Start by marking “Little Pea” as Want to Read:
Little Pea

Little Pea (Little Books)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  5,173 Ratings  ·  428 Reviews
If Little Pea doesn't eat all of his sweets, there will be no vegetables for dessert! What's a young pea to do? Children who have trouble swallowing their veggies will love the way this pea-size picture book serves up a playful story they can relate to.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 2/17/2005 Pages: 36 Reading Level: Age 3 and Up
Published February 17th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Relyn
May 28, 2015 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of young children
Recommended to Relyn by: Family Fun magazine
I loved this book. Really, really loved it. What a perfect ending. And, such an accessible story. I plan to use it when I do my mini-lesson on ending your story. (I teach second grade.) Endings are so hard to get right and this will be an excellent example.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last school year Sloane stayed home sick with her Daddy. It was about January of 2010. Anyway, she got bored, but had to be still. So, she reread Little Pea and decided to write a book for me. She called it Tiny Corn
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
Clever idea for a story...and well-executed! The text is concise, and the illustrations are adorable. However, we're going to try to avoid the eat-your-supper-and-get-dessert thing with our children because we believe that rule made us develop some not-so-healthy habits with dessert. So seeing as how that's the crux of this story, I don't foresee us purchasing this book or getting it from the library again. But that's just our own personal hang-up with it. It really is a great little story!
مـــــــروة

ـــــــــــــــــــــ

قراء القصة ينصحون بها للأطفال من سن ثلاث لست سنوات
Elaine
Sep 20, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it
The story doesn't have much depth, but it's adorable!
Sarah Sammis
Sep 11, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc
My son has excellent taste in books. Earlier this summer he picked out Little Pea by Amy Krause Rosenthal. This cute little book about a family of peas has already become a family favorite.

Little Pea, the title character, reminds me a lot of my son. Little Pea every night is forced to eat food he doesn't like (because it's good for him). His exasperated parents ask him to eat five pieces. Little Pea reluctantly does what they ask but pulls the most wonderful faces as he takes his bites. These sc
Lisa Vegan
Oct 02, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all young children and their adults
This is an adorable book and it’s great fun. I am not convinced that it will actually convert children who don’t like vegetables into vegetable lovers if that’s a goal. It is a cute story though and the illustrations are terrific. The candy sure looks pretty but not that extremely appealing (to me) as none of it is chocolate.

I loved vegetables even as a young child (except for eggplant, green onions, and radishes - I acquired a taste for those three in adulthood) but I would have enjoyed this bo
midnightfaerie
Sep 25, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Huge favorite in our house. My 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds loved it. Besides being a wonderfully fun story about eating right, the reversal food idea, of a pea having to eat candy for dinner and hating it, really appeals to my children. They were tickled pink with the idea. And I absolutely, positively fell in love with Jen Corace's illustrations. I never knew a pea could have so many facial expressions and be just so darn cute. It made me break into my terribly awful French Peas Veggie Tales ac ...more
K
Jun 04, 2009 K rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A really fun book to read with my toddler. She definitely appreciates all the noises that accompany the pea eating all the disgusting candy. However, I'm not sure if it's a book that we'll check out again. I know it's playing on the "finish your veggies if you want dessert" style of parenting that a lot of families have, but we don't have that in our home - and the later my daughter realizes that society values food differently (as in some foods are rewards and some are chores), the better.
Callistareine
Aug 09, 2016 Callistareine rated it it was amazing
Working at a bookstore then going home to a three month old sister, I read a lot of board books. This one is easily my favorite. It has everything a kids' book needs, a simple story, adorable illustrations, and a wonderful example of reverse psychology. It's fantastic, and Little Hoot is equally worth taking a moment to read.
Karen
Feb 01, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, mom
Ellie read to the dogs and then read again to me. Very funny book that our friends introduced us too. Great for kids and picky eaters or simply those who love candy!. Ellie said she would eat little pea's dinner for him so he could get his dessert :).krb 2/1/16
Alana
Aug 18, 2010 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I brought this book home with one of my girls in mind who was once caught eating sugar in her closet. Little pea cannot have his dessert until he eats all the candy on his plate. A really cute book!
Sally
Jun 18, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Perfectly cute twist on "eat your vegetables," for the pea is required to eat his candy before he can have spinach for dessert.
Jenn
Sep 09, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest book EVER! I love, love, love it! I think I've bought 4-5 copies and given them to various friends' kids. I still need to buy a copy for myself. I love Little Pea!
Alison
Apr 30, 2009 Alison rated it it was amazing
I haven't made a habit of putting children's lit on my list, but dd got this book from the library, and it's a great read! Especially if you have picky eaters...so funny!
Stacy
Mar 28, 2011 Stacy rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best children's books I have ever read and that is saying a lot! Plus it emphasizes eating your veggies!
Kathryn
Jan 02, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Cute and funny!
Norah
Jul 18, 2016 Norah rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my mom when I was little and I loved it! Cheers to Little Pea!
Luke
Dec 12, 2008 Luke rated it it was amazing
ug
Inspired Kathy
Feb 26, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Little pea is forced to eat candy for dinner!
Vicki
Nov 01, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I've used this book for years at library storytimes, it never gets old. A very clever story about a pea who doesn't want to eat his dinner - candy! A he wants is dessert - spinach!

The simplest of illustrations with a lot of white background add to this delightful book.
Miss Sarah
Dec 03, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: opposites, family, peas
a story about little pea and his family little pea eats candy instead of real food and real food for dessert. Silly but cute
Gayle
Cute story of a little pea who only likes vegetables to eat. Adorable illustrations.
Danny
Jan 18, 2017 Danny rated it really liked it
Fun and quick. There's a bedtime cuddling scene which makes it a nice bedtime book.
Kelly Grimes
May 08, 2015 Kelly Grimes rated it really liked it
1. Personal reaction-
I loved this book! This book has a very simple and direct plot and the illustrations are very straight to the point, but the story line kept me wanting to keep on reading more. What I loved about this book was that the pea was very different from most people. Most people are known to not enjoy certain vegetables and fruits, but what this pea did not enjoy was candy. The beginning of the book starts of by explaining all of the things the pea enjoyed. I loved this book because
Robin
Sep 23, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it
So because I'm reading "The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook," Goodreads thinks I would like this picture book which is funny especially because I like this book and I own a copy of it. After meeting Amy Krouse Rosenthal at BEA a few years ago, I've really, really enjoyed her books because they offer a nice, irreverent point of view compared to most children's books. I actually brought a copy of this book to my granddaughters this summer but I think they're too young to appreciate the irony.
Abigail
Sep 26, 2016 Abigail rated it it was amazing
This was a cute short story :)
Bethany
Sep 25, 2016 Bethany rated it liked it
Read for 5420 class

Picture storybook

Includes a cute theme on eating vegetables
Lorelei Westbrook
Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal 2005
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: TumbleBook http://www.tumblebooklibrary.com/Book...

Estimate of age level of interest: PreK-3

Estimate of reading level: Grade 1

Brief description: Little Pea loves to play but hates having candy for dinner every night.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book: Characteristics from http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2011/07/... The TumbleBook ver
Jess
Sep 21, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
September 2016 - Ben loves counting the candy and describing it, plus the way Little Pea is bounced off the spoon by Papa Pea (regular reenactments at the dinner table).
Maribeth Tomas
Sep 03, 2013 Maribeth Tomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Picture Book Project

Category: TumbleBook choice #2

Source: Children's Choice Award (2006)

This will entice readers with its simplicity and fun vibe. It is about a little pea who cannot have his dessert until he has eaten his whole meal--the twist? Candy is his meal and spinach is his dessert! Clever! This story is geared towards early elementary students.

The artwork is very simple. There aren't very many colors used and the pictures don't take up the whole page. The pictures move as the story is b
  • LMNO Peas

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is.
She divides her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a person who likes to make things.
Some things she likes to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something out
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...

Little Books (3 books)
  • Little Hoot
  • Little Oink

“If you want to grow up to be a big, strong pea, you have to eat your candy," Papa Pea would say.” 10 likes