Little Pea

Little Pea (Little Books)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  3,191 ratings  ·  321 reviews
If Little Pea doesn't eat all of his sweets, there will be no vegetables for dessert! What's a young pea to do? Children who have trouble swallowing their veggies will love the way this pea-size picture book serves up a playful story they can relate to.
Published February 17th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Pea

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
174th out of 1,174 books — 904 voters
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide LindqvistGuilty Pleasures by Laurell K. HamiltonThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomLittle Pea by Amy Krouse RosenthalThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best 'In My Pants' Books
4th out of 23 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

مـــــــروة
ماذا تتوقع أن تكون التحلية المفضلة لدى حبة البازلاء الصغيرة؟
ليست الحلوى بالتأكيد!

رابط المشاهدة
my link text
ـــــــــــــــــــــ

قراء القصة ينصحون بها للأطفال من سن ثلاث لست سنوات
Kelly
Clever idea for a story...and well-executed! The text is concise, and the illustrations are adorable. However, we're going to try to avoid the eat-your-supper-and-get-dessert thing with our children because we believe that rule made us develop some not-so-healthy habits with dessert. So seeing as how that's the crux of this story, I don't foresee us purchasing this book or getting it from the library again. But that's just our own personal hang-up with it. It really is a great little story!
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of young children
Recommended to Relyn by: Family Fun magazine
I loved this book. Really, really loved it. What a perfect ending. And, such an accessible story. I plan to use it when I do my mini-lesson on ending your story. (I teach second grade.) Endings are so hard to get right and this will be an excellent example.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last school year Sloane stayed home sick with her Daddy. It was about January of 2010. Anyway, she got bored, but had to be still. So, she reread Little Pea and decided to write a book for me. She called it Tiny Corn...more
Sarah Sammis
My son has excellent taste in books. Earlier this summer he picked out Little Pea by Amy Krause Rosenthal. This cute little book about a family of peas has already become a family favorite.

Little Pea, the title character, reminds me a lot of my son. Little Pea every night is forced to eat food he doesn't like (because it's good for him). His exasperated parents ask him to eat five pieces. Little Pea reluctantly does what they ask but pulls the most wonderful faces as he takes his bites. These sc...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 02, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all young children and their adults
This is an adorable book and it’s great fun. I am not convinced that it will actually convert children who don’t like vegetables into vegetable lovers if that’s a goal. It is a cute story though and the illustrations are terrific. The candy sure looks pretty but not that extremely appealing (to me) as none of it is chocolate.

I loved vegetables even as a young child (except for eggplant, green onions, and radishes - I acquired a taste for those three in adulthood) but I would have enjoyed this bo...more
midnightfaerie
Huge favorite in our house. My 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds loved it. Besides being a wonderfully fun story about eating right, the reversal food idea, of a pea having to eat candy for dinner and hating it, really appeals to my children. They were tickled pink with the idea. And I absolutely, positively fell in love with Jen Corace's illustrations. I never knew a pea could have so many facial expressions and be just so darn cute. It made me break into my terribly awful French Peas Veggie Tales ac...more
K
A really fun book to read with my toddler. She definitely appreciates all the noises that accompany the pea eating all the disgusting candy. However, I'm not sure if it's a book that we'll check out again. I know it's playing on the "finish your veggies if you want dessert" style of parenting that a lot of families have, but we don't have that in our home - and the later my daughter realizes that society values food differently (as in some foods are rewards and some are chores), the better.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - Little pea is like any little kid - she doesn't want to eat her....candy.
Annotation Little pea is like any kid, except since she is a pea, she loves vegetables and hates candy. Her parents have to force her to eat her candy before she can have any vegetables.
Age appropriateness 3-6
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - interesting story and well told keeps children interested
Print Awareness - The simple font and minimal text helps children correlate text to...more
Jessica
I gave Little Pea to my niece two Christmases ago (she was almost three at the time), and it was an instant hit. She asked to read it over and over again. Such is the power of the pea. So it was a no-brainer to read this book for my green-themed storytime. It's about Little Pea, who enjoys playing with his parents, Mama Pea and Papa Pea, but dreads dinner time, when he has to eat five whole pieces of... CANDY! Oh goodness, the kids got a HUGE kick out of this book. The six-year-old boy kept sayi...more
Alana
I brought this book home with one of my girls in mind who was once caught eating sugar in her closet. Little pea cannot have his dessert until he eats all the candy on his plate. A really cute book!
Alison
I haven't made a habit of putting children's lit on my list, but dd got this book from the library, and it's a great read! Especially if you have picky eaters...so funny!
Stacy
This is one of the best children's books I have ever read and that is saying a lot! Plus it emphasizes eating your veggies!
Sally
Perfectly cute twist on "eat your vegetables," for the pea is required to eat his candy before he can have spinach for dessert.
Inspired Kathy
Little pea is forced to eat candy for dinner!
Kathryn
Cute and funny!
Maribeth Tomas
Picture Book Project

Category: TumbleBook choice #2

Source: Children's Choice Award (2006)

This will entice readers with its simplicity and fun vibe. It is about a little pea who cannot have his dessert until he has eaten his whole meal--the twist? Candy is his meal and spinach is his dessert! Clever! This story is geared towards early elementary students.

The artwork is very simple. There aren't very many colors used and the pictures don't take up the whole page. The pictures move as the story is b...more
David
Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Jen Corace is a cute and funny look at picky eaters. Little Pea can't have his dessert unless he eats his .... Sound familiar? Wait! He can't have his dessert (spinach?) unless he eats his ... candy? Very Clever!

The text is minimal with familiar words. Rosentahal's choice of words used as Little Pea eats his candy "Yuck. Bleck. Pleh." are perfect. The illustrations are the highlight for me. Utilizing lots of white space and masterful use of line...more
Nura
don't use your logic when reading a children book. hahaha... jadi ga bisa nikmatin. kayak di buku ini misalnya. yang terlintas di pikiran gw saat si little pea main "melenting dari sendok" sama papanya, siapa yang nangkep dia? trus kalo melentingnya jauh, kalo nabrak tembok gimana? kan bahaya. dan di dunia si little pea ini, makanan utamanya itu permen, dessertnya bayam. hmm... everyone would hate candies if they have to eat it everyday, i guess. or maybe not?
Emilie
Sweet illustrations. Short book, abrupt ending (with a nice little pun).

A cute changeup for kids who don't like eating their vegetables. Not much extra substance, but might be useful for parents who are trying to ease vegetables into their children's mouths.

At the same time, however, I suspect the book may put too much emphasis on rewards (dessert, regardless of whether it's Little Pea's favorite, spinach, or a child's ice cream, etc) for eating "yucky" foods rather than developing an apprecia...more
مازن
little pea :)

description

Check video here :
Kelsey
Little Pea has to eat all of his candy before he can have dessert. Peas eat candy to grow up big and strong, just like humans eat vegetables. After Little Pea eats all of his candy, he is delighted to have spinach for dessert. Children will appreciate the fun twist in this story. It could be used to encourage print motivation.
Heidi
That's a cute twist on a familiar aspect of childhood. I like the illustrations--I've never thought a pea was so cute before. And I liked the activities that filled Little Pea's day. I think this book would work as a storytime or a lap-read as long as the child can see the humor of a vegetable not wanting to eat its candy. Shouldn't be too hard.(Though I'm in the same boat with Little Pea--yuck to candy.)

Summer 2010: I think I read this at one of my School-age storytimes. Don't remember details,...more
Christopher Skelskey
This is a fun book about a little pea that needs to eat lots of candy to grow up. He hates candy and his parents push him to eat candy, in order to get dessert. It was fun for 5-6 year olds, but I think a little older would get the whole point of eating healthy.
Tressa
This review will be short and sweet, just like the wonderful book Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. The premise of Little Pea flips the old “children won’t eat their peas” parental complaint on its head. Here you have a family of peas whose littlest pea is bemoaning the fact that he’s required to eat five pieces of candy before he can eat his dessert: spinach.

Little pea stalls as long as he can:

"Five pieces?" he whined.

"Five pieces," they chimed.

He proceeds to express his distaste with “yuck,”...more
Arminzerella
Little Pea lives with his parents and loves lots of things. Except dinner. He has to eat candy every day for dinner and he hates it. After he chokes down 5 pieces, his mom lets him have dessert - SPINACH! - how he loves dessert!

Cute alert! The illustrations of Little Pea and his family are really, really, really cute. Little Pea has little red freckles across his little green cheeks. His mom has little eyelashes. And they all have little black dot eyes and happy expressions (well, except for Lit...more
Aubrie Mcneal
Little pea is a great book about a little pea who doesn't want to eat her dinner (candy). The book is numerous and very relatable to children. I would use this book as a teacher by doing a compare contrast with Little Hoot.
Cierra Edwards
Little Pea would be an excellent book for younger children who are learning about manners or the rules at the dinner table. I really liked this book because it gave a funny twist to what we as humans have to do by eating all our nasty vegetables before we can have dessert. Instead of being a human's perspective, it was a pea's who had to eat all the candy in order to be rewarded with spinach. I also liked this book because it was very clever with the wording. For example, at the very end it said...more
Ashleigh

Awesome for teaching about perspective and a fun way to think about foods we like and don't like! The illustrations in this story are endearing and charming. From the very first page you love Little Pea and can relate his experience to one you've...more
Darlene
Cute children's book that is funny, too. This is about a family of peas whose nutrition needs are different than ours. My granddaughter loved and loved at it.
hehehe pea. 1 8 Apr 06, 2011 05:40PM
  • Someday
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • Rhyming Dust Bunnies
  • Penguin
  • I Will Surprise My Friend!
  • So Few of Me
  • A Book of Sleep
  • I'm a Shark
  • Little Owl Lost
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • The Odd Egg
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Lemons Are Not Red
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is. She divides her time.
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...
Duck! Rabbit! Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Exclamation Mark Little Hoot Chopsticks

“If you want to grow up to be a big, strong pea, you have to eat your candy," Papa Pea would say.” 8 likes