Start by marking “The Changeling Prince” as Want to Read:
The Changeling Prince

The Changeling Prince (Spellbound #1)

Welland was less than a slave. Slaves are human, and he was wolf, allowed to assume human form only when it suited the sorceress Daria.

Daria kept an army of changelings mostly wolf but some lynx or weasel, a bear or two, and at least one rat. She used them to hunt and kill. And sometimes to pretend to be human, so she could pretend to be a lady.

Weiland hated the lie almos

Published February 1st 1998 by Harpercollins

To ask other readers questions about The Changeling Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Changeling Prince

Amy-chan
Sep 02, 2010 Amy-chan rated it it was amazing
This and The Conjurer Princess are two of my favorite books of all time.
Juli
Apr 15, 2015 Juli rated it really liked it
Miss Clark

I only really enjoyed about a third of the book. I like the two main characters, but I mostly only read this volume to find out the background of the characters for when they are met in The Conjurer Princess.
Liz
Jul 10, 2016 Liz rated it liked it
Weiland, a lonely, subdued teenager, has been serving the sorceress Daria in her isolated mountain household for as long as he can remember. There are very few solid facts he knows about his life: one, is that he’s probably around 16 years old. Another, is that he may have been born a wolf. But the thing he definitely knows for certain is that each and every day, his life, and those of his fellow servants, is constantly in mortal danger.

His mistress, the sorceress Daria, is a terrible human bein
H Lynnea
Nov 04, 2014 H Lynnea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of fairy tales
Shelves: read-unowned
Quick summary: An enjoyable fairy-tale style book about shapeshifters, a wicked sorceress, and following your conscience, aimed at young adults.

Long version:
I'm a bit of a kid at heart. I love fairy-tale style stories, where magic is a real force and the idea that one doesn't have to be strong, but more often brave and clever. I suppose I never outgrew them. As such, I really enjoyed this book. The plot is well-conceived, though as an adult, one of the twists at the end wasn't much of a surprise
Candice
Aug 19, 2013 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes dark fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Several people have referred to this as a fairy tale, and I just want to clarify: this is not your Disney-happily-ever-after fairy tale; it is a Brother's Grimm style fairy tale, with darkness and suffering. Weiland is a wolf in a human body who is essentially a slave to Daria, a mistress who is unpredictable and often cruel. Much of Weiland's time is spent just trying to dodge her moods (and the pain that accompanies them), and the best he hopes for out of life is that Daria will let him die as ...more
Julie
Overall, "The Changeling Prince" was a good book. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot and writing style. The only thing I didn't like, and the reason I gave it three stars, was the abrupt and rather anti-climactic ending. Most of the book detailed a complex problem (Weiland being forced to serve Daria - it sounds simple, but really is not). In comparison, the solution was easy and over incredibly quickly, which left me feeling a bit disappointed.
Rachel Boling
Mar 11, 2014 Rachel Boling rated it it was amazing
This book was much darker than those I usually enjoy, but the main character, Weiland, pulled me in and kept me reading. He is a servant to an evil sorceress, but wants to be free of her. It is actually a prequel to another book, Conjurer Princess, where Weiland is a supporting character.
Helenlyn
Apr 02, 2012 Helenlyn rated it really liked it
I believe this is one of the first of Vande Velde's books, and it's alright. There were some things that were predictable, and some rather large things that were unexpected but made sense. I feel like many of Vande Velde's later books are a little bit recipe-style, with a young lady who gets into trouble, meets a handsome young man, gets into more trouble, and gets out of it by wits and sheer dumb luck. This story is not at all like that; mainly because there is no real romance going on and the ...more
Jenny
Mar 20, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
VVV gets props for being the most unique writer. Her plots and ideas are so different. And yet, familiar. Writing was, as usual, fantastic.
graded an A
Fake Name
Jul 21, 2015 Fake Name rated it liked it
The ending was obvious, but not as early on as I would have expected (and the sort of twist at the end I didn't see but wasn't terribly surprised by either). It's always happy when the random paperback I grab because it was so conspicuously misshelved turns out to be good.
Danny
Jun 07, 2016 Danny rated it liked it
The ending seem pretty abrupt, but overall a good story.
Cdthomas
Apr 01, 2013 Cdthomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-13-24
Weiland is a wolf who was turned into a human by the sorceress Daria. Now he is her slave who must do her bidding. He is not alone. There is a small army of animal-humans beneath Daria's power. However, when Weiland meets a thief named Shile, he begins to think that he can save himself from his servitude.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a cute story that revolves around believing in yourself. Shile helps teach Weiland that he decides who he will become, not Daria. As Weiland begins to believe in his in
Gretchen
Sep 28, 2015 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Very good fantasy novel.
Mariette
Feb 05, 2009 Mariette rated it liked it
This book was a good afternoon read. The main character is likeable and his experiences are interesting. Not an extremely challenging book (possibly written for Young Adults) although there are some graphic sections. It was still a wonderful book with a very wicked sorceress. A book that can adequately quench a thirst for a little bit of fantasy.
Emma
Jan 14, 2016 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: reference-only
This story was about a man forced to change into a wolf by an immoral sorceress and his fight to regain control of his life. I enjoyed this book and I am glad I read it, but I won't be rereading it. It is a quick read that is sometimes a bit depressing though I admired the tenacity of the main character, Welland.
Brad
Apr 10, 2015 Brad rated it liked it
A fun, short read. The main character was a little bland and predictable, but having the whole story told through one person's perspective worked for this book. Overall it was enjoyable, just don't expect too much from it.
Ellen
Dec 28, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, queer-leads
quite good fun! a fairy tale-esque jaunt with evil queens and lovable rogues.
Johna K-w
May 26, 2011 Johna K-w rated it it was amazing
I really love Weiland and his moral ambiguity. It and Conjurer Princess (second bk, kinda) were fantastic.
May 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Overall I thought it was OK, but I was having a hard time relating to the main character.
Caine Dorr
Jun 23, 2011 Caine Dorr rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really loved this book, and I'm not really into fantasy all that much.
Nicohle Christopherson
Nicohle Christopherson marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Sarah Young
Sarah Young marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Jillian Kitchen
Jillian Kitchen marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Mike Heyd
Mike Heyd rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Isa Lavinia
Isa Lavinia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Amanda Woods
Amanda Woods marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Kayla Salmon
Kayla Salmon marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Buunny
Buunny marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Wings of a Falcon (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
  • The Gold Warrior (Gold Warrior #1)
  • The Tarot Cafe, #6
  • Wild Things (Prowlers, #4)
  • The Hidden Queen (Anghara Kir Hama, #1)
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
  • Cursed (Cursed #1)
  • BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1)
  • The Sea
  • The Shadow Gate
  • Silverhorse (Katriona,  #1-2)
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Hottie (Hottie, #1)
  • One Thousand and One Nights, Volume 02
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...

Spellbound (2 books)