Start by marking “The Feud” as Want to Read:
The Feud

The Feud

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Berger chronicles small-town America of the 1930s in his narrative of the feud between the Beelers of Hornbeck and the Bullards of Milville. A major film based on "The Feud" is to be released in the autumn of 1989.
Published September 1st 1989 by Little Brown & Co (P) (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Feud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feud

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverThe Things They Carried by Tim O'BrienThe Corrections by Jonathan FranzenThe Snow Child by Eowyn IveyThe Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
Pulitzer Prize Finalists
66th out of 68 books — 62 voters
The Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHis Family by Ernest Poole
Pulitzer Prizes - Novel/Fiction
158th out of 160 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon Recluse
A delightfully funny novel concerning feuding families, re: the Hatfields and the McCoys, that amply displays just how silly these things can be. Although set in the 1930s, the comedy is timeless, as the motives and machinations behind these neighborhood brouhahas never really change.

Highly recommended.
Pamela
Mayberry as told by Erskin Caldwell. This book is one of the best I've read in quite a while. The characters are brilliant, the writing is brilliant, the pacing, the plot--it's all brilliant. Berger is one of my favorites, and this THIS is the reason why.
Christopher Sutch
This 1983 novel won Berger the Pulitzer, though I'm not sure why. It's a fine novel: interesting characters, competently written. But that's also the problem with it: there is nothing very original about it, nothing that gives Berger's best works a special flavor or make them worthy of interest. Partly, for me, this comes from my lack of interest in the setting (1930s Ohio town life, much like his earlier novel _Sneaky People_). Also, though, there is little social satire or commentary in this w ...more
Frank
In The Guardian this book was recently championed as a forgotten classic. On the strength of this review (and Tom Cox gives a fair assessment of the novel) I hunted out this hard to find book, and was not disappointed.

Although initially I was, a little. The prose is a little lacklustre. On the strength of this one book, I wouldn't recommend Berger for his writing style. His narrative, however, especially as you are caught up in its wheels after about a third of the way, is excellent. All the com
Benjamin Kahn
I enjoyed this book, but it's hard for me to nail down why I liked it so much. It was a simple story, the characters all hovered on the edge of parody but didn't quite go over it. I was intrigued to see each twist and turn with all the characters and how their lives intersected. Just an fun, enjoyable read. You care about the characters and want to see how everything works out for them.
Sam
Has beautifully ugly dialect and dialogue. Period setting perhaps serves the same purpose as Coen Brothers' 'Big Lebowski' or Haneke's 'White Ribbon' - it's set in the past as commentary on something, not because the story dictates it be set in the past in any specific way.
Thing Two
LOL funny! This Pulitzer nominated book of fiction starts off with a bang and keeps on going. Published in 1983, I've got to wonder if the author spent a lot of time watching The Andy Griffith Show. This is Mayberry on drugs - with the Hatfields and McCoys added just for fun. I will definitely look for more by Thomas Berger. Well done!
Seán
Dec 23, 2008 Seán rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
It's another effortless comedy in Berger's 30s mid-western dope-dialogue oeuvre. The book reads like a companion to Sneaky People and, as in that one, there's the easy assured voice that'll gladly take in the curious but doesn't abash the casual passerby.
Peter Weissman
I like Thomas Berger, a lot. He's a humorist, and a satirist, and a good one. It was my good fortune to be assigned this book to copyedit, and I can unequivocally say it was the best book I ever edited. But I do like some of his other books better.
Hannah Baker
This was very funny! Unfortunately it started to get pretty repetitive halfway through, and I could see where it was going. So I gave up and just read the ending. But, I enjoyed it and would recommend it!
Katie
I thought this book was pretty good. Flowed nicely and was an interesting take on the whole Hatfield and McCoy's feud. Worth a try.
Peter Delorenzo
Berger creates unique, quirky characters that are funny.
Po Po
Po Po marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Mark Gervino
Mark Gervino marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Mike McDonough
Mike McDonough marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Ronny
Ronny marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2015
yap-yap-yap
yap-yap-yap marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Ivette
Ivette marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
  • Jernigan
  • Servants of the Map
  • John Henry Days
  • Love in Infant Monkeys
Thomas Louis Berger is an American novelist. Probably best known for his picaresque novel Little Big Man and the subsequent film by Arthur Penn, Berger has explored and manipulated many genres of fiction throughout his career, including the crime novel, the hard-boiled detective story, science fiction, the utopian novel, plus re-workings of classical mythology, Arthurian legend, and the survival a ...more
More about Thomas Berger...
Little Big Man Arthur Rex Neighbors The Return of Little Big Man Sneaky People