Start by marking “Best Friends” as Want to Read:
Best Friends

Best Friends

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Since childhood, Sam Grandy and Roy Courtright have been best friends. They grew up in the same prosperous community, went to the same prep school, and later entered the same university. After Sam's father died, Roy's father looked after him. At one point Sam dated Roy's sister, Robin. As best friends, they share a close and loving bond, often stronger than the relationshi
Published May 6th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Best Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Friends

Greg
I have to admit - I was less than impressed. Berger's style was consistent with his other novel I read, "Meeting Evil," and it's just not compelling to me. His narration is fluid but thin; he seems to comment from 30,000 feet and his characters seem slightly lifeless and their motivations unclear. I actually thought the plot of this novel was intriguing and really wish it had been pulled off better. It was an extremely quick read, though, and if you're curious, it wouldn't take long to satisfy y ...more
Candice
Frenemies: the male version. Berger did a good job showing the complexities of friendships formed during childhood and maintained for life. Two stars for plot, four stars for characterization = three stars. This is not an "and they all lived happily ever after" kind of book, but that doesn't make the story any less entertaining. Oh, and high-end classic cars. Lots of them.
Sara
This book wasn’t all that great. It was about a middle aged man with too much money who lacks morals and has sex with anybody. He falls in love with his best friend’s wife and they have an affair and then he decides he wants to commit suicide. I didn’t see the point in this book. I got it from the library because the back said it was funny, but it really wasn’t.
Monique
Okay so finished another one and eh..cant say it was good or bad it just was..It told the story of two "best friends" and I use the term loosely and their lives together over the next twenty years as basically their entire relationship is dissected and you wonder if they ever really liked each other at all...The guys Roy and Sam have been in similar situations and in trouble together since youth and as they grow older and into themselves--Sam gets married but still spends irresponsibly, has the ...more
Swanbender2001
The book details this relationship between the best friends, Sam and Roy, and I was immediately wary of defining their relationship in any positive note. I believe competiveness can work well in a relationship but theirs was beyond being competitive and into something more hateful.
Kristin, Roy and Sam were not involved in a love triangle in the end but a hate triangle; using each other to get to the other. I left this book with a bad taste in my mouth, partly because I wanted a physical action b
Torimac
I've run out of time and must return it to the library. The dialect of the narration is difficult for me, too dry... stilted? But the story itself is intriguing. Well, actually, part of me suspects the story may be boring in the end, but the way it is being told is intriguing me. I have to confess though, I am skipping some paragraphs after the lead sentence, and only coming back when I think I missed something key to the story line. Actually, I've skipped about every other page so far....
Shari
Best Friends (June)
The story of Sam and Roger and their 20 year supposed friendship. The book doesn’t really say nice things about either man or their values. Roger starts an affair with Sam’s wife while Sam is in the hospital with heart failure. I read it to read it but did not enjoy it.
Sue
Author wrote many books. Not sure if I liked it. Sam and Roy are best friends. Kristin, Sam's wife, sleeps with Roy. The book jacket said the author is such a good writer. I think he jumps all over the place. The writing is not smooth or realistic.
Jean
This book is entertaining enough but I found the characters pretty shallow. It was sort of fun to learn a bit about antique cars and I loved the descriptions of food, being a foodie! Probably an okay "beach" book.
Julie
this book is one I randomly chose off the library shelves. Turns out I really liked it, and more than how much I liked the story, I liked the way Berger writes. Happy to have stumbled upon it.
Kimberly
You shouldn't label people you know, especially "best friend", which the author used to much to refer to Sam and Roy. I got it; they were as close as brothers. This book was annoying.
Geno
I liked this book and am interested in other novels by T Berger. Very slow start by the characters became a little more interesting toward the middle of the story.
Michele
Entertaining enough read. Yet, ugh! Two male characters that I cared not to know, fictional or not.
Kathy
Very well written. Only disappointing part was the end - a few too many holes left open.
Christopher
Dec 27, 2008 Christopher rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Berger completists
Shelves: fiction
Not Berger's best. A very long setup with a less than impressive punchline.
MEO
Not the best character development. A light read at best
Marguerite
Not believable, very disappointing, mercifully short.
Libbet
Jul 01, 2012 Libbet rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Meh. Not a single sympathetic character.
Marty D
Didn't get into the style. Boring.
Kamon
This book was predictable
Robyn
Robyn added it
Dec 16, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thomas Louis Berger is an American novelist. Probably best known for his picaresque novel Little Big Man and the subsequent film by Arthur Penn, Berger has explored and manipulated many genres of fiction throughout his career, including the crime novel, the hard-boiled detective story, science fiction, the utopian novel, plus re-workings of classical mythology, Arthurian legend, and the survival a ...more
More about Thomas Berger...
Little Big Man Arthur Rex Neighbors The Return of Little Big Man Sneaky People