Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5)

Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  5,541 ratings  ·  66 reviews
V.I. Warshawski isn't crazy about going back to her old south Chicago neighborhood, but a promise is something she always keeps. Caroline, a childhood friend, has a dying mother and a problem -- after twenty-five years she wants V.I. to find the father she never knew. But when V.I. starts probing into the past, she not only finds out where all the bodies are buried -- she...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 1st 1989 by Dell (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Shot

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieOne for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Best Detective/Mystery Series
263rd out of 1,189 books — 1,396 voters
A Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingMatilda by Roald DahlThe Queen of the Damned by Anne RiceThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoFoucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Best Books of 1988
54th out of 127 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

aPriL purrs 'n hisses
Wow.

This is one THRILLING book! I couldn't put it down! V.I. Warshawski faces her most PTSD-inducing case in the series so far and manages to dig up a lot of information on her own past, both of which promise to give her nightmares for a long time.

V.I. would rather drive into hell than go back to her old Chicago neighborhood, but a pleading request from a childhood friend, Carolyn Djiak, during a charity basketball game for her old high school forces her to submit to her conscience and give in...more
Mary JL
Dec 28, 2009 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries/private detective novels
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am familiar with the series
Shelves: mystery-horror
This is one of the earleir V. I. Warshawski novels by Sara Paretsky. It is quite good and a good example of the quality of her series.

One reason I liked this better than some of the books is that Vic is drawn book to her roots in the old South Chicago neighborhood she was raised in. Now, she is seeing the past through adult eyes.

Caroline, a family friend since Vic was eleven years old, has asked her to find out who her father was. Her mother was a single parent, and never revealed it to her daug...more
Larry Bassett
When I started this book, I didn’t understand how much I wanted a read that rose to five stars. Blood Shot doesn’t rise to the level of great classical literature but it served my needs better than I could have hoped. Lots of action requiring suspension of disbelief led to a conclusion worthy of a graphic comic book. After I finished the book, I looked at the GR ratings and reviews. Of 2700 GR ratings, only seven have given this book only one star. On the other hand, two-thirds have given it fou...more
Jean Poulos
Blood shot is book five in the Sara Paretsky’s V. I. Warshawski series. V.I. is an attorney turned private investigator in Chicago. In this book Paretsky gives us a tour of Chicago with all the sights, sounds, smells and history of Chicago’s South side. This book was written in 1989 when computers were just starting to be common place but cell phones were rare and expensive. V.I. is hunting for phone booths while searching for change and is using a word processor in her office. Vic returns to th...more
Jessica
One of my favorite things about this series is the way it shines light on crime with a financial element. To my economic-rationalist mind, it's a great relief to read a mystery where the motive isn't that the perp is crazy and/or sexually deranged.
Sue
Mar 14, 2010 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Paretsky entices the reader in and keeps the hold on till the end. Even though this book was written in the 1980's, it is still an excellent and gripping read.
Margie
Much better crime fiction than anything I've read by men. Believable characters, well-written.
Yvann S
"I felt a little prickling along the base of my neck, that primitive adrenaline jolt that lets you know you're getting close to the saber-toothed tiger"

Sara Paretsky's veteran private investigator, V. I. Warshawski, is summoned to her childhood suburbs in this family/industrial mystery, in which the kid next door wants Vic to find her father. Vic stumbles onto a industrial negligence cover-up, and as usual, is shortly on the trial of the bad guys...

As usual, there is a decent sized cast as Vic b...more
La Biblioteca
Libro decisamente datato (metà degli anni '80, pubblicato in Italia a inizio anni '90) non mi ha esaltato, ma non l'ho trovato neanche brutto.

La trama è complicatissima. In una Chicago Sud degli anni '70 che sembra in un altro mondo rispetto alal parte nord della città, Victoria deve indagare su chi aveva messo incinta la madre 25 anni prima. Da quella che sembra una ricerca semplice, si dipana una storia che prevede corruzione politica, inquinamento ambientale, mafia, assicurazioni sulla salute...more
Rugg Ruggedo
Out of the few detective books I read this is my favorite series. I really like everything I read,but the character here gives this series the edge. I just like V.I. This book takes us to her past, and all the things she is trying not to think about or remember, but they are also all the things that make her who she is. Politics, and power in Chicago. It seems like an obvious choice,we've all heard of Mayor Dailey, and Paretsky doesnt pull any punches.
This series is a re-read for me. I read mos...more
Anna
Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski rarely shies away from doing something just because she would rather not do it. Now she has returned reluctantly to her childhood streets of South Chicago to participate in a reunion match for her high school basketball team. Ensnared both by a manipulative lifelong friend and her own mixed feelings about her escape from the shadows of the South Side's dying steel mills, V.I. finds herself agreeing to look for a missing father. Soon she is slogging through toxic m...more
Kathleen Dixon
Aren’t holiday weekends wonderful for leisure reading?! I sat in the sunshine in the little courtyard out the back of our motel unit in Opotiki – with a glass of wine and a Sudoku book for alternating with this – and read the second in this volume.

V.I. and Caroline Djiak go way back – all the way back to their rough-and-tumble girlhoods in grimy South Chicago – so when Caroline comes begging for a favour, V.I. cannot refuse. No sooner does V.I. get on the case than she discovers that the chemica...more
Avid Reader
Tough detective VI is tough. She remembers her mum: loving, but tough. She remembers her neighbour: flighty, but tough. She leans on her Dr friend Lotty: caring, but tough. She meets an elderly lady: unfulfilled, but tough. Tough women are tough. In a tough town. That's the theme of the book. It's one note, over 399 pages. Possibly, if there'd been less authorial focus on being tough, the book could be a little shorter. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Do you think I may be mistaken? I'm not:
"She h...more
Fifth entry in a mystery series occurring in Chicago in the 1980s. Loved seeing the protagonist complain about the clubs and hearing about locations and conditions that no longer occur in the Loop.

While some plot devices are now irrelevant, a person leaving two messages with your answering service, which you don't receive until after they are dead; the story itself kept me reading nonstop. I almost broke the cardinal rule of kindle reading and skipped ahead to the end, so I could taste the cup o...more
Gary Smith
Paretsky has V.I. Dunking a basketball in a game while in High School and again as an adult. Women basketball players did not dunk in that era and did not do so until relatively recently. It doesn't really matter in the story but does need mentioning.
Rachel
have read the beginning, the end and feel glad I didn't stick it out for the middle. It's too much like Sue Grafton's Kinsey in a way except this one swears and drinks more. There's an elderly neightbour who cooks for her and a substitute parent who is a Doctor and so on....it reads like Kinsey's big sis.

I also think it's pretty apparent that this is a subsequent book in a number of the series, and that the relationships between characters have probably gradually developed so feel a bit out of s...more
Victoria
I'm enjoying this series---I think it will be my summer project. And I adore Mr. Contreras.
Tink
Engaging story, but the incessant angry interactions among the characters is annoying.
Andy Blundell
V.I returns to her childhood Chicago for a reunion of her college basketball team. While she is there she is asked by an old neighbour, whose mother raised her alone, to find out who her father was. V.I's investigations trigger an unexpected reaction and she must try to figure out what is behind it all.

Enjoyable page turner with like-able characters. Only criticism is that the true reason behind these goings on is obvious to the reader about a third of the way in and it doesn't really make sense...more
Mike Calhoon
VI#5: Don't remember much. Finding person's father from old neighborhood
Rog Harrison
Back in the 1980s I started reading novels about female detectives by writers such as Sue Grafton, Marcia Muller and Sara Paretsky. My favourite character was V I Warshawski as she was irritable but really resilient. This is the second time I have read this though I think the first time I read it the title was Toxic Shock. Some terrible things happen to Warshawski but she survives them all and uncovers s horrible crime which she had not actually been investigating. I think I will try and re-read...more
Sara
Any V.I. is good V.I. as far as I'm concerned, but for some reason this one left me a trifle unsatisfied. It may be because she seemed to be having the same conversations with Lotty, Mr. Contreras and all other important people in her life that she'd had before. Of course, stubborn hardheadedness is part of V.I.'s charm.

Anyway, enjoying this in-order experience of Paretsky's books, although I've yet to hit one I ever remember reading before!
Chris
I liked the book. Not a favorite of mine, but that has more to do with the writing style than the story. A little hard to follow at points. Sort of choppy in the middle that wraps up fairly smoothly in the end. With characters to cheer for and against, a determined, no-nonsense, take no bull investigator and justified ending to a shark, hook, line and sinker, I would recommend this book.
Katherine Clark
It probably should be higher, but I really hate Carolyn. This is me being ridiculous, but it hurt the book for me, esp. the end. But I love that the dog gets featured, and, well, I love Paretsky. And it is interesting how often this book of hers, which was written over 20 years) kept coming up at the PCA conference in Boston. It is still an important environmental mystery.
Alan
V.I. is still one of the most annoying fictional detectives ever written Brusque, pig-headed, ungrateful,self-destructive she continually puts herself in harms way to prove that she needs no one in her search for justice or is it validation. This is not one of the better stories in the series, the situations and characters are too caricatured to believe.
JoTownhead
VI digs deep in the murky world of Chicago South Side politics and big business sharp practice. All her tenacity and powers of detection are required to uncover the necessary truths and achieve some measure of justice - and once again her personal safety and that of close associates is at risk. Really good story-telling.
Ann
Moving forward in time as I catch up with the series, I am struck by Vic's strength of character and stubbornness even more so in this installment. The story revealed more of the underbelly of Chicago than in some of the series; but greed knows no bounds, just don't get in the sights of V.I. or watch out!
Laura Rittenhouse
Good mystery book. Warshawski is an intelligent PI, independent but not too much a crazy lone wolf to be irritating. In this one she is asked to help find the natural father of a childhood friend. By the end she's taken on mobs, politicians and corporate tycoons. Fast paced and never silly.
Sharon
This was probably one of the first of her novels I read. I had read a lot of "Spenser" by this time, and it was fun to read the genre with a female heroine. The author's love for the city of Chicago shines through her writing, and the conflict between the old and new cities is very well-drawn.
Sara
I don't like all the flip dialogue of the detective character, much of this book was over the top for me. A dying woman's daughter wants to find out who her father was, who got her mother pregnant. Lots of drama, lots of 'maybe' then the ending. Can't recommend this one.
Toxic Shock 2 12 Nov 19, 2012 11:51PM
  • The Broken Promise Land (Sharon McCone, #17)
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Chance (Spenser, #23)
Sara Paretsky is a modern American author of detective fiction. Paretsky was raised in Kansas, and graduated from the state university with a degree in political science. She did community service work on the south side of Chicago in 1966 and returned in 1968 to work there. She ultimately completed a Ph.D. in history at the University of Chicago, entitled The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New E...more
More about Sara Paretsky...
Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski, #1) Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14) Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9) Fire Sale (V.I. Warshawski, #12) Hardball (V.I. Warshawski, #13)