Start by marking “No Matter How Much You Promise to Cook or Pay the Rent You Blew It Cauze Bill Bailey Ain't Never Coming Home Again” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
An epic novel of jazz, race and the effects of war on an American family
This sweeping drama of intimately connected families --black, white, and Latino-- boldly conjures up the ever-shifting cultural mosaic that is America. At its heart is Vidamí a Farrell, half Puerto Rican, half Irish, who sets out in search of the father she has never known. Her journey takes her from
Published October 8th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2003)

Sara
Aug 23, 2007 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i hate hate hate hate hate this book. the writing itself is fine. i believe the author was a playwright and this was his first novel, and it's entertaining for sure. it's all exciting and something or other if you live on the lower east side now that gentrification has come and shat itself down. you can read all about how you wouldn't have survived for 13 seconds in your neighborhood just a short while ago. it is, however, too long. and too intro-to-___________ (black studies, critical race theo ...more
Tan3tM
Apr 11, 2015 Tan3tM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another loved one!! Read for an English course and couldn't put it down. It seriously consumed my every break, passing classes, while I sat and waited for classes to start, well you get the point. A worth read because of how the author captures and sucks you in......
Anna
Jul 26, 2009 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far I love this! I am completely sucked in, the women are very well written and rounded (I was surprised when I realize the author's a guy!) and everyone is so fascinating that when it jumps from character to character I don't even play favorites and wish for the next jump--I am totally engaged with all of them. Too bad I'm only about 150 pages in and it's already overdue to the library....

UPDATE: I don't know what happened to old Edgardo, but about halfway through he forgets how to write goo
jt
Oct 23, 2008 jt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this book for it's many references to the Lower East Side where I live, but it's an incredibly engrossing book even if you don't give a crap about the setting.
Divine-Asia
Oct 20, 2014 Divine-Asia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-rental
I do not recommend but if you do read, I hope you enjoy the first 150 pages because after that the story goes down hill, the writing becomes incoherent and the sentences run on longer (like this one) and the characters become caricatures of themselves.

To give you a snippet of how bad it got, here is a paragraph from page 456 of the hardcover edition.

That night she made love to Barry wildly, devouring his mouth with such ardor that, although he enjoyed himself, he wondered what had come over his
Frank
Feb 05, 2012 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-related
This has to be one of the most amazing books I have ever read! Sprawling in scope, yet it kept my interest throughout its entire 790 pages. The story of Vidamía, Billy Farrell and their life and family was actually quite simple and probably could have been told in a lot less pages, but it definitely would not have been the same experience.

I guess some would say the story rambled – it provided detailed histories of many of the lesser characters and seemed to jump all over the place at times. How
Susan
Feb 24, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jocelyn
This was really horrifying but I couldn't stop reading it.
Nikki Trahan
Interesting book. Although, I felt the author over-wrote. By midway thru, I found myself reading the book like a textbook: first sentence, last sentence, skip....get to the point! I also think that the subplots would have made this a better trilogy or series than a single tome. Language of some of the characters didn't see authentic...the Spanglish was captured well tho. Worth the read if only for the ending. Unfortunately, you have to sludge thru 500+ pages of literary loquacity that's inconsis ...more
Sharon
Oct 04, 2007 Sharon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers and lovers or jazz and/or NYC
Its 782 pages. Deal with it.

There is so much going on in this novel, it's hard to even think about where to start. Most of the book takes place on the LES and revolves around Vidamia, a real pistol of a teenager. Life is not easy for most of the characters--the narrative emotionally intense, romantic about old New York (and jazz) and makes you really miss the characters as soon as you're done reading it.

I <3'ed it--a good vacation book along the lines of THE BROTHERS K
Mary Beth
Dec 06, 2008 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
When I first picked up this book, I thought I'd never get through it, but the story and the characters grabbed me immediately. While sometimes Vidamia's conflicts felt a little like teen angst, the rest of the story, characters and setting are so engrossing and well written that it's overshadowed. I also enjoyed the references to music and the portrayal of the lifetime musicians who do it because they love it but never 'make it.'
James
Aug 25, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Man, this was beautiful, except during that bit toward when it painfully wasn't, and the fact that it was in significant part about individual identity in multicultural contexts didn't even irritate me. Plus, it made me listen to a whole bunch of classic jazz and like it. You know how a book can do that for you, like it's lending you a whole facility for aesthetic appreciation that you never had before? Yeah, like that.
Dee
Jul 12, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it really interesting for the first part - but had to stop by Goodreads to see if this long-winded style kept up through the rest of the book.
Honestly, I dont know yet if I like it or not, but its hard to put down :)

Liked the story of an Irish/Puerto Rican girl, very unsually written.
Connie
Feb 25, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: especially New Yorkers but it is truly a good book
Recommended to Connie by: Heard author at 92nd Y
I heard him read at the 92nd St Y and was moved to read this book that goes back 150 years to after the Vietnam War. Parts are not as well written as I would like but it is truly a memorable book set in NY, both Scarsdale and the lower east side. It will stay with you
Jen Chau
Great story that weaved together the histories of multiple generations. Lots of character development for multiple characters made for a complex and rich story that sucks you in. Loved it, though very heart-breaking and violent at moments.
Pete
May 17, 2013 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beautiful, painful, wise, sprawling, and gripping all at once -- a masterfully done sweeping tale hung not on its grandeur but on the vividness and humanity of the interconnected stories of the full characters he creates.
Jen Hitt
I picked up this book because it was the longest one I could find and I wasn't dissapointed. The descriptions of music are good. Caution, some of the violence is not for the faint of heart.
Rebecca Cohen
Jul 13, 2010 Rebecca Cohen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very well done book. the character development kept me interested for all 800 pages, even when terrible things happened. would highly recommend.
R
Sep 27, 2015 R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I read it years ago and had to rack my brain to come up with even a portion of the title so that I could do a search.
Jan 11, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
It is really good-- a lot of digressions and wandering prose, but fascinating. Good for people who like Jazz and experimental fiction.
Jenna
Nov 25, 2007 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrific tale of identity, family and American music. Also features one of the longest titles in American literature.
Chalida
May 05, 2008 Chalida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Vidamia is so unforgettable. Great family saga about multicultural America.
Porter Kelly
Aug 12, 2011 Porter Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason it took me FOREVER to read this book, but I really loved the characters.
Jenny
So far this is one of the best books I hadn't ever heard of
Jen
Jul 22, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Really long but interesting look at life in the US.
Joan
Feb 22, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an eighties West Side Story with jazz.
Rorie
Aug 26, 2008 Rorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just wonderful.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Dana Wilde
Dana Wilde marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Teaching Community: A Pedagogy of Hope
  • Circumference of Darkness
  • Bulletproof Diva
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • In Short: A Collection of Brief Creative Nonfiction
  • Dry Ice
  • Courageous Conversations about Race: A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools
  • Hope
  • Fox Girl
  • The Professor's Daughter: A Novel
  • Lord of the Barnyard: Killing the Fatted Calf and Arming the Aware in the Cornbelt
  • Mixed: My Life in Black and White