End of the Drive

End of the Drive (The Sacketts #6.5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Recently discovered by the L'Amour family, this treasure trove of stories is one of the most talked-about publishing phenomenons of the year. Here are eight richly rendered tales of men and women who faced the challenges, dangers, and trials of Westward settlement with courage, strength, and even humor. Online promo. HC: Bantam. (Fiction--Western)
Hardcover, Large Print, 311 pages
Published December 31st 1997 by Wheeler Publishing (first published May 5th 1997)

Karen
I actually only read the one short story out of this compilation, the one that was about the Sacketts, called The Courting of Griselda. I have to be thorough in my reading of the saga.
Ryan Mishap
My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Churchill's Fantasies of the Master Race). The back of almost every L'amour novel lauds his knowledge of "how it really was" and the fact that he could've been one of the tough, honorable, lonely fighting men...more
Cora
This is a good look at L'Amour's development of material. He was a storyteller and did not revise texts the way many author's do, but there are several short stories in this collection that later served as the foundation for novels. The novels were published during the author's life time, but the short stories were left in a box of materials that were published by L'Amour's children after his death. The changes were both subtle and severe in the shift from short story to novel. The author did no...more
Lisa
A book of short stories and a novella by L'Amour. Reading the short stories I felt the family of Louis L'Amour was simply trying to cash in on his name after his death. The short stories were incomplete, no real solid conclusion to them, and left me with an unsatisfied feeling after reading them, IMO. The novella was much more beefed up, plotted out better, with a much deeper plotline and just a more interesting read.
Sue
Coulda had an introduction page to indicate that this was a group of different stories. The "author" should not assume readers will know that.

Kinda weak to just jump into the stories like that, with no introduction, no prologue, nothing. But, oh, yes, he didn't forget to include a page with "hundreds" of his previous titles--like I'm gonna jump right on those.

And the pseudo-cowboy lingo was a complete turnoff; just a feeble attempt to propagate massive ignorance. People have a hard-enough time...more
Lynda
I began reading Louis L'Amour's Sackett Series when I found myself visiting used paperback book stores with my husband. There were so many L'Amour books. When I asked around, many said to start with this series. The series caught follows their journey to the New World and across the country. The main characters always have a code they live by. Most of the stories have a women who shows up and causes the men to adjust their well made plans. Great stories of honor, courage, and commitment. No wond...more
Stephanie Ricker
End of the Drive is another of L'Amour's posthumously published short story collections. This one features quite a few shorts, written in the early days, that L’Amour later turned into novels. Seeing how his writing developed (and how much better he became over time) is interesting, and the stories are still enjoyable even if several aren’t terribly well-written. Nice little brain break.
Heather
I loved this book. Eight different stories rolled into this one book. Some are funny, some sad but all are interesting and exciting. I thought this was a great idea. These short little stories are perfect and don't drag on when a single cowboy start outs on a trail to keep from the dreary details.
Veronica
Can't afford a vacation? Then get this book - it is an escape into a different time... shows determination, hard work, and overcoming difficult circumstances. Good guys eventually win, women are respected, and the bad guys are found to be bad.
Crystal
A collection of some of his short stories. If I have a "favorite" author it's Louie L'Amour. I kept thinking as I read these that he is the Remington of American frontier stories. What a fantastic storyteller!!
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of short stories and a novella published after the author's death. Most of the stories served as the basis for novels by the author althought in somecases were slightly different from the finished product.
Michelle
I've always enjoyed any book by Lois L'Amour. I especially like to read his books to break up a stretch of mystery or romance, etc. He really takes you back to a different place in time. Never a disappointment.
James M.
Wonderful book of short stories and one novella by L'Amour.

The novella, "Rustler Roundup", is a page turner....Kept me up until 2 a.m. today...
Charles
Another collection of L'Amour's western stories. Several of these were the genesis for what later became novels so they're well worth reading.
Larry Holshu
as usual a great book. he knows how to write a good western. this book has several good short stories. a must read for any western fan.
Alex
I really thought this book was good,because if you like westerns this is the best author.
Nicole
Only read The Courting of Griselda, re: William Tell Sackett.
Keith Bell
Typical Louis L'Amour... good.
Kim  Neve
Louis L'Amour short stories.
Troy
E
Cws
W L'Am
Edwin Voskamp
Edwin Voskamp marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Desert Gold
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Breakheart Pass
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • Forty Lashes Less One
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • The Joy of Fearing God
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods