Start by marking “Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)

Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,646 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Asuka Masamune is a guy who loves girly things--sewing, knitting, making cute stuffed animals and reading shojo comics. But in a world where boys are expected to act manly, Asuka must hide his beloved hobbies and play the part of a masculine jock instead. Ryo Miyakozuka, on the other hand, is a girl who can't sew or bake a cake to save her life. Asuka finds himself drawn ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Otomen, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otomen, Vol. 2

Sesana
Apr 10, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
More of a 3.5 star book, and I couldn't quite bring myself to bump it up to 4.

What I liked most about the first volume (Asuka himself, and the message that you shouldn't hold yourself to stereotypes) are still here. But Ryo was a less active participant this time, and the storyline with Asuka's mother trying to marry him off was a little too cliche for me to enjoy, and his mother was herself too manipulative and creepy.
Patricia
Jul 09, 2009 Patricia rated it liked it
How can I put this?? I like it; I like how Asuka is more like a girl but sometimes its a little overdone. No one should be that girly. And although he's an otomen, he still manages to be a good-looking guy who can actually beat some buttocks. He hasn't made any real progress towards Ryo. But he's really trying and it better pay off.

I REALLY like Juta. He's hilarious. Asuka is in "danger" and all Juta can think about is how the situation his muse is in is great material for Love Chick. But it ma
Alie
Dec 23, 2015 Alie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this volume nearly as much as the first one. However, it felt like the story didn't really progress too much throughout the chapters. We were introduced to some rather odd characters in this volume (Asuka's mother, for one, who is deeply traumatized by her past relationship) which lead to a rather unlikely, although entertaining, plot line for part of volume two.

Since it's nearing Christmas, I absolutely loved the Christmas-themed chapter; it was really sweet.
Zen Cho
Feb 07, 2010 Zen Cho rated it liked it
1. Masculinity of small fluffy boy affirmed through violence, yay, how revolutionary. I do think in that scene it's Asuka's acknowledgment of small fluffy boy's identification as a man which matters more than his beating up the thugs, but since the acknowledgment is conveyed by allowing small fluffy boy to beat up the thugs, well.

2. I could wish that Miyakozuka got more screentime. This manga totally fails the Bechdel test so far, sigh. I suppose I can sort of appreciate how it helps to have Miy
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
May 25, 2009 Candice M (tinylibrarian) rated it really liked it
As you can see, I really couldn't wait to find out what happened in this series because I went out and bought it as soon as I realized that this volume was out! In this volume, we meet Asuka's scary mother and a new student who looks like a girl, but is a boy who admires Asuka. How will Asuka hide his cute hobbies from his mother and also the new boy?!
Elspeth
Feb 20, 2015 Elspeth rated it it was ok
The more I read this manga, the more I just don't like the fiance story arc. It's just irritates me for some illogical reason.
Emily
Apr 19, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
This second volume was just as fun as the first. I'm liking the series.
Sarah Valerie
I think I enjoyed this volume a lot more than the last. Easily, five stars.
Marsha
Aug 08, 2012 Marsha rated it liked it
Asuka has found himself an admirer—in the form of an oh-so-cute boy stalker. Eep! But it’s not love, lust, affection or even hero worship, although the latter does play some part in little Yamato’s attentions. The fact that he finds Asuka to be the masculine ideal he’s been searching for is rather funny, as is his determination to model himself on Asuka’s presumed uber-masculinity.

This gives another layer to Asuka’s on-going struggles to be known as a real man while hiding his otomen tendencies.
Emy
Sep 02, 2016 Emy rated it liked it
Shelves: shoujo-manga, 2016
Asuka is a guy who likes all things feminine - sewing, baking, shoujo manga. After his father left to become a woman, and his mother told him he has to be masculine, he tries to hide that side of him, becoming talented at kendo, judo, and karate. Will Asuka be able to win the girl he likes and be true to himself at the same time?

There are three different storylines in this volume. The first is about Yamoto, a boy who looks like a girl but who just wants to be seen as masculine. The second is a C
Georgina Howlett
Jun 26, 2013 Georgina Howlett rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, this volume of Otomen was great! I really loved how it was all set up and I have to say that I respect Asuka ten times more now because of the decision he made about his future. Juta was so funny and I liked how the three of them (Asuka, Juta and Ryo) changed the creepy building into their own little private space. I wish I could do that with some friends of mine, but alas, I don't have any that are close enough to me for that.
The Christmas part I felt was great, even if Aya Kanno didn'
Viridian5
Aug 12, 2012 Viridian5 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa, humor
Rachel A.
So I read this and it was pretty much as good as the first. It wasn't action but drama, fun and crazy people! I did really like it and finished it super quickly. I don't feel as if there is just enough stuff to talk about when it comes to this book to be honest, so this will be a fast review!

I was a little sad that we didn't see Ryo as much in this volume as we did volume one, I feel that she is a very important character and that she needed more explaining and depth. Once again, Juta is still a
Ghofran
Sep 22, 2015 Ghofran rated it liked it
I'm really enjoying these, but I do wish Ryo had more development. Then again she is suppose to be the typical male shoujo lead who tend to be either boring or detestable so at least she's leaning more towards the former who is at least likable.

Asuka is really adorable, and I do love how this manga is very Japanese, as in it's challenging the Japanese gender roles and examining it. It might not seem progressive if you're looking at it with western lenses, but it's really out there if you're jud
Dani
This manga is so cute because of Asuka and Juta.

Asuka is contrasted perfectly so that he's mainly looking and you feel safe due to his ability to defend. Yet he can cook and craft with the best of them as well as clean and decorate. How is that not cool? Juta is really all you dislike in a guy as far as ladies men go and telling you what you want to hear so he can get his outcome. Yet he's endearing and you want him around as a friend. He's a great foil for Asuka as he appreciates Asuka's skills
Sophia F
Jul 05, 2015 Sophia F rated it it was amazing
Introducing many more characters, Otomen continues to develop by inserting problematic situations. Asuka gained a male apprentice who wishes to learn from his mannliness, and Asuka's mother who loves masculinity shows up, encouraging him to be married off to this young girl. In between, we also have the typical Christmas section (which made me realize why do they even celebrate Christmas? They're Buddhists...) But instead of our romantic scene, Asuka and Ryo have their Christmas party in a ...more
Reader17 Der
Oct 22, 2011 Reader17 Der rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-read
I am enjoying this series. This is about Askua who's a guy that like girly things. But because his mother doesn't agree he has to hide it from her and act all manly. Askua like Ryo and is trying to hide the fact he like girly things. Askua is so cute when he blushing when he sees something he likes, or is doing things he likes.

In this volume Askua mother intrudes him to someone that he wants to be come his financee. Will Askua like this girl, and how will their meeting go. You will have to read
Amy Thorne
Jun 22, 2009 Amy Thorne rated it did not like it
Volume 1 was fine, but this one...well, I just don't think Kanno had a clear idea of the character of her story. Asuka remains likeable, but his mom is off-puttingly clinical. And while the running joke is that the best example of "feminity" and "womanhood" is in fact a man, eventually it feels like maybe the real message is that the notion of what defines "feminine" and "masculine" is outdated and incorrect--and that's really just not that funny.

Also, why are the sides of so many panels cut of
Rebecca Ann
Feb 16, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This was just as cute as volume one and twice as hilarious. Asuka gains a follower, a fiance, and has christmas with Ryo. My favorite was the last chapter because it seemed to have an extra dose of outrageousness with the tiny, childlike girl Asuka is engaged to. She even drugs him at one point to dress him in a prince costume. Both disturbing and amusing. I didn't really get the christmas segment, because everyone in this seems to be Buddhist, but whatevs.
Chriss
Jan 03, 2011 Chriss rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-and-manga
Volume 1 I enjoyed. Volume 2 of this series, though, was just random and unconnected. The second story in the volume wasn't too bad, but the first story was like missing coming in ten minutes into a movie. I won't be reading anymore of the Otomen volumes after reading #2. Some good ideas are in there, the story execution was just blah.
Mariah
Aug 19, 2015 Mariah rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Asuka's mom is one scary character. I wouldn't want her to find out either considering she faints at the very thought of him turning out like his father. Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with liking cute things and sewing and cooking, although I can see her point of view as well I just don't believe that she should have taken it to that level.
Treasure
The further adventures of Ryo, Asuka, and Juta turns out to be rather disjointed and downright ridiculous and trite at times. Asuka's mother is horrid-- manipulative, passive aggressive, and worst of all, annoying. She could have been a cool dramatic foil or downright evil, but instead she is stupid and irritating and soulless.
Andrew
Jun 08, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
We delve a little deeper into Asuka's otomen nature in this volume and out about his idea of romance. Not to give out any spoilers, but it involves a lot of fancy dinners. This title remains perfectly pleasant entertainment.
Michael (Mai)
Dec 13, 2014 Michael (Mai) rated it really liked it
Another cute read. I love it when tiny cute girls in manga turn out to be control freaks who hold some info over the main dude so he has to do what she wants. It happens all the time in shojo manga but I love it.
Starbubbles
Oct 21, 2012 Starbubbles rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I have more of these checked out from the library, but I just don't know if I want to continue. We'll have to see...

*update*
I have decided against reading any further. Too many books at the library that have caught my eye, and not enough time to check them all out.
Avery
Jul 30, 2013 Avery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books, manga
Oh my, a new character; and she CERTAINLY has problems (not that the rest of the characters don't). I still don't understand why the main love interest doesn't understand the protagonist's feelings...
Kereesa
Dec 24, 2013 Kereesa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of OHC
Recommended to Kereesa by: Isabel
Cute, but still swimming in those cliches.

The Fiance sub-plot was pretty hilarious, though :P

4/5

*****ALSO THEY HAVE THE WRONG COVER FOR THIS VOLUME. GOODREADS PLEASE FIX IT*****

Wow, someone did fix it!
scarlettraces
Jul 11, 2009 scarlettraces rated it liked it
Shelves: loaners, manga-manhwa
fun, if you can cope with the paper-thin plot. i did like the prince on the white horse. (and i'll be interested to see how the tv series shapes up. please god no princess princess.)
Dorcas
Aug 04, 2009 Dorcas rated it liked it
still think it perpetuates some gender stereotypes at the same time overturning others, but it's unique enough to keep my interest.
Christine
Mar 03, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, own-it
Hmm, this is getting kind of silly and it's only the second volume. I'll keep reading the series, if I can find the next volume somewhere without having to pay full-price.
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 3
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 4
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 5
  • Yurara, Vol.2
  • High School Debut, Vol. 06 (High School Debut, #6)
  • Basara, Vol. 2
  • Cat Street, Vol. 3 (Cat Street #3)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 2  (Library Wars: Love & War #2)
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 2 (Butterflies, Flowers, #2)
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 2
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
Aya Kanno (菅野 文; Kanno Aya) is a Japanese shōjo manga artist. She is the former assistant of mangaka Masashi Asaki of Psychometrer Eiji fame. Her debut was in the January 2001 issue of Hana to Yume with Soul Rescue. Thus far, her work has only been serialized in Hakusensha's shōjo manga anthologies: Hana to Yume, The Hana to Yume, Hana to Yume Plus, and now primarily in Bessatsu Hana to Yume, in w ...more
More about Aya Kanno...

Otomen (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Otomen, Vol. 1 (Otomen, #1)
  • Otomen, Vol. 3 (Otomen, #3)
  • Otomen, Vol. 4 (Otomen, #4)
  • Otomen, Vol. 5 (Otomen, #5)
  • Otomen, Vol. 6 (Otomen, #6)
  • Otomen, Vol. 7 (Otomen, #7)
  • Otomen, Vol. 8 (Otomen, #8)
  • Otomen, Vol. 9 (Otomen, #9)
  • Otomen, Vol. 10 (Otomen, #10)
  • Otomen, Vol. 11 (Otomen, #11)