 19, 2013 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't afford a vacation? Then get this book - it is an escape into a different time... shows determination, hard work, and overcoming difficult circumstances. Good guys eventually win, women are respected, and the bad guys are found to be bad.
Crystal
Feb 27, 2015 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of some of his short stories. If I have a "favorite" author it's Louie L'Amour. I kept thinking as I read these that he is the Remington of American frontier stories. What a fantastic storyteller!!
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 17, 2012 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories and a novella published after the author's death. Most of the stories served as the basis for novels by the author althought in somecases were slightly different from the finished product.
Michelle
Apr 26, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed any book by Lois L'Amour. I especially like to read his books to break up a stretch of mystery or romance, etc. He really takes you back to a different place in time. Never a disappointment.
James M.
Wonderful book of short stories and one novella by L'Amour.

The novella, "Rustler Roundup", is a page turner....Kept me up until 2 a.m. today...
Charles
Dec 23, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Another collection of L'Amour's western stories. Several of these were the genesis for what later became novels so they're well worth reading.
Larry Holshu
May 09, 2012 Larry Holshu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
as usual a great book. he knows how to write a good western. this book has several good short stories. a must read for any western fan.
Alex
Sep 28, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really thought this book was good,because if you like westerns this is the best author.
Nicole
Jul 23, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Only read The Courting of Griselda, re: William Tell Sackett.
John
Feb 10, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, mexico
9 stories, 7 ok but two were very good ,
Keith Bell
Typical Louis L'Amour... good.
Gail Morris
Jul 22, 2015 Gail Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
good assortment of westerns
Peter Charleston
Aug 22, 2014 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Nice short reading adventure.
Kim  Neve
Apr 05, 2009 Kim Neve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis L'Amour short stories.
  • The Last Trail
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Untamed
  • Strike of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #40)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand

“From Elisha Comes to Red Horse:

"I leave their politics and religion be. Folks can think the way they want, act the way they please, even to acting the fool. All I ask is they don't make too much noise and don't interfere with other people.”
1 likes
“From Caprock Rancher:

Another thing Pa taught me: If you're going to fight . . . fight. Talk about it after.”
0 likes