Start by marking “Best Friends” as Want to Read:
Best Friends

Best Friends

Since childhood, Sam Grandy and Roy Courtright have been best friends. They grew up in the same prosperous community, went to the same prep school, and later entered the same university. After Sam's father died, Roy's father looked after him. At one point Sam dated Roy's sister, Robin. As best friends, they share a close and loving bond, often stronger than the relationshi
Published May 6th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Best Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Friends

Greg
Aug 18, 2008 Greg rated it it was ok
I have to admit - I was less than impressed. Berger's style was consistent with his other novel I read, "Meeting Evil," and it's just not compelling to me. His narration is fluid but thin; he seems to comment from 30,000 feet and his characters seem slightly lifeless and their motivations unclear. I actually thought the plot of this novel was intriguing and really wish it had been pulled off better. It was an extremely quick read, though, and if you're curious, it wouldn't take long to satisfy y ...more
Sara
Jan 31, 2009 Sara rated it did not like it
This book wasn’t all that great. It was about a middle aged man with too much money who lacks morals and has sex with anybody. He falls in love with his best friend’s wife and they have an affair and then he decides he wants to commit suicide. I didn’t see the point in this book. I got it from the library because the back said it was funny, but it really wasn’t.
Candice
Jan 11, 2011 Candice rated it liked it
Frenemies: the male version. Berger did a good job showing the complexities of friendships formed during childhood and maintained for life. Two stars for plot, four stars for characterization = three stars. This is not an "and they all lived happily ever after" kind of book, but that doesn't make the story any less entertaining. Oh, and high-end classic cars. Lots of them.
Monique
Okay so finished another one and eh..cant say it was good or bad it just was..It told the story of two "best friends" and I use the term loosely and their lives together over the next twenty years as basically their entire relationship is dissected and you wonder if they ever really liked each other at all...The guys Roy and Sam have been in similar situations and in trouble together since youth and as they grow older and into themselves--Sam gets married but still spends irresponsibly, has the ...more
Aaron Martz
Jun 15, 2016 Aaron Martz rated it it was ok
For a book just barely over 200 pages, Berger crams in maximum melodrama. Sudden tragic deaths, love affairs, betrayals, accusations. He does it in his usual eloquent manner; Hearing one of his books read aloud would make a piece of classical music. Unfortunately, Best Friends is soapy and uninteresting. What begins as the examination of the friendship between two otherwise polar opposite individuals - one a fat, wasteful sloth, the other a fit, spartan go-getter - becomes a predictable decent i ...more
Swanbender2001
Aug 05, 2009 Swanbender2001 rated it it was ok
The book details this relationship between the best friends, Sam and Roy, and I was immediately wary of defining their relationship in any positive note. I believe competiveness can work well in a relationship but theirs was beyond being competitive and into something more hateful.
Kristin, Roy and Sam were not involved in a love triangle in the end but a hate triangle; using each other to get to the other. I left this book with a bad taste in my mouth, partly because I wanted a physical action b
Torimac
Mar 31, 2011 Torimac rated it did not like it
Shelves: duds
I've run out of time and must return it to the library. The dialect of the narration is difficult for me, too dry... stilted? But the story itself is intriguing. Well, actually, part of me suspects the story may be boring in the end, but the way it is being told is intriguing me. I have to confess though, I am skipping some paragraphs after the lead sentence, and only coming back when I think I missed something key to the story line. Actually, I've skipped about every other page so far....
Shari
Aug 17, 2009 Shari rated it it was ok
Best Friends (June)
The story of Sam and Roger and their 20 year supposed friendship. The book doesn’t really say nice things about either man or their values. Roger starts an affair with Sam’s wife while Sam is in the hospital with heart failure. I read it to read it but did not enjoy it.
Jean
Jan 12, 2013 Jean rated it liked it
This book is entertaining enough but I found the characters pretty shallow. It was sort of fun to learn a bit about antique cars and I loved the descriptions of food, being a foodie! Probably an okay "beach" book.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 24, 2013 Sue Kozlowski rated it did not like it
Author wrote many books. Not sure if I liked it. Sam and Roy are best friends. Kristin, Sam's wife, sleeps with Roy. The book jacket said the author is such a good writer. I think he jumps all over the place. The writing is not smooth or realistic.
Michele
Dec 18, 2009 Michele rated it liked it
Entertaining enough read. Yet, ugh! Two male characters that I cared not to know, fictional or not.
Kimberly
Aug 23, 2010 Kimberly rated it did not like it
You shouldn't label people you know, especially "best friend", which the author used to much to refer to Sam and Roy. I got it; they were as close as brothers. This book was annoying.
Geno
Apr 26, 2010 Geno rated it liked it
I liked this book and am interested in other novels by T Berger. Very slow start by the characters became a little more interesting toward the middle of the story.
Julie
Jun 18, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
this book is one I randomly chose off the library shelves. Turns out I really liked it, and more than how much I liked the story, I liked the way Berger writes. Happy to have stumbled upon it.
Moshe
May 03, 2015 Moshe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've gotten this book twice now from the library. Maybe the cover photo caught my attention??

Started and didn't like it much either time.
Bill FromPA
Bill FromPA rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Margee
Margee rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2009
Molly
Molly rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2014
Warren
Warren rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Patrick Young
Patrick Young rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Kevin Armold
Kevin Armold rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Jaime
Jaime rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2011
James W.  Harris
James W. Harris rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2011
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2016
margaret
margaret rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2007
Dubi
Dubi rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Dragon at Noonday (Brothers of Gwynedd, #2)
  • M31: A Family Romance
  • The Greek Villa
  • Saint Julian
  • The Wedding Ceremony Planner: The Essential Guide to the Most Important Part of Your Wedding Day
  • A Student of Living Things
  • Handsome Harry
  • The Slightest Provocation
  • Gloriana's Torch (David Becket and Simon Ames, #3)
  • The Book of Happenstance
  • Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer: The Beauty Supply District
  • The Death of an Irish Sinner (Peter McGarr, #15)
  • Norumbega Park: A Novel
  • Laura Warholic or, the Sexual Intellectual
  • The Resurrectionists
  • Bogeyman
  • Loverboy
  • The Art of Love
Thomas Louis Berger is an American novelist. Probably best known for his picaresque novel Little Big Man and the subsequent film by Arthur Penn, Berger has explored and manipulated many genres of fiction throughout his career, including the crime novel, the hard-boiled detective story, science fiction, the utopian novel, plus re-workings of classical mythology, Arthurian legend, and the survival a ...more
More about Thomas Berger...