Start by marking “Fixing Broken Windows: Restoring Order And Reducing Crime In Our Communities” as Want to Read:
Fixing Broken Windows: Restoring Order And Reducing Crime In Our Communities

Fixing Broken Windows: Restoring Order And Reducing Crime In Our Communities

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
With stories of crime reduction in cities from New York to Seattle, Fixing Broken Windows demonstrates that controlling disorderly behavior is the key to preventing serious crimes. A convincing case for trying community policing and order maintenance . . . crime-control strategies that make sense.--Richmond Times Dispatch.
Published January 20th 1998 by Free Press (first published December 31st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Fixing Broken Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fixing Broken Windows

Emily
Apr 06, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
If you are interesting about policing strategies and urban street crime, this is definitly a book worth looking into. The book is written adressing the attempts at policing strategies based on the Broken Window Theory, a theory put forth encouraging law enforcement to be proactive in preventing crimes rather than being reactive to them. The book studies initiatives by major cities from New York to Chicago from the 1980s to mid 90s. The book has interesting conclusions about the successes and fai ...more
Rebecca
Dec 25, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
There are so many good things to say about this book, I hardly know where to start. I don't want to sound like I'm gushing, but I really don't feel like I could say enough here.

One of the most important things about the book is that it had three basic themes: where we were, where we are, and how to fix it. Most books like this that chronicle everything wrong with the current system end on that note: everything is wrong, everything is bad, it's not getting any better, woe is us, DOOOOM +3. Inste
Dean P.
Dec 27, 2008 Dean P. rated it did not like it
Recommended to Dean P. by: Joe
Shelves: stopped-reading
On one hand, this book has a lot to offer. It has information about urban neighborhoods, safety, crime, police patrols, and a plethora of other things that will help restore order and a sense of safety to communities. On the other hand...

The authors quite clearly have a dislike for "social disorder." They view homeless, prostitutes, those are drunk in public, etc as examples of "incivility, boorish and threatening behavior that disturbs life, especially urban life." They go on to advocate laws t
Emily
Jul 11, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good lessons about the evolution of policing theory. Lots of discussion about the caselaw on first amendment rights to solicit, how NYC 'won' the graffiti battle on the subway, etc.
Gina
Feb 10, 2010 Gina rated it it was ok
There is some really important information in here, but it is written in such a dry, tedious manner as to make it almost completely inaccessible for the layperson. Also, I think the emphasis on order could lead in the wrong direction. Maybe the real source of the benefit is the involvement and caring--the buy-in from community members, rather than how strictly order laws are enforced.
E
May 25, 2007 E added it
Shelves: tofinish
i had really high expectations for this book and thought it would help me in my understanding of being part of the gentrificational force in a community. so far it reads like a terrible written textbook. let's see if it gets better.

edit: i feel stuck. i may just have to skim through...
Michael
For how expertise the authors have in curbing crime, this is a very important book. The writing itself is a bit boring and repetitive, though, and it wasn't the sort of book that drove you to finish it.
Jason
Jul 11, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
This is an excellent example of a crime control model which can be just as successful when applied to community policing programs as it can be for counter-insurgency operations.
Kaitlin
Aug 17, 2008 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
great book that portays criminal intent and action from a sociological level. this doesn't erase the crime but provides a different view, which at times, scarily, makes sense
Laura Clark
Dec 05, 2010 Laura Clark rated it liked it
way old promotional book - pretty good for it's day.
Ja
Jul 10, 2012 Ja rated it liked it
A great approach to public safety.
Yusuf Pratama
Dec 27, 2012 Yusuf Pratama rated it it was amazing
the great ever book in this world!
Alexis Chávez
Alexis Chávez marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
GB
GB marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Gabriel Schammah
Gabriel Schammah marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Janxiao
Janxiao marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Ross Burrell
Ross Burrell marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Cm3wong
Cm3wong marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Xandraa
Xandraa marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Dougr
Dougr marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Lauren Anzaldo
Lauren Anzaldo rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Daniela Bullard
Daniela Bullard marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Thiago Mobilon
Thiago Mobilon marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
duyenngoc.auth
duyenngoc.auth marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015