Start by marking “Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution” as Want to Read:
Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
Preview

Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Seymour Reit re-creates the true story of Will Knox, a nineteen-year-old boy who undertook the daring and dangerous task of transporting 183 cannons from New York’s Fort Ticonderoga to Boston--in the dead of winter--to help George Washington win an important battle.
Published August 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Guns for General Washington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guns for General Washington

Amanda
A great true short story of Henry Knox' retrieval of the artillery at Ft. Ticonderoga. Easy to read. Finished in a couple hours.
Kory Bootsma
Guns for General Washington by Seymour Reit is a story about the role a nineteen year old boy played during the American Revolution. Based on historical fact of the battles within the Northeastern United States, William is faced with assisting General Washington by transporting munitions to each battle site. Yet challenges prevail: blizzards, guns too heavy for boat transport, moving cannons across mountains, and frozen lakes will hinder his movement. And will Will finally survive the battles th ...more
DoriAnn Haskins
I got this for my 8yo to read as we're learning about the revolution, but it's a story that I wasn't familiar with either, and I really enjoyed it. Though it is an easy enough read for a 3rd grader, it's got enough meat to it to be enjoyable for an adult as well. Knox's trip to Ft. Ticonderoga is an amazing adventure. I can't believe that I hadn't heard of it before this! I highly recommend this book.
Heather
We finished this after taking a month-long break. My boys and I really enjoyed this often passed over piece of history. We read the last 10 or so chapters in one day because the boys HAD to know how it ended and the action was really heating up. One of the kids paced the floor for over half an hour until everything was concluded.

The story was well written with just enough detail to help you imagine it without being cumbersome. The Knox brothers are fantastic characters, from what I've read in ot
Jill
My son read this from his school's library. It uses historical letters and words from the era to tell the story. I ended up helping my son read the beginning of the book because the writing was advanced for his level. I really enjoyed learning about the story of the cannons. Great story to introduce historical fiction to young readers.
Miss Amanda
gr 4-7 98 pgs

1775 journey from Fort Ticonderoga to Boston. Guns are needed to defend Boston. 19 year old Will and his brother Colonel Knox must move 183 cannons all the way from Fort Ticonderoga to Boston. Along the way, they must overcome may dangers and challenges.
Orlando
Will Knox is 19 years old and is frustrated with life in General Washington's army.But Will's brother, Henry, devises a daring plan: They go acros three hundred miles of dangerous mountain wilderness to bring 183 cannons from Fort Ticonderoga back to Boston. the officers said the journey is impossible. Will and Henry spur on the men who have bravely joined them, hoping to arrive in Boston in time to win the battle for the Americans.

Deanna
Great story. I cried again at the end. This time I learned from this book that ordinary people can do impossible things that can change the world. Without the guns that the Knox brothers delivered to General Washington the Patriots would not have been able to kick the British out of Boston. Without the guns they wouldn't have won the war either.

This is a fabulous book to read to your children when you study the Revolutionary War.
Cathrine Bonham
Oct 19, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Revolutionary war buffs
Very exciting and true Story about the American Revolution.

The Americans need canons in order to fight the British luckly they know where some are. Unluckily the journey is long and dangerous and the bitter North American Winters arn't helping. Getting there was one thing now they have to go back with 5 tons of extra weight.
Natalie
I knew that bringing the guns from Ticonderoga absolutely saved the Revolutionary Army and the besieged city of Boston, but I didn't know exactly what kinds of miracles and grit were involved. Seymour Reit tells the story in a simple, yet gripping manner, sure to catch the attention of late elementary school readers.
Jeremy
Great book to read aloud to my 5th graders. I've been looking for one for a long time that will pull the kids along through the book and give them a little different perspective than the typical George Washington or Paul Revere story!
Mark D
This book was amazing, I really liked how there was an adventure and a historical backround and how General Washington saved the USA from the redcoats. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes reading historical fiction.
Maria
The tenacity of Henry Knox and the ingenuity of Will Knox his brother enabled the impossible task of bringing tanks and other ammunition so the British could be defeated in Boston. Awesome story!
Carissa
While this book was well-written, it bored the heck out of me. I couldn't follow the different characters and story lines. Hopefully the boys got more out of it than I did.
Angelyn
Of course I love any book about George Washington. Read this one and then take your kids to Fort Ticonderoga in New York.
Josh
This book is pretty good. It is about how Washington is out of guns and someone says they will go get the guns
Conner
It was really good book it more like a history book than a story book.
Laurie D'ghent
Couldn't get into it. Too much history text, not enough story.
Tara
Feb 21, 2014 Tara marked it as to-read
How do you read it on this app, it won't let me read it!
Julia
Mar 05, 2008 Julia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Julia by: teacher
Shelves: boring
it was boring
Kim
multiple copies 5
Edie Overduin
Edie Overduin marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Leann Nichols
Leann Nichols marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Kristi
Kristi added it
Apr 11, 2015
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
  • Cast Two Shadows: The American Revolution in the South
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • Skippack School
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
  • Just Jane: A Daughter of England Caught in the Struggle of the American Revolution
  • The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
The Secret Of NIMH Behind Rebel Lines Scotland Yard Detective (Time Machine, #17) Race Against Death: A True Story of the Far North The Day They Stole the Mona Lisa