Start by marking “Oh Kojo! How Could You!” as Want to Read:
Oh Kojo! How Could You!

Oh Kojo! How Could You!

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Retelling of a humorous Ashanti folktale relating how a young man named Kojo finally gets the better of the tricky Anansi.
Published March 30th 1988 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Oh Kojo! How Could You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Kojo! How Could You!

Carole
Apr 03, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
A woman wishes for a son and is granted her wish; the water spirit tells her that her son will give her problems and will be lazy and be tricked by Anansi but will be a blessing to her in the end. And he is.
Rebecca Quiroz
A great African take turned into story. Oh lojo his mom is definitely taken for the worse in this story. He is cursed!
Lori
May 27, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this book outloud to the kids I volunteer with. The story itself was ok, but the kids didn't seem that interested. Also, I feel like books that use words from another language should include a pronunciation key in the back, I was struggling with some of the words! (If I were able to look over the book in advance, I guess this wouldn't have been a problem. However, because of how the organization I volunteer with works, I'm never able to really look over the book before I get there on Frid ...more
Carol Royce Owen
Mar 02, 2012 Carol Royce Owen rated it liked it
An Ashanti tale that starts out like an African version of Jack in the Beanstalk with a lazy boy who is tricked out of his money by Ananse, but all ends well when one of his trades ends in the boy getting a golden magical ring which he uses to help his village and himself. Then when Ananse steals the ring back the cat and dog, received in earlier trades go to retrieve the ring, and then the message turns to why cats are treated better than dogs.
Mar 03, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Traditional literature, trickster tale, West Africa
The story has three sections: Ananse's tricks on Kojo, Kojo's attempt to outwit him to win the Golden ring, and cat and dog's journey to rescue the ring from a girl who tricks Kojo. This is not the first of the African tales I've read that starts one way and ends up resolving an entirely different conflict.
Marc Brown's pastel watercolors are fun and expressive, a clear highlight of the story.
Devin L.
Apr 27, 2010 Devin L. rated it really liked it
This book is an Ananse tale that tells why cats are treated better than dogs in Ashantiland. Good for readers in grades 3-5.
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 07, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Anna Fennell
Anna Fennell marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Rachel Cross
Rachel Cross marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jun 19, 2015
Craig Rader
Craig Rader rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Riké
Riké rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Krystal White
Krystal White marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Manson
Manson rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2014
Cindy Ball
Cindy Ball marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Abby Turner
Abby Turner rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Damali
Damali added it
Mar 31, 2014
Kojo
Kojo marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Al
Al added it
Aug 28, 2013
Ang
Ang rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Everly Reynolds
Everly Reynolds rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Ezekiel
Ezekiel rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Josianne Fitzgerald
Josianne Fitzgerald rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Bowmanwilker
Bowmanwilker marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Verna Norberg Aardema Vugteveen (6 June 1911 – 11 May 2000), best known by the name Verna Aardema, was an American author of children's books.

Born in New Era, Michigan she graduated from Michigan State University with a B.A. of Journalism in 1934. She worked as a grade school teacher from 1934 to 1973 and became a correspondent for the Muskegon Chronicle in 1951, which lasted until 1972, the year
More about Verna Aardema...