Start by marking “Sand Chronicles, Volume 5” as Want to Read:
Sand Chronicles, Volume 5

Sand Chronicles, Volume 5 (砂時計 1 #5)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  658 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
R to L (Japanese Style)

Twelve-year-old Ann and her divorced mother move from big city Tokyo to her mother's rural hometown. How will Ann survive her exile from civilization? Then, when her mother commits suicide, Ann has to grow up fast. As the years pass, Ann learns to trust and depend on her new friends--Daigo and aristocratic siblings Fuji and Shika. But when Ann moves
Published May 5th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published December 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sand Chronicles, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sand Chronicles, Volume 5

Joy
May 20, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joy by: Ysabet, Oyceter
Lesangdeslivres
Apr 16, 2015 Lesangdeslivres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga

La couverture est jolie et retrace parfaitement ce que ressentent les personnages dans ce volume.

Au départ, nous sommes confrontés à l’ambiance assez triste qui continue à se déverser dans ce tome. Nous étions inquiets à la fin du tome précédent, et maintenant, ça ne fait que confirmer notre ressentiment.
Nous ressentons comme une gène et une infinie tristesse entre nos personnages principaux tout au long de ce tome. Nous ne nous sentons pas à notre place,
Sophia F
Jun 30, 2014 Sophia F rated it really liked it
Kayla Loewen
Nov 23, 2015 Kayla Loewen rated it it was amazing
I cried so much; the pain was real! The story is so good!
Dec 19, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: type-manga
When I began reading manga (which was only two months ago), I never expected to read something that was truly touching. I thought it would all be fun and cute. This series changes my mind completely about the type of manga I like. Sure, I enjoy reading funny manga like Special A or cute manga like Fruits Basket, but I enjoy reading manga with a realistic story line and deeper meaning much more. It’s just better that way. That’s what this series was for me and I can only hope I’ll find more like ...more
Theresa ♫
Jan 12, 2013 Theresa ♫ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: If you need to cry, come and grab this book and soak your tears in it.
OH.
EM.
GEEZAY.

.......(*sniff.)
...............(*sniff sniff)
Oh no.....(*sniffle)......(*sniffle)
Urrrgh (*sniff)....(*cough).......Grggh! (*sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle sniffle) I HATE WHEN MY NOSE GETS CLOGGED WHILE I'M CRYING!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm not necessarily crying right now but I swear. I'm this close to it.)

I want to just... do THIS:

description

And then jump into the book and go right to Ann's face and say

description

SDIFJALSGUWSAPDNGALSDBUIASNFASABBADOOGIE!!!!!

(*Ahem...
Alison (AlisonCanRead)
Aug 27, 2011 Alison (AlisonCanRead) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Another heavy volume. Although all these volumes are heavy. There are few moments of humor. The volume starts after Daigo told her he needed a break, some time to think. He obviously needed quite a bit of time, because he never called her like he promised. Ann and Daigo are trying to forget their pain in the heat and relaxation of summer, but it's not working too well. Ann can't stand the wait any longer, so she flies to Shimane to meet Daigo. There's a beautiful page spread when they meet at th ...more
Sébaste
Feb 14, 2014 Sébaste rated it really liked it
Saif Al-Taee
Aug 08, 2009 Saif Al-Taee rated it it was amazing
An Emotional Roller coaster!

This manga series is upon one of the best that have ever been drawn. The story is so realistic to the point where you wonder if whats going on is going to happen to you. This is a story about a girl who falls in love with a boy, then the boy falls in love and then they think they will fall in love forever but..... *SPOILERS*

All I have to say is that this manga has LOVE, BETRAYAL, ADULT-STUFF, and DRAMATIC DRAMA!!

and I am not surprised that the author has won the 50th
Kristen
May 23, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
Not that I ever really liked Shika, but I'm super beginning to not like her. Though I understand her, I suppose. You can't choose your first love and it's always hard when it's unrequited.
Chisom A
Mar 19, 2015 Chisom A rated it really liked it
I actually thought this manga was more of a 4.8/5, but I rounded downwards.
Winter
Sep 17, 2015 Winter rated it it was amazing
im glad that they are not together anymore!!!!!!!!!!!
Katy
Aug 07, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing
Feeeeeelsss T.T
Sarah Maddaford
I'm never really a big fan of the main couple breaking up, but I'm still fascinated by this series. This one yet again goes no further than kissing and holding hands, but the drama is just intense. There is still very little language and I don't think anyone gets hit in this one although someone does drive someone else into a break down. I just figured out that my library doesn't have the whole series so if the next two books are as good, I may have to break down and buy the eighth and so on...
scarlettraces
Jun 28, 2009 scarlettraces rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loaners, manga-manhwa
the best solidly realistic coming-of-age manga i know of. others probably have it beat all up (nana, saikano) but those have the advantage of settings and storylines that allow more scope. the art of sand chronicles is also fairly standard, though pleasantly rendered, rather than so finely expressive. but it's an excellent exploration of adolescence and at times truly heartbreaking (although i don't think Asihara has ever topped the first volume). a good manga to suck someone in with.
Lucille
Feb 10, 2013 Lucille rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-manga
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why Ann? Why?! I'm not going to read this anymore. Too sad. Too stupid. Ann is such a crybaby.

I really hate those heroines who break up with their boyfriends because they don't want to hurt them anymore. Ugh. Don't they realize that when they break up, it hurts them too?
jenni  Ⓥ
Jun 30, 2012 jenni Ⓥ rated it it was amazing
I've been completely sucked in to this series. Watching Ann and her friends grow up is painful. I've started to question whether or not Ann and Daigo should really be together. Ann and Shika's friendship is put to the test. Gut-wrenching.
Lauren
Apr 30, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I wasn't to impressed with this series. I really thought I would like it more but nothing about it impressed me very much. Overall the only thing that was good about this magna was the drawing style.
Amy Gideon
Jan 11, 2015 Amy Gideon rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite installment so far. The emotion conveyed on each pane feels real. There isn't a character I can't relate to.
Keri (JD)
Apr 29, 2012 Keri (JD) rated it really liked it
This series is really picking up, I am really enjoying the realistic angst the characters are feeling.
Katie
Feb 21, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
see full review @ Katie's Corner
Dylan
Apr 20, 2009 Dylan rated it liked it
Jenny Thurlow
Feb 23, 2013 Jenny Thurlow rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
These characters infuriate me.
Emma
Dec 12, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I love this manga series so much :)
Maureen
Sep 05, 2013 Maureen rated it liked it
A little disappointed in this one.
Thalita Godinho
Thalita Godinho rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2016
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
  • Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)
  • We Were There, Vol. 4
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 3
  • Crimson Hero, Volume 10
  • Love★Com, Vol. 16
  • High School Debut, Vol. 11 (High School Debut, #11)
  • Monkey High!, Vol. 5
Debut with "Sono Hanashi okotowari shimasu" in 1994 on Bessatsu Shoujo Comics.

Genres
Shoujo(17) Romance(14) Drama(11) School Life(6) Slice of Life(5) Sports(2) Comedy(2) Historical(1) Mystery(1) Mature(1) Gender Bender(1)

Japanese name: 芦原 妃名子
More about Hinako Ashihara...

砂時計 1 (10 books)
  • Sand Chronicles, Vol. 1 (Sand Chronicles, #1)
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 2