Start by marking “Windy City Blues” as Want to Read:
Windy City Blues

Windy City Blues (V.I. Warshawski)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,286 ratings  ·  65 reviews
It's strictly Friends & Family as V.I. Warshawski, "the detective mystery fans have been waiting for" (Time), makes return appearances in a collection of stories that bring new meaning to "ties that bind."Decked out in her silk shirts and no-nonsense Attitude, V.I. is out to make a living--by the skin of her teeth.

In "Grace Notes," V.I. has barely finished her morning
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 2nd 1996 by Dell (first published 1995)

The Golden Compass by Philip PullmanWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Reader by Bernhard SchlinkHigh Fidelity by Nick HornbyBlindness by José Saramago
Best Books of 1995
200th out of 206 books — 86 voters
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCosmos by Carl SaganContact by Carl SaganPortnoy's Complaint by Philip RothThe Studs Terkel Reader by Studs Terkel
Books by University of Chicago Alumni
50th out of 151 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Larry Bassett
The V.I. Warshawski series has reached its sixteenth book in 2013 and I have read all but this most recent book in the running series. It has not been out long enough to be on the ninety-nine cent list yet so I am waiting! And, while I wait, catching up on this 1995 book of short stories seems like one way to while away the time.

The Paretsky books have gotten progressively longer as the series has developed. This, in my opinion, has not lead to an improvement in the stories or the writing. It ju
Johnny
Very few books of short stories make it to my list because I don’t read a lot of anthologies. I picked up Windy City Blues because I had enjoyed other books by Sara Paretsky and thought her female private eye and erstwhile attorney, V. I. Warshawski, made for good reading. These stories didn’t disappoint. At times, they felt too short and, at times, I could sense exactly why they made better stories than novels. I suppose the collection has the added advantage that I already know the protagonist ...more
Cupcakencorset
Short stories involving V.I. Warshawski. The first one (the longest) was pretty good, but the shorter ones were unsatisfying overall. (Why, yes, I DO like big books, and I cannot lie... about it. Why do you ask?)
aPriL eVoLvEs
Lets just say as a fan of the character V. I. Warshawski it would be ok to not pick up this set of short stories about her. This book does not add anything to her storyline. These mysteries are a nice way to pass the time if you simply want a small quick read between doing things. However, they do not showcase Warshawski's customary wit, although she quickly solves nine crimes pissing off everyone as usual, including cranky clients, along with the friends we have become familiar with through Par ...more
Megan
to be reviewed

This set of short stories focuses on private investigator V.I. Warshawski's friends and family. While I'm just starting this series, I felt like this was a great introduction to the recurring characters who definitely seem like they'll be fun to get to know as I read more. Several of the stories in this collection blended the past and present into the cases that V.I. was working on, and also had an art angle, which I enjoyed. If I had to pick my favorites, I'd go with "The Maltese
Harley
Sep 19, 2010 Harley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of V.I. Warshawski
I am a Sara Paretsky fan so I picked up this book both with excitement and concern. Excitement because I love the character of V.I. Warshawski. Concerned because it was a collection of short stories. I like my Warshawski in large doses. It is fun to be inside her mind and watch her as she solves the crime. What the crime is usually doesn't matter. It is the character and her opinions that I enjoy.

And I must say that most of these stories succeed. The least successful for me was The Pietro Androm
Rita
1995. Good stories, Enjoyable to read. Seemed like most were plots that could potentially have been fleshed out to become full-size mysteries. But why not just keep them short, sure!
The best part was the introduction, "A Walk on the Wild Side"
telling about far-south and southeast Chicago where the [former] steel mills are, city dump and landfills and so on. Part of the landfills are on top of a [former] marsh, very little of which is still visible. Apparently the whole place is an armpit, terrib
Margaret McCamant
Lovely to read a book of short stories about V.I. Warshawski. I've read all but the three most recent V.I. books (and two of them are Christmas gifts, waiting to be read), so it's fun to read these stories that were written at various points during the series. In the foreword, Sara Paretsky talks about why she writes short stories: "when I am trying to understand a question that doesn't seem to merit a whole novel." I'm intrigued by the idea that her writing a novel is a way of figuring somethin ...more
Dave Kramer
This was another audiobook that I enjoyed while doing a bit of driving. Jean Smart has a wonderful voice for this character. This is a collection of three longish short stories (not quite novellas) that were interesting but not drastically unpredictable. Fun and diverting.

Rhonda
This 10th V.I. Warshawski book is a collection of short stories. Some of the other characters and friends take more of a role in these stories.

In "Grace Notes", V.I. meets an Italian cousin that may want to meet family and may want something else. In "Pietro Andromache", Dr. Lotte Hershold, VI's old friend is accused of murder over an old, sentimental artifact. "At the Swimming Hole" has VI helping an old friend at a swim meet, where she witnesses a murder. In "The Takamoku Joseki" VI had to re
Wanda Sabin
love v.i. nice read not alot of meat and potatoes but entertaining. can read it as a standalone doesnt add to her v.i. series which is very entertaining.
Erica Hudson
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Alan
These short stories can only be characterized as mildly entertaining to embarrassing. Plus there are several minor mistakes that a proof reader should have caught.
Debi
This is part of a series on a female detective in Chicago named V.I. Warshawski. This was different than the other books in that it was a collection of short stories rather than one story. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but these were pretty good. The series is told from V.I.'s perspective in the first person. All but one of the short stories were told this way. I found it interesting that one of the short stories was told in the third person. It was neat to get a different perspective on ...more
Arwen Fowler-jonsson
Wow that was an hour and a half of horrible short stories and I will never get that time back..lolol
Jessica
I enjoyed this collection of Sara Paretsky short mysteries from the first 12 years of her detective's career. If you've never read any V.I. Warshawski books, this is a good introduction to the tough private eye from the South Side of Chicago. I still enjoy Paretsky's books but some of her more recent novels are so political that it detracts from the story. In the earlier days, V.I. was smart and never pulled a punch, and these stories made me want to reread some of the earlier novels. Recommende ...more
Bill Donhiser
A collection of V.I. Warshawski stories. Entertaining and fun good time passer.
Susan
A couple of the stories were exceptional! The reader was terrific also.
Kevin Bachovchin
Short story collection.
Karen
I found this to be a really fun collection of Paretsky's works.
Perfect for a summers day. Quick, easy, well written.
Rog Harrison
This is the second time I have read this. This is a collection of nine short stories written between 1982 and 1995. I confess that I am not a fan of short stories featuring detectives (even Conan Doyle produced many unsatisfying short stories about Sherlock Holmes) but I do like VI. In this collection I enjoyed two of the stories but found the rest routine. Having said that, it is still worth a read and the final story "Grace notes" tells us more about VI's background.
Donna
You know, this is a good selection of short stories. I think that I have gotten so hooked on the full length V.I. Warshawski novel, with its gritty urban setting and pulse-pounding plots, all the while managing to develop the protagonist w/o sacrificing pace or storyline, that this left me feeling...still hungry.

If this were a breakout artist, I'd think they were a phenomenon, but have read enough of Paretsky's work that I hold her to a higher standard.
Josh
Liked it, but not as much as her full novels. The short story format isn't as interesting for me with V.I. Warshawski cases. I like the depth the novels go into the details, the motivations, the descriptiveness of Chicago, etc. There's just not enough room in a short for it, and the cases are a little too straightforward for me. Still, not bad and some of the stories do fill in a little bit around the edges for V.I. and some of the recurring cast.
Dennis
Readers of detective novels may be familiar with Detective V.I. Warshawski, created by Sara Paretsky, the heroine of many novels, set in Chicago. This book was a collection of nine stories. Whereas some short story collections, usually by different authors, can disappoint, some good, some not so, this collection was delightfully diverse. Unusual stories, diverse characters, and an Italian-speaking detective all make for a good summer read.
Bea
This is the first Sara Paretsky book that I have read. It is a collection of stories featuring V I Warshawski, a female private eye. Some of the stories were well-developed with multiple interesting characters and with a primary and secondary plot lines. Others were small vignettes that left me wishing for more. Overall, I liked this intro to V I Warshawski and will definitely read more books featuring her as a character.
Marti
usually i don't care for short stories--i'd rather invest my time in a longer piece of fiction--but v.i.warshaski is a character i've read about a lot before, so that made it okay. it is strange, i didn't find lotty herschel's companion, max loewenthal quite as likeable in the story where he appeared.

this would be great for someone with limited time to read, or a short attention span.
J. Ewbank
Though I usually do not like to read short stories, these short stories are good. They are good in part due to the character in them, V.I. Warshawski. She is the glue that holds them together and creates our interest in seeing what she has gotten herself into again and again. A great read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Bandit
I've read some of V.I. Warshawski novels ages ago, they were never really my thing, I ended up trading them in. These short stories all featuring V.I. were better than novels, I think, not great, but fairly entertaining. My favorite was the 2nd one, told from a different perspective of one of the books' recurring characters. It was a very quick read too.
Surreysmum
A collection of V.I. Warshawski stories, set at various points in her history, but that's not too jarring since she's firmly Chicago-based at all times. In fact, that (rather than details of plot or character) is actually the main impression that lingers from this and other Paretsky books - her enormous love of Chicago as a place.

A good plane read.
Stacy
I picked this book up at a library sale. I had wanted to check out Sara Paretsky and didn't spend enough time to read the cover and realize it was a collection of short stories. That's generally not my favorite genre. However, having said that, I did enjoy them and should plan to read another Paretsky book in the future.
Short Stories 1 6 Nov 16, 2008 11:54AM
  • Both Ends of the Night
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
Sara Paretsky is a modern American author of detective fiction. Paretsky was raised in Kansas, and graduated from the state university with a degree in political science. She did community service work on the south side of Chicago in 1966 and returned in 1968 to work there. She ultimately completed a Ph.D. in history at the University of Chicago, entitled The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New E ...more
More about Sara Paretsky...

V.I. Warshawski (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski, #1)
  • Deadlock (V.I. Warshawski, #2)
  • Killing Orders (V.I. Warshawski, #3)
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5)
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • Guardian Angel (V.I. Warshawski, #7)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
  • Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9)
  • Total Recall (V.I. Warshawski, #10)
Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski, #1) Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5) Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14) Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9) Fire Sale (V.I. Warshawski, #12)