Start by marking “The Story Of George Washington Carver” as Want to Read:
The Story Of George Washington Carver

The Story Of George Washington Carver

Born into slavery, George Washington Carver became one of the most prestigious scientists of his time. This biography follows Dr. Carver's life from childhood to his days as a teacher and discoverer.
Published February 1st 1990 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Story Of George Washington Carver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Of George Washington Carver

Sam Kuntz
Jun 20, 2016 Sam Kuntz rated it it was amazing
Dedra
Oct 18, 2016 Dedra rated it liked it
I read this one with my son for school. It wasn't his favorite, but he didn't complain. Great for the historical aspect.
Laura Verret
George was just a baby when his mother, Mary, was kidnapped off of their owner, Moses Carver’s, land. Mr. and Mrs. Carver cared for both George and his brother, Jim, in the absence of their mother, and treated them with great kindness. George was a slight boy who could not do hard work, so he soon began to occupy himself with the care of Mrs. Carver’s garden. Through observation and experimentation, he grew to understand what the different plants needed to thrive.

But George wanted to know about
Hudson
Jan 23, 2015 Hudson rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a great book! There was a balance of everything. There was not too much detail, but there was not too little detail. Sometimes children's biographies can be really boring but this one was perfect. It was not boring. It was actually not at all boring! It was AMAZING! George Washington Carver discovered lots of ways to use sweet potatoes and peanuts. He actually had three hundred products, like ice cream and shampoo, and peanut oil for your skin. He worked super hard. When he was ...more
Jessica
Dec 17, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Identifying the appropriate genre: Biography

Review/Summary: George Washington Carver was born a slave. He grew up to become a very famous scientist. He studied plants and created ways to make soil better for crops (cotton) by planting sweet potatoes and peanuts. He then went on to do what he is most well-known for, he invented hundreds of ways to use peanuts and sweet potatoes.

Writing Trait: The Story of George Washington Carver includes a writing trait:

Organization: This book starts with the
Rebekah
Apr 18, 2016 Rebekah added it
Shelves: reading-350
It's not where you start; it's where you finish! That adage really does fit George Washington Carver. Born into slavery, orphaned as an infant, scrawny with a stuttering problem, and not physically fit for outdoor work, George found a way to fulfill his dreams of getting an education and helping his people to improve their lot in life. He always loved plants and the culmination of his career was finding hundreds of uses for sweet potatoes and peanuts! What an inspiration is the life of this hard ...more
Sandi
Feb 20, 2010 Sandi rated it really liked it
While the description above has nothing to do with the book, the title and author are accurate. This was a very interesting book about Dr. Carver's life. It is written for elementary school kids. It describes his life and hardships without the gruesome details. I felt comfortable letting my child read this account of Dr. Carver's life.
Beth
Feb 25, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, 2011
I can't think of a more inspiring person for young people to read about. This is a simple biography of George Washington Carver, but my students never fail to love it. There are so many life lessons that can be taught from his actions.
Spencer
Apr 18, 2008 Spencer rated it really liked it
I read a biography of George Washington Carver about three years ago, that really helped me understand and appreciate the accomplishments of this humble and intelligent man. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if it was this biography or not. It was an older biography.
Godzillla /rayvon
Jan 12, 2008 Godzillla /rayvon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: If you want to know more about slavery
Recommended to Godzillla by: matthew
Jeremaih picked out this book for me and I did't really
unstand.And it was kind of boring,But if you want to know more about slavery then you should read this book.
Brian Sims
Jul 12, 2010 Brian Sims rated it it was amazing
It’s a children’s 100-page Scholastic Biography of the amazing story of an American who was born a slave and became a world-famous scientist, worth every minute of the read.
CFAITC
Sep 30, 2013 CFAITC added it
Shelves: intermediate
This biography describes the life of George Washington Carver, who was born a slave and became a world famous scientist.
Pujan Gurung
I love this book because George Washington Carver was a great scientist and inventions he made stuffs out of peanuts.
Mairin
Dec 11, 2013 Mairin rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. It was easy for my age, but I learned cool things in it. If you like nature, exploration, gardening and history, I would recommend this book for you.
Madison
Madison rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Joe Gallo
Joe Gallo rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Chandler
Chandler rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
A.J.
A.J. rated it it was ok
May 28, 2011
Carmen Orellana
Carmen Orellana rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010
Barbara Dezobel
Barbara Dezobel rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2016
Stephanie Culver
Stephanie Culver rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
Billy
Billy rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
devon sanders
devon sanders rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Lia
Lia rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2009
Miranda
Miranda rated it did not like it
Dec 01, 2016
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Story Of Thomas Alva Edison
  • If You Grew Up With Abraham Lincoln
  • The Story of Harriet Tubman: Conductor of the Underground Railroad
  • Kate Shelley and the Midnight Express (On My Own History)
  • Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker
  • Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille
  • Christopher Columbus
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Amelia Earhart: The Legend of the Lost Aviator
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. (DK Biography)
  • Lost Star: The Story of Amelia Earheart
  • Gentle Annie
  • Class President
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • Oil Spill!
  • Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?
  • The First Woman Doctor: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
  • Stealing Home: The Story of Jackie Robinson