Start by marking “The Addison Street Anthology” as Want to Read:
The Addison Street Anthology

The Addison Street Anthology

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Poetry. As a way of preserving and celebrating Berkeley's wellspring of literary and artistic history, the City of Berkeley called on former U.S. Poet Laureate Robert Hass and award-winning artist David Goines to design a series of poetry panels that have been installed in the sidewalks of Berkeley's thriving downtown arts and theater district. Filled with history, poetry, ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Heyday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Addison Street Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Addison Street Anthology

Keleigh
Sep 03, 2007 Keleigh marked it as to-read
The last night I ever slept in Berkeley, after moving homeless up to Sacramento with all my stuff in my car to spend 10 days Vision-Questing on Mt. Shasta, I came across this poem on Addison Street:

Natural History

It takes a long time to make a meadow.
First you need glaciers
to gouge out a lake.
Then reeds grow, the marsh dries, the trees
drop their seedlings.

It takes a long time to have a feeling,
even the ones that happen quickly.

Such a deep gouging out.

So many dead trees to beget
a single live joy
Lyn
Apr 22, 2008 Lyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry fiends and lovers of San Francisco
One day last month, I was walking through downtown Berkeley, when I found a poem on the ground.
I'm from Orlando, where you don't find poems just lying on the sidewalk. Panting tourists, advertisements, strayed plastic mouse ears, newcomers' broken dreams and the metaphorical egg frying, yes, but never poems.
So I read it. Then I saw that there was another one next to it. So I read that. And I saw the long line of them, dozens carved into the sidewalk. I had found, without friend or guidebook, t
Robert Hass was born in San Francisco and lives in Berkeley, California, where he teaches at the University of California. He served as Poet Laureate of the United States from 1995 to 1997. A MacArthur Fellow and a two-time winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award, he has published poems, literary essays, and translations. He is married to the poet Brenda Hillman.
More about Robert Hass...
Time and Materials Praise The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa Human Wishes Sun Under Wood