Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Batman” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Batman

The Further Adventures of Batman (The Further Adventures of Batman #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  27 reviews
“Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so I must wear a disguise that will strike terror into their hearts! I must be a creature of the night, like a . . . a . . . a bat!”
—Bruce Wayne

It began with those words fifty years ago, a crusade that would grow into a legend. Orphaned as a child, his parents murdered before his eyes, millionaire Bruce Wayne dedicated his life
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published June 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Batman

Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
205th out of 342 books — 593 voters
Cat-Tales Book 4 by Chris DeeCat-Tales Book 5 by Chris DeeThe Forensic Files of Batman by Doug MoenchBatman by Dennis O'NeilCat-Tales Book 3 by Chris Dee
Batman Prose Stories
12th out of 17 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

This collection of 14 stories will have something for every kind of Batman fan, from those who prefer them dark and gothic to those who enjoyed the cheesy comics and TV series of the 60s and 70s:

1) 'Death of the Dreammaster' by Robert Sheckley (Bruce Wayne starts seeing his dead enemies alive and must uncover if they're real or not) - apart form a very shocking and gruesome first scene, this story is mostly OK, well written, but nothing exceptional.

2) 'Bats' by Henry Slesar (after Robin's death,
This book caught my eye – 14 authors from “traditional” publishing backgrounds tackle the subject of The Batman, including ones I was already familiar with: Max Allan Collins, Stuart Kaminsky, and Isaac Asimov.

Unfortunately, as I read through the book, I found it to be like most anthologies – some stories are excellent and really appeal to me, while others make me feel like my time would have been more productively spent watching butterflies flutter in a meadow.

Let's look at Bats, by Henry Sles
Brian Martinez
I read this when I was younger and I remember a few of the stories making an impression on me. I recently bought a used copy to check it out again and it's been fun revisiting the material. The one that always stood out to me the most was the one written in screenplay form, which was an interesting choice and the first time I was exposed to that format of writing.
I dug this old collection out with nostalgia coursing through my soul. Some things are better left in childhood.

This is a miserable collection of stories. Most are just prose versions of an average Batman comic circa 1972, cheesy and shallow and owing as much to the campy tv show as anything else. The few stories that try to do something different don't really work either, like Isaac Asimov's "Northwestward," an interesting take on a "real life" Bruce Wayne that ends on a confusing and indiffe
Jacqueline O.
This is an anthology by the king of genre anthologies, Martin H. Greenberg, as such - some of the stories are quite good, others are so-so, and one was really pointless. This collection of fourteen stories has a disappointing line-up of authors.

I also found this book in a box of old paperbacks of mine - and it dates from 1989, and man does it show. Computers built with vacuum tubes and operated with punch cards? It's unfamthomable! And Batman's tech should be slightly futuristic not hopelessly o
Some of the stories in this collection are actually a pretty good read, but most of them are fairly sub-par.

Still, the collection provides an amusing enough read, if the awkward prose for some stories can be overlooked. A couple of the stories feel out of place, such as "Idol" or "Northwestward" which don't help the book any.

For the most part, characterization is pretty good from most of the authors; Dick Grayson reads particularly reminiscent of his Animated Series self, despite these stories h
With such a mix of stories there's definitely going to be ones that appeal to some but not others. More than half I liked though and it was worth getting it second hand
Beau Johnston
This is a fantastic collection of short stories. Your Batman library isn't complete if you don't have a copy. Neutral Ground was my favorite.
Dan Thomas
An instantly forgettable bunch of stories which simply fail to honour the character. Some start off promisingly but descend into dreck, others are non-starters.

The best story here, "The Batman Memos" is a novel approach to telling a Batman story, and while it's compelling throughout even this entry fails to stick the landing.

As an Asimov fan, I was disappointed that his contribution is cribbed from an old pulp crime anthology and really only a Batman story by a technicality. I suspect his "Nort
Rubin Carpenter
I love Batman. I love science fiction. I really thought this would be a great read. I mean, How can you go wrong with some of the best science fiction writers writing short stories about this awesome character? Obviously some of these writers should stick with what they know best and leave comic characters to the experts. Not that it was a bad book. Just had some dull stories that did nothing for the character. Surprisingly, the best shorts stories actually centered around Robin. I can't say tha ...more
Fourteen fun stories portraying the adventures of the Dark Knight from the forties to the late eighties. Each author takes a different spin on Batman from the campy Adam West Batman to a brooding Batman of the eighties after the second Robin's death. I liked each story and I highly suggest this collection to any Batman fan.
Pretty poor; even as a Batman fan I had real difficulty finishing it.

Andrew Bates
It was oh kay. Some of the stories were really good, especially the ones with Robin. A lot of the writers seem unfamiliar with the mythos, and to a certain extent if you are more familiar with the mythos than they are, you might find some of the more blunt commentary annoying--he's not a superhero! He's super prepared, except when he's surprised! His parents are dead! Etcetera. But generally, it's probably worth it. I didn't like Isaac Asimov's story when I first read it. Now that I've thought a ...more
I've been looking for this book forever. I have only a vague memory of the stories contained within. I must have purchased this sometime around when it came out, making me ten or eleven. I think I purchased it at a pharmacy. I remember an extremely dark and gruesome story with the Joker. The reading was a little difficult for me at that time. Actually, I remember something about his body, the Joker's, being crushed in gears and cogs? Now that I've found the book's proper title, I will read it ag ...more
I had this book as a kid, and I read it to death. I enjoyed parts of it as much as I did back then, but like any anthology, The Further Adventures of Batman is uneven.
Larry Kenney
I read this as a kid, and absolutely loved it. I was at a flee market right after college and came across the book again and snapped it right up. I enjoyed the stories just as much the second time. I love the dark and brutal Batman world that is portrayed in a lot of the stories. The story with Spring Heeled Jack is still one of my favorite short stories as well...
Seth Kenlon
This is a collection of short stories about Batman, each by a different author, with a different spin. It's an excellent volume, filled with a great variety of stories that you can read in one sitting each. Highly recommended if you're at all interested in Batman, or want to be interested in Batman.
I remember this book being really good, and very dark in some spots. The list of authors included is pretty eclectic, including a Batman story penned by the most prolific non-fiction science author of all time, Isaac Asimov. Talk about two of my favorite things rolled into one.
Sarah Sammis
It's a nice mixture of story telling styles and "eras" of Batman. One of my favorites in the group is the first story in the book as it thinks through all the work Bruce Wayne must go through to keep his separate identities apart.
Wildly uneven, The good stories are very good, the rest pretty blah.
The one set in 30's Hollywood was very clever.

Most of the writers seemed to have trouble with translating Batman from comics to prose.
Oct 23, 2013 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lounge
A random assortment of short stories about Batman. As with most short story compilations with various authors involved, it is hit and miss. Some were well told while others had me bored.
Couldn't get through it. Very boring.
Read this shortly after it hit the shelfs and loved the story's the Origin of the batmobile was the story that got me.
Loren Toddy
Great stories and who knew that so many good writers could spin a great Batman story.
Issac Asimov's short is the best.
Worth reading.
Kat marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
  • The Batman Murders
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
  • Batman: No Man's Land
  • Exterminators
  • DC Universe: Inheritance
  • Batman: Fear Itself
  • Batman: The Ultimate Evil
  • DC Universe: Helltown (Dc Universe)
  • Justice League of America/Batman: The Stone King
  • The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
  • Enemies & Allies
  • Batman/Houdini: The Devil's Workshop
  • Batman: Detective No. 27
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...

The Further Adventures of Batman (6 books)
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker
  • The Further Adventures of Batman Volume 2: Featuring the Penguin
  • The Further Adventures of Batman Volume 3: Featuring Catwoman
  • Tales of the Batman
  • Legends of the Batman
The Dean Koontz Companion Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Foundation's Friends Sherlock Holmes in America After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien