The Borders of Infinity

The Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga in Publication order #5.3)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,660 ratings  ·  36 reviews
[A Miles Vorkosigan Story] Miles infiltrates a prison camp at Dagoola IV, where he plots from within to free the prisoners.
[Publisher's Note: The Borders of Infinity was originally published as a stand-alone novella in the anthology Free Lancers in September 1987. It was then included in the novel Borders of Infinity (October 1989). For the novel, Ms. Bujold added a short...more
Published (first published September 1987)

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster BujoldBorders of Infinity by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Vor Game by Lois McMaster BujoldBarrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold
Female Hard SF Writers
27th out of 64 books — 18 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziOn Basilisk Station by David WeberThe Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Best Military Science Fiction Books
208th out of 362 books — 359 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
I dunno, I'm just not feeling too inspired to write a review, it's like I'm forcing myself here. is it the novella's fault? I don't think so. the story is about intrepid, quick-witted Miles on a secret mission in a POW camp. it's rather a perfect prison: just a big force field dome, the prisoners can do as they like, they are given clothes & bedding & regular food rations and that's pretty much it. the folks who have built the prison trot it out as some kind of benevolent example of how...more
Kathleen
This Vorkosigan Saga is also published in a collection of three novellas which is (redundantly) dubbed Borders of Infinity. The series is really growing on me, even though I don't typically read space opera / sci-fi.

I'm becoming fixated on Miles Vorkosigan, a brilliant mind in a brittle body. He's nothing to look at, standing not five-feet tall in his boots, with a skewed spine and bones that easily break. At age 23, his face already bears the stigmata of pain. I love to see him outsmart and o...more
Jun 18, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
I was in the last group to board my Southwest flight last night, so I knew there wouldn't be any window seats left. I squeezed in between two women in the fifth row, one with a Nook and one with a hardcover. "Reader's row!" one of them said as I sat down, book in hand. The pilot was expecting such turbulence that the beverage service was canceled and the seatbelt light was never extinguished, but if there were any bumps I didn't notice them. I read this novella cover to cover, hitting the final...more
Maggie K
Miles has a way of taking advantage of every opportunity presented him, always making for a great ride.

In this installment, he breaks out some POWs, but of course the real story as always is seeing the lessons he learns this time around. My favorite insight-His crush on fellow prisoner Beatriz comes to a very humasn end, as he watches his mother stride into his hospital room and realizes there is probably a psychological reason he always crushes on leggy redheads.

Its moments like these that give...more
Balkron
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th...more
This is one of my favorite of the Miles stories and one you have to read several times to get a full sense of the magic, especially because Miles is communicating his secret plans without outright saying what they are. The readers gets the same clues that the rest of his Dendarii get--and that's not much. You also get a sense of how close to the edge Miles is all the time and how deeply he feels for the people in his charge.
Nashoa
Kathy
Tamara!
The edition I read was a reflection on some past stories in Miles adventures and incorporated another I hadn't read yet. Having Miles hold nothing back and justify his 'expenses' while laying in a hospital meant a bit of re-reading, while getting some new material as well. Labyrinth was quite an adventure and more than a bit disturbing at times but was nice to see a 'quaddie' involved, as I was wondering when that would happen. The final story with the prison camp rescue gone awry yet again havi...more
Kat  Hooper
The Borders of Infinity has a different structure than the earlier VORKOSIGAN books. It’s actually three previously published novellas with a frame story. Simon Illyan, head of Imperial Security, is visiting Miles while he’s recuperating in the hospital after a surgery for bone replacements. Knowing that the government will start asking questions, Simon needs Miles to justify three large vague items in his expense reports. When Miles protests, Simon explains that because he’s the prime minister’...more
Fantasy Literature
June
May 26, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bujold and Vorkosigan fans
Recommended to June by: Erin
Shelves: adult, sciencefiction
Miles is visited by Illyan as he recuperates in the hospital to explain his mission reports.

Mountains of Mourning: Miles is sent by his father to investigate the killing of a mutie baby.

Labyrinth: Admiral Naismith is sent to pick-up Dr. Canaba from Jackson Hole and ends up rescuing Taura and Nicol also.

Admiral Naismith infiltrates an escape proof prison to rescue one man - guess how many they end up rescuing...
Rich
This is a three story collection, binding Mountains of Mourning, Labyrinth, and Borders of Infinity together with a wrapper story tying them together. Once again we find Miles, deep in over his head and thinking fast. Just another day for the young Vor Lord.
Anna
A really interesting look at how a state can be keeping to the letter of the international conventions on treatment of prisoners and still be torturing and dehumanising every one of their prisoners.

I like how this flirted with Miles's madness as he had to carry out his plan completely isolated.

Also how the book addressed the cost of Miles being Miles - too many other people get killed - too many of his friends.

The book was too short and peremptory though in looking at all these things, nothing...more
Melody
Yes, another one in the Vorkosigan saga. I can't stop reading them. I love Miles. Oh, how I love Miles. This novella shows Miles at his indomitable best and it's got some stand up and cheer moments. Bujold is really, really good at the novella-length work, I'm coming to understand. She tightens up her plots a little and really delivers a lot of emotional wallop. This story of how Miles comes naked and friendless to a prison camp and what happens next was too exciting and involving while I was re...more
Sineala
This Vorkosigan story is back in the space-opera mode, as Miles (while being Naismith) finds himself (well, intentionally places himself) in a Cetagandan prison camp, and from there he plots rescue, in the course of which he may or may not be part of a religion. It's a good story, of course, and Miles is his usual clever self, and the ending is awfully poignant.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite work in the Vorkosigan universe, and not even my favorite of the novellas -- that honor goes to "Labyrin...more
Donna
This novella was an excellent addition to the Vorkosigan saga. It's a tight, wonderfully crafted story with Miles at his best in a Cetagandan POW camp. I didn't really see how everything was going to come together until it did, which made the story all that more enjoyable.

Chronologically, this comes between Labyrinth and Brothers in Arms.
Kate
Again, Bujold is shown to be a master of her craft here. She seems to excel at writing novellas, and this one is just brilliantly tightly plotted, funny, moving, and shows Miles to be a brilliant tactician who is also incredibly human and utterly humane.

Miles is thrown into a prison dome by the Cetagandans to join other prisoners of war who have sunk into despair (and some into depravity) in sparse, barely legal conditions. It is only towards the end of the story that you actually get the full p...more
Michael Nash
Borders of Infinity is three short stories set in a frame narrative, all three with plots of the "Miles Vorkosigan is awesome" variety, all of them delightful. The first two return to one of Bujold's favorite themes of genetic modification and social stigma, while the third is a prison break story that explains the unenviable state in which we find the Dendari Mercenaries at the beginning of Brothers in Arms. Short, fast, and loads of fun.
TJ
What can I say regarding Ms. Bujold. Her writing is highly fluent, her characters are complex and layered and not only are her plots are original, she knows how to move them along to create tension and avoid gazing too long at the landscape. Along with Hobb, Sanderson and Abercrombe, she is at the pinnicle of F/SF writers today. The whole series is brilliant and fun.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
A short novella/novellete, it opens with Miles entering a Cetagandan prison. The story structure is a bit complicated by the fact that his reason for being there is not explained until the latter part of the story. A basically solid story, the novels tend to be better simply because the greater length allows more development of characters and plots.
Lyssa
If there was a book I would give anyone to learn how to write a great story, it would be this one. If there was a short-story that I would then point them to as one where you can read and reread and have things become clearer and make you as a reader amaze at the skill of the author, it would be "Borders of Infinity."
Bernardo
Una novela corta que prepara el terreno para "Hermanos en Armas". Nuevamente el genio de Miles, y en particular su astucia política, lo salvan de una situación aparentemente insalvable. El diseño y la descripción del campo de prisioneros cetagandano fue verdaderamente aterrador y desolador.
Jon
I read this short story as part of the Vorkosigan omnibus edition Miles Errant .

If you've ever wondered how Miles would survive and persevere as a prisoner of war, this story answers that question exceptionally well.
Stela Koycheva
последната история ми беше отковенно скуча и ме принуди да зарежа книгата за много дълго време.... но останалите две са много заваладяващи. възхищава ме ласкавия начин, по който хората в неравностойно положение и различните са описани. прекрасно и възпитателно!
Jay Hillery
It was a good expansion but I don't think it added anything to the character. He really just put him in a variety of situations and had him act the hero again and again. It was interesting to see the admiral aspect of him explored.
Renée
I LOVED this. One of my favorite Miles stories. I think because it's very reminiscent of near Earth history, but mostly because it's a distillation of Miles's character and actions in one small, but very important story.
Laurel
Jul 12, 2011 Laurel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
My eyes were moving across the page, trying to cover words as if I were running for my life! I don't know how Bujold does it, but I am a lifelong fan of both her writing and her greatest creation - Miles!
Will Boncher
Had no idea what was going on at first, very chaotic. Generally not my favorite way for a book to start but I caught up with the pace pretty quick and enjoyed it greatly.
Denis Barlow
Another excellent book from this author. Rapidly becoming hooked on her work. Glad that there are lots more in the series.
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • The Armageddon Inheritance (Dahak, #2)
  • Counting Heads (Counting Heads, #1)
  • Fire Watch
  • Homegoing
One of the most respected writers in the field of speculative fiction, Lois McMaster Bujold burst on to the scene in 1986 with Shards of Honor, the first of her tremendously popular Vorkosigan Saga novels. She has received numerous accolades and prizes, including two Nebula Awards for Best Novel (Falling Free and Paladin of Souls), four Hugo Awards for Best Novel (Paladin of Souls, The Vor Game, B...more
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...
The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2) The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)