Start by marking “Legacy: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing Personal History” as Want to Read:
Legacy: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing Personal History

Legacy: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing Personal History

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this practical guide to capturing those memories that have been stored away, Linda Spence provides the questions that are the keys to unlocking the memories that make up a life.

Beyond the vital statistics are the personal stories that tell what it was like, what we did, and why we did it, how we feel about our choices, and what our circumstances were. Through encouragi
Published November 1st 1997 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy

Richard Weijo
I will use my recently reviewed book The Legacy Guide by Carol Franco & Kent Lineback to compare and contrast with Legacy by Linda Spence. Both of these books use a life stage approach to capturing personal history. However, Legacy is more oriented to life events. It’s stages are:

Beginnings and Childhood
Middle Adult Years
Being a Grandparent
Later Adult Years
Reflections

These stages create some awkwardness for those who have not been married, or
Lisa
Purchased with the best of intentions - to capture family folklore. Timing was off and it's one of my biggest regrets. Don't put this off thinking there is always another day. Do it when you have the chance & update as you need.
Betsey
A great book to help you write your personal history because everyone's story is worth telling and sharing.
Wayne Groner
Spence does not use fancy words, out-of-touch theories, and dreary writing exercises in this how-to. She uses down-to-earth, practical, anyone-can-do it guidelines and examples. She debunks every myth you’ve ever heard about writing your life story and walks you through the storytelling process simply, clearly, efficiently, and effectively.

Fear of writing is swept away by her calm assurance that you are preparing a gift for your children, grandchildren, and friends. No need to concentrate on whe
Tom Romig
I'm in the process of writing a memoir for my grandchildren, at present, Sophy, Daniel, Adam, and Tommy. So, over the past year, in my usual desultory way, from time to time I've read a few pages of this excellent handbook, written some notes, put it aside, and then resumed the process. I'm ready now to complete my outline, flesh out my notes, write the story of my modest yet precious life. The impetus for this: the oldest of my grandchildren is only five, which means that if I died tonight he'd ...more
Barbara Lovejoy
This is another great book I am going to use as a resource when writing my personal history.
Stephanie
Sep 30, 2012 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Travelin Oma
Shelves: write-stuff
This is a great book for anyone looking for ideas to write their personal history. This book is less about reading it for guidance on structure, style's, motivation, and direction. This book is more about the IDEAS of WHAT to write. The questions are story stimulating and investigative. This is a resource for when you get stumped and need to know what to write next. This in conjunction with a book that discusses structure, layout, style etc is the perfect combination to get your personal History ...more
Hom Sack
This book is a good start in preparing to write one's autobiography. The 493 questions: Beginnings and childhood (73), Adolescence (41), Early adult years (29), Marriage (87), Being a parent (82), Middle adult years (32), Being a grandparent (18), Later adult years (55), Reflections (76), are all very thoughtful.
Softness
This book has been a great help while I work on my personal memoir. The sections are broken up into stages of life with thoughtful questions to help bring back the memories.
Jennifer Jodziewicz
If you have any interest in recording your own story, or someone else's - this is a great book to have as a guide.
Scott
Very practical guide of writing about personal history. Just contains questions to ask when writing.
Lisa Mings
Best book of it's kind that I have found
Megan
[September/October?]
Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
TM
TM added it
May 15, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
May 24, 2015
Brian Wiedeke
Brian Wiedeke marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Mary-Pat
Mary-Pat marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Liora
Liora marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Tiffany Nelson
Tiffany Nelson marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Ray Justice
Ray Justice marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015