Start by marking “The Treasure” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  526 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Three times a voice comes to Isaac in his dreams and tells him to go to the capital city and look for a treasure under the bridge by the royal palace. Feeling a little foolish perhaps, but determined to see for himself if the dream is true, Isaac sets out on his long journey. What he finds makes a surprising and heart-warming ending to this retelling of a well-known folk t ...more
Published September 1st 1986 by Square Fish (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsStone Soup by Marcia Brown
Caldecott Honor Books
102nd out of 246 books — 154 voters
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
296th out of 335 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
I have recently been reading many books by Uri Shulevitz and I have just stumbled upon this book called “The Treasure.” “The Treasure” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Uri Shulevitz and it is about a man named Isaac who tries to find a buried treasure after his dreams tell him about the treasure. “The Treasure” may have beautiful illustrations, but many children might be bored with the simple storyline.

There once lived a man named Isaac who was very poor, however one night Isaac had a dream where a
Mj
The Treasure is a simple story with a wonderful message. Words are used sparsely and have a cadence and innocent quality to them. I know children will love joining in, to read the story out loud. What is particularly fun is that the same words are used on the trip home from the Royal Palace that were used on the trip to the Royal Palace, except in reverse order. I thought this reverse repetition was quite clever and a good way to engage children.

While the story is good, the stars of the book ar
Karen
This is a great book! Picked it up at a Carole Joy Seid conference a while ago. Now that the kids are older, especially Jacob, he really gets it.
KevinL
I listened to the audio of the book. This is a great book that shows the great determination of the main character Isaac. Isaac grew up in poverty and knew what it was like to go to sleep hungry. One day he woke up from a dream that told him to go to the city and find a treasure under the bridge. Isaac thought nothing of this because it was only a dream. It wasn't until this dream occurred a second and a third time did Isaac really think something of it. Isaac srated out on his journey through t ...more
Dolly
Apr 04, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice story that is interesting for children and yet tells the moral "Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near." I'm not sure if our girls got much more than the literal plot of the story, but it provided an opportunity for us to discuss being grateful for the things we have and the people who are near and dear to us. The illustrations are colorful and complement the story nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Snorkle
The illustrations for this book really caught my eye, I couldn't help but like the way they were set up on the page, not fully covering it, but more like artwork in a gallery. The story was pretty simple, but its unique plot twist at the end was unexpected and pleasantly surprising. I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Nicole Lamb
Picture Book Critique #17

By: Uri Shulevitz

1. Picture Book Genre: Other – Traditional Literature and Caldecott Honor Book

2. Brief Summary: As one of the books I choose to read outside of the required categories I found The Treasure to be a compelling and intriguing tale about an elderly poor man names Isaac who traveled far from his home to the capital city to fulfill a vision from the same repeated dream. Isaac’s tale first begins as a very poor man who often goes to see hungry and a
S.K.
A beautiful story about inner strength and changing your own life. Well, that's what I took away from it after reading it to my kids. If a person has the inner strength to go on a journey to change their life...their life will change from their strength.

Beautiful all around.
Carole
An old man was very poor. He had one dream three different nights telling him to travel to the capital city to look under a bridge for a treasure. After the third dream he made the trip to the city but did not find the treasure.
Maggie
Caldecott Honor (1980)

Classic folk tale. The moral: "Sometimes you have to go far to find what is near." Pictures are a little small for a story time, but this would be a nice story to read one on one with a child.
Cindy
Mitchell
A simple Caldecott Honor Winning story that made me smile. The art is pretty but not overwhelming, the text is very readable and has good pacing. And there's just something about the story that I like. And yet I don't think it would hold up to repeated reading. And I don't think I particularly like the message.
Jacki
The Treasure is a folktale intended for Nursery readers. The Treasure was a Caldecott Honor Book in 1979.

The Treasure is a simple story about a man who had a dream and traveled a long way to look for the treasure promised him in his dream. He arrives at his destination and is greeted by a man who sends him home to discover his treasure.

The story is very simple, but the lesson learned is quite bold. The artwork is amazing, yet somewhat simple and minimal; the art is very poignant to the story. N
Linda Lipko
This 1980 Caldecott Honor book tells the tale of Isaac, who, living in poverty and need, heeds a voice spoken to in dreams Traveling far from his country side in the quest of finding a treasure under the bridge by the royal palace, Isaac learns a valuable lesson.

After a long, weary journey, Isaac does not find a treasure there and is told by a guard that perhaps he should return to where he came from and look for the treasure in his own home!

Returning, Isaac does just that, and lo and behold fin
Samantha
Isaac quite literally follows his dreams when they tell him to look for a treasure under the bridge by the Royal Palace. He makes the journey on foot and when he reaches the bridge he has a discussion with a palace guard who tells him that he had a dream that told him to go to Isaac's town and look for treasure buried beneath a stove. Isaac heads home, finds the treasure, builds a church, sends the palace guard a ruby, and lives in contentment the rest of his days. A simple story with a deeper m ...more
Becky B
Isaac dreams repeatedly that he will find treasure under the bridge in the city. At first he ignores the dream, but eventually he decides that if the dream keeps coming he should go check things out. He makes a long journey and finds he cannot get near the bridge because of guards. A conversation with one of the guards about dreams leads him back home where he finally finds treasure.

An allegorical tale about the things that can be found at home with beautiful illustrations. This one would be a g
Yuri
A very good book
Rebecca
May 08, 2015 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Mentioned at church
Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near.
Julie Gerrish
"The Treasure" is beautifully illustrated and teaches the lesson, "Sometimes one must travel far to discover what is near." I think it is appropriate for any age to read. The main character, Isaac, follows what his dream tells him to do and seeks treasure in the bridge of the capital city, only to discover from a soldier that what Isaac was seeking is at home. I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations.
Joshua Piorier
Great story!
Connie
I really like the illustrations in this book. They are neither too simple nor too complex.

And I like the style of this book, a direct, straight-forward storytelling.

I'm not sure I like the story itself, though I can't put my finger on *why*, exactly. It isn't all that compelling to me or my nieces (5 and 2.5), anyway.
Krista
This book is short and sweet, but gets the message across quite simply. It portrays how you should be happy with the treasures you have, and I think that that is a very important message for children so that they do not get greedy or selfish in the future. The illustrations were not my favorite, but I still enjoyed the book.
Brittany
This was a very cute book with a good meaning behind it. It is about the journey of a young boy who follows his dream to go to the city and find gold. It give a nice lesson that you might have what you are looking for right at home. The picture in the book were very beautiful as well.
Lesley
I just reread this book, and was reminded again of how much I enjoy the illustrations, as well as the story. I always enjoyed reading this book to my 1st and 2nd grade students, and it's one of the few children's books I've kept from my teaching days.
Vicki Nemeth
The story is well-structured, but the illustrations fall short. The left side of a given spread is too empty, having an average of five words but no illustration. Some of the illustrations are repetitive, although I do enjoy the style. Still worth a look.
Liz B
This is a beautifully illustrated story about a boy who has a dream of a place to go and find a treasure. He goes in search of this treasure and you may be surprised at what he finds. He understands that his is truly a treasure.
A destitute man dreams over and over again of a treasure and finally goes to seek it. He finds it in the most unlikely place, leading to a wonderful moral. Watercolor illustrations and good use of white space make this extra appealing.
Amanda
Caldecott. This book is possibly my favorite I've read so far. The illustrations are bright and warm at the same time. The story reminds me of "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, which is my favorite book.
Emily
We all loved it! The illustrations and the story. I especially love that it is SHORT, great for those weary get-the kids-to-bed fast nights. :) the boys have also asked interesting questions about it.
  • The Faithful Friend
  • Noah's Ark
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap
  • It Could Always Be Worse: A Yiddish Folk Tale
  • The Story of Jumping Mouse
  • Ben's Trumpet
  • Yonie Wondernose
  • Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)
  • Peppe the Lamplighter
  • Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems
  • Nothing At All
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • Dear Mr. Blueberry
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more
More about Uri Shulevitz...
Snow How I Learned Geography Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books Dusk So Sleepy Story