Start by marking “Work Is Hell” as Want to Read:
Work Is Hell

Work Is Hell (Life in Hell #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  961 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Find out the astonishing answer in...

Work Is Hell

Another Mini-Jumbo Compendium of Hellish Cartons by That Darn Matt Groening

This Massive Behemoth Of A Book Contains Dozens Of Peculiar Yet Insightful Comic Strips -- many of which will make you laugh out loud no matter how lousy your job is.

Work is Hell contains a full 48 of the funniest, side-splittingest, tickle-boniest ca
Published July 12th 1986 by Pantheon (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Work Is Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work Is Hell

Florencia
Jan 02, 2015 Florencia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with no dream jobs but not so sad as to stare at a wall with a depressing train of thought
Questions: What do I want to be if I grow up? Why would anyone want to hire me? What if I make the wrong career choice? What if I don't like my job? How come I have such bad luck? How can I get rich? Does life have to be this tedious? When is my coffee break? Why me?
Answer: Get back to work.

(Chapter 1)

He is Matt Groening. You may remember him from such television series as The Simpsons and Futurama. He is also the creator of Life in Hell, a comic strip published from 1977 to 2012. There are se
Perry Whitford
Matt Groening is of course the creator of the Simpsons, which I used to watch religiously but I haven't felt compelled to watch for a years now. He started out as a modest cartoonist, combining crude yet characterful drawings with wry, gentle observations about childhood, school, work, love anf hell. Before Bart and Homer there were Binky the rabbit and twins that look like Charley Brown in a fez named Akbar and Jeff.

Work is Hell is a compilation of strips drawn between 1983-86, but apart from
Fira Nursya'bani
This book is suitable for fresh graduates who look for job. It's explaining how work is in funny way. Since Matt Groening is famous for The Simpsons, I enjoyed it as well as I enjoyed watching the Simpsons.
Misto
The best way to prepare yourself for work.
Josephus FromPlacitas
Come to Akbar and Jeff's Laundro-Hut! U Wash, U Dry, U Wait, U Scram.

God, I read these old cartoons and I wish Groening every bit of success he's gotten.* These are great. He's the undisputed mockery king of suburban hellishness and urban drudgery.

*Unless he regards the unkillable zombie corpse of The Simpsons to be some sort of curse, in which case I wish him, um...not every success?
Vanessa
My dad gave me this book 17 or 18 years ago and I can still say that it makes me laugh out loud. There is so much truth (and humor) in Groening's renditions of the types of bosses and co-workers, the purgatory of boredom often experienced in an office job. There is stuff in here that is straight out of the 80's, but it is fun to look back on.
Su
Regalo de navidad adelantado, justo cuando recién iniciaron mis vacaciones: el mejor momento para leerlo. Si estuviese trabajando, al día siguiente de terminarlo buscaría pelea con todo el mundo. Me hizo reír y al mismo tiempo quería iniciar una mini crisis de la edad media para abandonar toda esperanza. Cumplió mis expectativas :D
Rich
Haven't read this since I was in college in the late 80's. I remember loving it then, but it has definitely lost it's luster in the last 25 years. "Love In Hell" is definitely worth revisiting, but I think the rest can be skipped..... unless you just want to see the early workings of the mind that brought us "The Simpsons."
S.
This is painfully funny since you can't help but recognize yourself in it. Sadly (& gladly) I gave my copy to a former boss when he transferred to another bureau years ago.
jacky
The public library had these four books and I read them sometime in high school. I wound up buying them from the library later when they were getting rid of them.
Charles
way before the Simpsons, this book enabled me to understand my workplace and survive it.
keatssycamore
May 17, 2007 keatssycamore rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: "Sensitive Males"
That Matt Groenig was, in fact, kind of a comic strip genius.
Amanda
Not as funny as his other work, but I still enjoyed it.
Mark Dickson
More relevant to me than the Dilbert comics.
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Spam
Spam added it
May 19, 2015
Caitlin Zera
Caitlin Zera marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
  • Classics of Western Literature: Bloom County, 1986-1989
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Explainers: The Complete Village Voice Strips, 1956-1966
  • It's Obvious You Won't Survive by Your Wits Alone
  • The World of Chas Addams
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
Matthew Abram Groening is an American cartoonist, television producer and writer from Portland, Oregon.

Groening is best known as the creator of The Simpsons. He is also the creator of Futurama and the author of the weekly comic strip Life in Hell. Groening distributed Life in Hell in the book corner of Licorice Pizza, a record store in which he worked.

He made his first professional cartoon sale
More about Matt Groening...

Life in Hell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Love Is Hell
  • The Road To Hell
  • Binky's Guide to Love
  • The Huge Book of Hell
  • Will and Abe's Guide to the Universe
The Big Book of Hell Childhood Is Hell Love Is Hell Bart Simpson's Guide to Life: A Wee Handbook for the Perplexed The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family