Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Batman” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Batman

The Further Adventures of Batman (The Further Adventures of Batman #1)

“Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so I must wear a disguise that will strike terror into their hearts! I must be a creature of the night, like a . . . a . . . a bat!”
—Bruce Wayne

It began with those words fifty years ago, a crusade that would grow into a legend. Orphaned as a child, his parents murdered before his eyes, millionaire Bruce Wayne dedicated his life
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published June 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Batman

Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
224th out of 374 books — 699 voters
Fallout by Gwenda BondDouble Down by Gwenda BondBlack Widow by Margaret StohlThe Further Adventures of The Joker by Martin H. GreenbergThe Supergirls by Mike Madrid
Books with Comic Book Heroes
28th out of 45 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Dovile
Feb 07, 2013 Dovile rated it it was ok
This collection of 14 stories will have something for every kind of Batman fan, from those who prefer them dark and gothic to those who enjoyed the cheesy comics and TV series of the 60s and 70s:

1) 'Death of the Dreammaster' by Robert Sheckley (Bruce Wayne starts seeing his dead enemies alive and must uncover if they're real or not) - apart form a very shocking and gruesome first scene, this story is mostly OK, well written, but nothing exceptional.

2) 'Bats' by Henry Slesar (after Robin's death,
Andrew
Mar 14, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This book caught my eye – 14 authors from “traditional” publishing backgrounds tackle the subject of The Batman, including ones I was already familiar with: Max Allan Collins, Stuart Kaminsky, and Isaac Asimov.

Unfortunately, as I read through the book, I found it to be like most anthologies – some stories are excellent and really appeal to me, while others make me feel like my time would have been more productively spent watching butterflies flutter in a meadow.

Let's look at Bats, by Henry Sles
Brian Martinez
Apr 09, 2011 Brian Martinez rated it liked it
I read this when I was younger and I remember a few of the stories making an impression on me. I recently bought a used copy to check it out again and it's been fun revisiting the material. The one that always stood out to me the most was the one written in screenplay form, which was an interesting choice and the first time I was exposed to that format of writing.
Jon
Oct 12, 2014 Jon rated it it was ok
I dug this old collection out with nostalgia coursing through my soul. Some things are better left in childhood.

This is a miserable collection of stories. Most are just prose versions of an average Batman comic circa 1972, cheesy and shallow and owing as much to the campy tv show as anything else. The few stories that try to do something different don't really work either, like Isaac Asimov's "Northwestward," an interesting take on a "real life" Bruce Wayne that ends on a confusing and indiffe
Chad Van deren
Nov 20, 2015 Chad Van deren rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but overall mostly forgettable. I'm a big Batman fan so I enjoyed all of the stories in this collection (certainly some more than others). There seem to be a concentrated effort on the writers to shy away from the major villains. The Joker makes a few appearances (one as a side character, another as the main villain). Some readers may find this as a positive. I found that the stories I enjoyed the most were the small, quirky ones. Neutral Ground, The Batman Memos, Northwestward, and I ...more
Jacqueline O.
This is an anthology by the king of genre anthologies, Martin H. Greenberg, as such - some of the stories are quite good, others are so-so, and one was really pointless. This collection of fourteen stories has a disappointing line-up of authors.

I also found this book in a box of old paperbacks of mine - and it dates from 1989, and man does it show. Computers built with vacuum tubes and operated with punch cards? It's unfamthomable! And Batman's tech should be slightly futuristic not hopelessly o
Water
Feb 15, 2015 Water rated it liked it
Shelves: tie-ins, batman
Some of the stories in this collection are actually a pretty good read, but most of them are fairly sub-par.

Still, the collection provides an amusing enough read, if the awkward prose for some stories can be overlooked. A couple of the stories feel out of place, such as "Idol" or "Northwestward" which don't help the book any.

For the most part, characterization is pretty good from most of the authors; Dick Grayson reads particularly reminiscent of his Animated Series self, despite these stories h
Kay
Jan 06, 2015 Kay rated it liked it
With such a mix of stories there's definitely going to be ones that appeal to some but not others. More than half I liked though and it was worth getting it second hand
Beau Johnston
Mar 02, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, fantasy
This is a fantastic collection of short stories. Your Batman library isn't complete if you don't have a copy. Neutral Ground was my favorite.
Dan Thomas
Nov 21, 2014 Dan Thomas rated it it was ok
An instantly forgettable bunch of stories which simply fail to honour the character. Some start off promisingly but descend into dreck, others are non-starters.

The best story here, "The Batman Memos" is a novel approach to telling a Batman story, and while it's compelling throughout even this entry fails to stick the landing.

As an Asimov fan, I was disappointed that his contribution is cribbed from an old pulp crime anthology and really only a Batman story by a technicality. I suspect his "Nort
Rubin Carpenter
Jun 23, 2015 Rubin Carpenter rated it it was amazing
READ THIS YEARS AGO LOVE TO FIND A COPY
Brian
Dec 04, 2013 Brian rated it it was ok
I love Batman. I love science fiction. I really thought this would be a great read. I mean, How can you go wrong with some of the best science fiction writers writing short stories about this awesome character? Obviously some of these writers should stick with what they know best and leave comic characters to the experts. Not that it was a bad book. Just had some dull stories that did nothing for the character. Surprisingly, the best shorts stories actually centered around Robin. I can't say tha ...more
Shaun
Jan 17, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it
Fourteen fun stories portraying the adventures of the Dark Knight from the forties to the late eighties. Each author takes a different spin on Batman from the campy Adam West Batman to a brooding Batman of the eighties after the second Robin's death. I liked each story and I highly suggest this collection to any Batman fan.
Bernard
Sep 05, 2015 Bernard rated it it was ok
Pretty poor; even as a Batman fan I had real difficulty finishing it.

Andrew Bates
Aug 28, 2012 Andrew Bates rated it liked it
It was oh kay. Some of the stories were really good, especially the ones with Robin. A lot of the writers seem unfamiliar with the mythos, and to a certain extent if you are more familiar with the mythos than they are, you might find some of the more blunt commentary annoying--he's not a superhero! He's super prepared, except when he's surprised! His parents are dead! Etcetera. But generally, it's probably worth it. I didn't like Isaac Asimov's story when I first read it. Now that I've thought a ...more
Rob
Jul 19, 2008 Rob rated it liked it
I've been looking for this book forever. I have only a vague memory of the stories contained within. I must have purchased this sometime around when it came out, making me ten or eleven. I think I purchased it at a pharmacy. I remember an extremely dark and gruesome story with the Joker. The reading was a little difficult for me at that time. Actually, I remember something about his body, the Joker's, being crushed in gears and cogs? Now that I've found the book's proper title, I will read it ag ...more
Exanimis
Aug 28, 2016 Exanimis rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2016
Fun short stories about Batman that remind me of the campy 60's television show. An enjoyable read for Batman fans of all ages.
Brian
Jan 19, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-challenge
I had this book as a kid, and I read it to death. I enjoyed parts of it as much as I did back then, but like any anthology, The Further Adventures of Batman is uneven.
Larry Kenney
Oct 02, 2012 Larry Kenney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero-novels
I read this as a kid, and absolutely loved it. I was at a flee market right after college and came across the book again and snapped it right up. I enjoyed the stories just as much the second time. I love the dark and brutal Batman world that is portrayed in a lot of the stories. The story with Spring Heeled Jack is still one of my favorite short stories as well...
Seth Kenlon
Oct 19, 2012 Seth Kenlon rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of short stories about Batman, each by a different author, with a different spin. It's an excellent volume, filled with a great variety of stories that you can read in one sitting each. Highly recommended if you're at all interested in Batman, or want to be interested in Batman.
Erik
Mar 24, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it
I remember this book being really good, and very dark in some spots. The list of authors included is pretty eclectic, including a Batman story penned by the most prolific non-fiction science author of all time, Isaac Asimov. Talk about two of my favorite things rolled into one.
Sarah Sammis
Jul 19, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
It's a nice mixture of story telling styles and "eras" of Batman. One of my favorites in the group is the first story in the book as it thinks through all the work Bruce Wayne must go through to keep his separate identities apart.
Travis
Sep 07, 2008 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book-books
Wildly uneven, The good stories are very good, the rest pretty blah.
The one set in 30's Hollywood was very clever.

Most of the writers seemed to have trouble with translating Batman from comics to prose.
Matt
Oct 23, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: lounge
A random assortment of short stories about Batman. As with most short story compilations with various authors involved, it is hit and miss. Some were well told while others had me bored.
Mark
Sep 27, 2015 Mark rated it it was ok
Couldn't get through it. Very boring.
Butterflykatana
Jan 27, 2012 Butterflykatana rated it liked it
Read this shortly after it hit the shelfs and loved the story's the Origin of the batmobile was the story that got me.
Loren Toddy
Jul 08, 2013 Loren Toddy rated it really liked it
Great stories and who knew that so many good writers could spin a great Batman story.
Chris
Feb 23, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
Issac Asimov's short is the best.
Chris
Sep 01, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Worth reading.
Louis
Louis rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
  • DC Universe: Inheritance
  • Justice League of America/Batman: The Stone King
  • BATMAN: Gotham Knight
  • Batman: The Ultimate Evil
  • DC Universe: Helltown (Dc Universe)
  • Wonder Woman: Mythos
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • The Big Book of Adventure Stories
  • Batman: The World of the Dark Knight
  • Batman: Vampire
  • Justice League of America Superman: The Never-Ending Battle
  • Superman, Last Son of Krypton
  • The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...

The Further Adventures of Batman (6 books)
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker