Start by marking “Double Jeopardy” as Want to Read:
Double Jeopardy

Double Jeopardy

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In America, it is illegal to prosecute a person for the same crime, no matter what the circumstances. It is a law intended to protect the innocent from unfair harassment and persecution.But sometimes it protects the guilty as well.

Guilty As Sin
The circumstantial evidence against southern businessman Mel Ignatow was solid -- effectively damning him for the savage 1988 sex t
Published October 1st 1996 by Avon (first published July 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Double Jeopardy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Jeopardy

Evan
I have this sitting in the basement. It was written by a longtime local newspaper columnist and documents the most notorious murder case in Louisville's history. It happened about 20 years ago. An older man, Mel Ignatow, murdered a young receptionist with whom he was having a bizarre relationship and with the help of his other older girlfriend tried to get rid of the body. He was obviously guilty but somehow was acquitted and the city was outraged. Right after Ignatow was freed horrific pictures ...more
Stephanie
Mar 08, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
I had read one book about this crime several years ago and then picked this one up at the library, in the throes of a slide toward the black hole of depression that is signaled by the tendency to pick up crap like this. What is it about the 364.1523 Dewey number that calls out to people who are bummed?

Anyway, this author REALLY painted the victim as this innocent thing. I think she was horribly tortured and killed and I hated myself for being angry at the author who went on and on about her naiv
Susan
Aug 20, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
I remember when I first heard about the Brenda Shaffer crime. Everyone in Louisville, I think, followed this one very closely because of the sheer horror. Mel Ignatow was accused of the sex murder of his ex fiance with the help of his former girlfriend. This happened in a house that backed up to my old high school. Everyone botched this case! He was not convicted for the crime because of a lack of evidence. However, he did later spend some time in jail for perjury against the court. Some time af ...more
Amy
Aug 19, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
The reputation of this case precedes the book. I moved to Louisville a little over ten years ago and even though this crime occurred over ten years before that, details of the case were stuff of urban legend. Mr. Hill delves into the character of each person who plays a part in this story and the reader is hooked from chapter one. This is a very engaging book about a truly horrific crime.
Mike
Dec 15, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
An excellent account of the horrific torture/murder of Brenda Schaefer by Mel Ingatow in Louisville in 1988. Ignatow was acquitted by a rural Kentucky jury of murder but, faced with new evidence, later pled guilty to lying to a federal grand jury about the murder. As part of his plea, he publically admitted killing Schaefer.
Amelia
Nov 02, 2011 Amelia rated it really liked it
Truth is stranger than fiction! You couldn't make a story like this up. Even though I knew the ending all along, it was still a very compelling read, and that says something about how well this book was written.
Sara
Oct 03, 2007 Sara rated it liked it
Crazy story. Well told. It was even better because I work with the author. "Every journalist has a book in them. You just have to find the right story." -- Bob Hill. We'll see.
Cindy Truluck
Jun 02, 2016 Cindy Truluck rated it liked it
scary how the system can be manipulated.
Violet Stout
Violet Stout is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Deborah Carpenter
Deborah Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Asarvambigai
Asarvambigai marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Tracy Turner
Tracy Turner marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jun 11, 2016
Gerry Hoencke
Gerry Hoencke marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Laura Codell
Laura Codell rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Betsy Boo
Betsy Boo rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Terri Diffenderfer
Terri Diffenderfer marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Julie Wilson
Julie Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Kyle Henderson
Kyle Henderson marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Lizette Ruiz-Huntington
Lizette Ruiz-Huntington marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Marisela
Marisela marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016