Start by marking “Little Pea” as Want to Read:
Little Pea

Little Pea (Little Books)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  3,918 ratings  ·  351 reviews
If Little Pea doesn't eat all of his sweets, there will be no vegetables for dessert! What's a young pea to do? Children who have trouble swallowing their veggies will love the way this pea-size picture book serves up a playful story they can relate to.
Published February 17th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Pea

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
174th out of 1,472 books — 1,025 voters
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide LindqvistGuilty Pleasures by Laurell K. HamiltonThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThe Awakening by Kate ChopinLittle Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Best 'In My Pants' Books
4th out of 23 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of young children
Recommended to Relyn by: Family Fun magazine
I loved this book. Really, really loved it. What a perfect ending. And, such an accessible story. I plan to use it when I do my mini-lesson on ending your story. (I teach second grade.) Endings are so hard to get right and this will be an excellent example.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last school year Sloane stayed home sick with her Daddy. It was about January of 2010. Anyway, she got bored, but had to be still. So, she reread Little Pea and decided to write a book for me. She called it Tiny Corn
Kelly
Clever idea for a story...and well-executed! The text is concise, and the illustrations are adorable. However, we're going to try to avoid the eat-your-supper-and-get-dessert thing with our children because we believe that rule made us develop some not-so-healthy habits with dessert. So seeing as how that's the crux of this story, I don't foresee us purchasing this book or getting it from the library again. But that's just our own personal hang-up with it. It really is a great little story!
مـــــــروة
ماذا تتوقع أن تكون التحلية المفضلة لدى حبة البازلاء الصغيرة؟
ليست الحلوى بالتأكيد!

رابط المشاهدة
my link text
ـــــــــــــــــــــ

قراء القصة ينصحون بها للأطفال من سن ثلاث لست سنوات
Sarah Sammis
My son has excellent taste in books. Earlier this summer he picked out Little Pea by Amy Krause Rosenthal. This cute little book about a family of peas has already become a family favorite.

Little Pea, the title character, reminds me a lot of my son. Little Pea every night is forced to eat food he doesn't like (because it's good for him). His exasperated parents ask him to eat five pieces. Little Pea reluctantly does what they ask but pulls the most wonderful faces as he takes his bites. These sc
Lisa Vegan
Oct 02, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all young children and their adults
This is an adorable book and it’s great fun. I am not convinced that it will actually convert children who don’t like vegetables into vegetable lovers if that’s a goal. It is a cute story though and the illustrations are terrific. The candy sure looks pretty but not that extremely appealing (to me) as none of it is chocolate.

I loved vegetables even as a young child (except for eggplant, green onions, and radishes - I acquired a taste for those three in adulthood) but I would have enjoyed this bo
midnightfaerie
Huge favorite in our house. My 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds loved it. Besides being a wonderfully fun story about eating right, the reversal food idea, of a pea having to eat candy for dinner and hating it, really appeals to my children. They were tickled pink with the idea. And I absolutely, positively fell in love with Jen Corace's illustrations. I never knew a pea could have so many facial expressions and be just so darn cute. It made me break into my terribly awful French Peas Veggie Tales ac ...more
K
A really fun book to read with my toddler. She definitely appreciates all the noises that accompany the pea eating all the disgusting candy. However, I'm not sure if it's a book that we'll check out again. I know it's playing on the "finish your veggies if you want dessert" style of parenting that a lot of families have, but we don't have that in our home - and the later my daughter realizes that society values food differently (as in some foods are rewards and some are chores), the better.
Melissa
Little Pea is children’s book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Jen Corace. The Amazon page says it’s for ages 3 and up but I think babies of all ages could enjoy it. Gracie is 14 months old and it definitely kept her attention!

Little Pea is a book about a family of peas – Mama Pea, Papa Pea and Little Pea. Little Pea doesn’t like to eat his dinner but won’t get dessert unless he does.

We have the board book version and it’s very sturdy. We received this book in a Citrus Lane shipment (w
sylvie/emma
Little Pea loves his pea life. He loves things like playing with his friends, rolling down hills “super fast”, and getting flung from a spoon by his papa. However, there is one thing that Little Pea hates: dinnertime, because peas always have candy for dinner. Yuck. What Little Pea loves is desert: spinach. “My favorite!” he exclaims with glee.
Personally, I love Little Pea because of the tongue and cheek humor and the adorable illustrations. Picky eaters are turned topsy turvy, which always wins
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - Little pea is like any little kid - she doesn't want to eat her....candy.
Annotation Little pea is like any kid, except since she is a pea, she loves vegetables and hates candy. Her parents have to force her to eat her candy before she can have any vegetables.
Age appropriateness 3-6
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - interesting story and well told keeps children interested
Print Awareness - The simple font and minimal text helps children correlate text to
Jessica
I gave Little Pea to my niece two Christmases ago (she was almost three at the time), and it was an instant hit. She asked to read it over and over again. Such is the power of the pea. So it was a no-brainer to read this book for my green-themed storytime. It's about Little Pea, who enjoys playing with his parents, Mama Pea and Papa Pea, but dreads dinner time, when he has to eat five whole pieces of... CANDY! Oh goodness, the kids got a HUGE kick out of this book. The six-year-old boy kept sayi ...more
Alana
I brought this book home with one of my girls in mind who was once caught eating sugar in her closet. Little pea cannot have his dessert until he eats all the candy on his plate. A really cute book!
Travis Kesinger
I was relatively underwhelmed when I read this book. I think it is borderline too simplistic in many aspects. I would pick many others books to implement in curriculum before I would choose this. That being said it isn't anything super detrimental by any means. I would just use it to stock a library essentially.

Purpose:
Free read book for students to seek out during independent reading time.
This book would be good for students who are just beginning to read independently. It is illustrated and
Alison
I haven't made a habit of putting children's lit on my list, but dd got this book from the library, and it's a great read! Especially if you have picky eaters...so funny!
Stacy
This is one of the best children's books I have ever read and that is saying a lot! Plus it emphasizes eating your veggies!
Sally
Perfectly cute twist on "eat your vegetables," for the pea is required to eat his candy before he can have spinach for dessert.
Inspired Kathy
Little pea is forced to eat candy for dinner!
Lydia
Little pea goes through his daily routine, everything he enjoys about being with his family, until dinner time comes. Then he has to eat every piece of dinner before he can have dessert, but his family always has something he can't stand for dinner, candy!

Obviously aimed at the picky-eaters, kids will probably enjoy the twist about dinner, but don't know that it will actually help any of them be more reasonable in their eating habits. If nothing else, would be a good conversation starter.

No co

Kathryn
Cute and funny!
Maribeth Tomas
Picture Book Project

Category: TumbleBook choice #2

Source: Children's Choice Award (2006)

This will entice readers with its simplicity and fun vibe. It is about a little pea who cannot have his dessert until he has eaten his whole meal--the twist? Candy is his meal and spinach is his dessert! Clever! This story is geared towards early elementary students.

The artwork is very simple. There aren't very many colors used and the pictures don't take up the whole page. The pictures move as the story is b
David
Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Jen Corace is a cute and funny look at picky eaters. Little Pea can't have his dessert unless he eats his .... Sound familiar? Wait! He can't have his dessert (spinach?) unless he eats his ... candy? Very Clever!

The text is minimal with familiar words. Rosentahal's choice of words used as Little Pea eats his candy "Yuck. Bleck. Pleh." are perfect. The illustrations are the highlight for me. Utilizing lots of white space and masterful use of line
Nura
don't use your logic when reading a children book. hahaha... jadi ga bisa nikmatin. kayak di buku ini misalnya. yang terlintas di pikiran gw saat si little pea main "melenting dari sendok" sama papanya, siapa yang nangkep dia? trus kalo melentingnya jauh, kalo nabrak tembok gimana? kan bahaya. dan di dunia si little pea ini, makanan utamanya itu permen, dessertnya bayam. hmm... everyone would hate candies if they have to eat it everyday, i guess. or maybe not?
Esther
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is one of my favorite picture book authors because of the ways her stories turn expectations on their heads. In this story, Little Pea doesn't want to eat his food (candy) even though he knows his favorite dessert (spinach) is coming. Kids are sure to exclaim over this strange child who DOESN'T want to eat his candy. A great moment for parents to discuss food likes, dislikes, and approaches to eating.
Emilie
Sweet illustrations. Short book, abrupt ending (with a nice little pun).

A cute changeup for kids who don't like eating their vegetables. Not much extra substance, but might be useful for parents who are trying to ease vegetables into their children's mouths.

At the same time, however, I suspect the book may put too much emphasis on rewards (dessert, regardless of whether it's Little Pea's favorite, spinach, or a child's ice cream, etc) for eating "yucky" foods rather than developing an apprecia
Tracey
My first thought was, Really?, a pea eating candy, but then I read all the positive comments about kids loving it, wanting to hear it over and over and I could see how that would be appealing, even if it such a crazy idea! Love those crazy ideas. So I do think it is very good afterall.

Her book Spoon, is one of my absolute favorites though!
مازن
little pea :)

description

Check video here :
Ana Grubac
Nov 19, 2014 Ana Grubac rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: picky eaters, early elementary
A charming and funny book ideal for picky eaters. The little pea did not like eating...CANDY, which he has to eat for dinner every night in order to grow strong and healthy and in order to get a dessert. After suffering from having to eat five more pieces of candy, he is beyond himself when he finally gets dessert - SPINACH!
Kelsey
Little Pea has to eat all of his candy before he can have dessert. Peas eat candy to grow up big and strong, just like humans eat vegetables. After Little Pea eats all of his candy, he is delighted to have spinach for dessert. Children will appreciate the fun twist in this story. It could be used to encourage print motivation.
Heidi
That's a cute twist on a familiar aspect of childhood. I like the illustrations--I've never thought a pea was so cute before. And I liked the activities that filled Little Pea's day. I think this book would work as a storytime or a lap-read as long as the child can see the humor of a vegetable not wanting to eat its candy. Shouldn't be too hard.(Though I'm in the same boat with Little Pea--yuck to candy.)

Summer 2010: I think I read this at one of my School-age storytimes. Don't remember details,
hehehe pea. 1 9 Apr 06, 2011 08:40AM
  • LMNO Peas
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream?
  • The Odd Egg
  • Cupcake
  • Boy + Bot
  • Someday
  • The Quiet Book
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is. She divides her time.
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...

Little Books (3 books)
  • Little Hoot
  • Little Oink
Duck! Rabbit! Exclamation Mark Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Spoon Little Hoot

“If you want to grow up to be a big, strong pea, you have to eat your candy," Papa Pea would say.” 9 likes