The Feud

The Feud

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Berger chronicles small-town America of the 1930s in his narrative of the feud between the Beelers of Hornbeck and the Bullards of Milville. A major film based on "The Feud" is to be released in the autumn of 1989.
Published September 1st 1989 by Little Brown & Co (P) (first published January 1st 1983)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverThe Corrections by Jonathan FranzenThe Things They Carried by Tim O'BrienHousekeeping by Marilynne RobinsonCloudsplitter by Russell Banks
Pulitzer Prize Finalists
66th out of 68 books — 43 voters
The Boy I Love by Marion HusbandThe Black Monk by Anton ChekhovThe Alexander Trilogy by Mary RenaultSex and Crime by Oliver MarkusMemories of the Future by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky
REALLY Seriously Underrated Books
120th out of 586 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Frank
In The Guardian this book was recently championed as a forgotten classic. On the strength of this review (and Tom Cox gives a fair assessment of the novel) I hunted out this hard to find book, and was not disappointed.

Although initially I was, a little. The prose is a little lacklustre. On the strength of this one book, I wouldn't recommend Berger for his writing style. His narrative, however, especially as you are caught up in its wheels after about a third of the way, is excellent. All the com...more
Thing Two
LOL funny! This Pulitzer nominated book of fiction starts off with a bang and keeps on going. Published in 1983, I've got to wonder if the author spent a lot of time watching The Andy Griffith Show. This is Mayberry on drugs - with the Hatfields and McCoys added just for fun. I will definitely look for more by Thomas Berger. Well done!
Seán
Dec 23, 2008 Seán rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
It's another effortless comedy in Berger's 30s mid-western dope-dialogue oeuvre. The book reads like a companion to Sneaky People and, as in that one, there's the easy assured voice that'll gladly take in the curious but doesn't abash the casual passerby.
Peter Weissman
I like Thomas Berger, a lot. He's a humorist, and a satirist, and a good one. It was my good fortune to be assigned this book to copyedit, and I can unequivocally say it was the best book I ever edited. But I do like some of his other books better.
Hannah Baker
This was very funny! Unfortunately it started to get pretty repetitive halfway through, and I could see where it was going. So I gave up and just read the ending. But, I enjoyed it and would recommend it!
Katie
I thought this book was pretty good. Flowed nicely and was an interesting take on the whole Hatfield and McCoy's feud. Worth a try.
Peter Delorenzo
Berger creates unique, quirky characters that are funny.
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Karen Hanlon
Karen Hanlon marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Herschmerz
Herschmerz marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
John Smith
John Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
John Kirby
John Kirby marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Matthewphilbrook
Matthewphilbrook marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Tessa
Tessa is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2014
Apollinisch
Apollinisch marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Lucythevaliant
Lucythevaliant marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Thomas Louis Berger is a U.S. novelist.

Berger was in Europe with the U.S. army, and then studied at the University of Cincinnati and at Columbia University. He worked as a librarian and a journalist before publishing his first novel, Crazy in Berlin, in 1958. Berger may be best known for the movie made from his novel Little Big Man, which starred Dustin Hoffman.

--------------------

Thomas Berger (n...more
More about Thomas Berger...
Little Big Man Arthur Rex Neighbors The Return of Little Big Man Sneaky People