Start by marking “The Story Of George Washington Carver” as Want to Read:
The Story Of George Washington Carver

The Story Of George Washington Carver

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Born into slavery, George Washington Carver became one of the most prestigious scientists of his time. This biography follows Dr. Carver's life from childhood to his days as a teacher and discoverer.
Published February 1st 1990 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Story Of George Washington Carver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Of George Washington Carver

Hudson
I thought it was a great book! There was a balance of everything. There was not too much detail, but there was not too little detail. Sometimes children's biographies can be really boring but this one was perfect. It was not boring. It was actually not at all boring! It was AMAZING! George Washington Carver discovered lots of ways to use sweet potatoes and peanuts. He actually had three hundred products, like ice cream and shampoo, and peanut oil for your skin. He worked super hard. When he was ...more
George was just a baby when his mother, Mary, was kidnapped off of their owner, Moses Carver’s, land. Mr. and Mrs. Carver cared for both George and his brother, Jim, in the absence of their mother, and treated them with great kindness. George was a slight boy who could not do hard work, so he soon began to occupy himself with the care of Mrs. Carver’s garden. Through observation and experimentation, he grew to understand what the different plants needed to thrive.

But George wanted to know about
Sandi
While the description above has nothing to do with the book, the title and author are accurate. This was a very interesting book about Dr. Carver's life. It is written for elementary school kids. It describes his life and hardships without the gruesome details. I felt comfortable letting my child read this account of Dr. Carver's life.
Spencer
I read a biography of George Washington Carver about three years ago, that really helped me understand and appreciate the accomplishments of this humble and intelligent man. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if it was this biography or not. It was an older biography.
Beth
Feb 25, 2011 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, kids
I can't think of a more inspiring person for young people to read about. This is a simple biography of George Washington Carver, but my students never fail to love it. There are so many life lessons that can be taught from his actions.
Mairin
This was a pretty good book. It was easy for my age, but I learned cool things in it. If you like nature, exploration, gardening and history, I would recommend this book for you.
Brian Sims
It’s a children’s 100-page Scholastic Biography of the amazing story of an American who was born a slave and became a world-famous scientist, worth every minute of the read.
Godzillla /rayvon
Jan 12, 2008 Godzillla /rayvon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you want to know more about slavery
Recommended to Godzillla by: matthew
Jeremaih picked out this book for me and I did't really
unstand.And it was kind of boring,But if you want to know more about slavery then you should read this book.
CFAITC
Sep 30, 2013 CFAITC added it
Shelves: intermediate
This biography describes the life of George Washington Carver, who was born a slave and became a world famous scientist.
Jodi
read this to one of my kids for a book report. educational and interesting.
Skye
Simple read for kids about an interesting man.
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Laura added it
May 20, 2015
Mande
Mande added it
May 12, 2015
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jesus
Jesus marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Shanell Chavis
Shanell Chavis marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Haley Current
Haley Current marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Jan 03, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 07, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2) Truth About Bats (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #1) Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3) Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4) Lucky Ducklings