Start by marking “One knee equals two feet” as Want to Read:
One knee equals two feet

One knee equals two feet

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With anecdotes and observations, and a minumum of technical terms, Madden gives us an insider's view of the pains, pleasures, gossip, and people that make up America's favorite sport. Madden is a former lineman and head coach for the Oakland Raiders. Anderson is a Pulitzer Prize-winning sports columnist and author. HC: Random House. (Nonfiction)
Published October 1st 1987 by Jove (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about One knee equals two feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One knee equals two feet

This book by John Madden is really more about the sport of history than about John Madden. He tries to break down each of the positions and explain what each one does, some strategy about the kind of guy you need to play the position, and then chooses his 'best of all time' at the position.

I've only been following football much in the last few years, and now that I root for one team and can put a face to a position, I've started to make more sense of the game. But there's still stuff I just don
John Madden is no fan of my beloved Broncos (being a Raider for 10 years will do that to you), but I have always found him so very amusing. I remember watching a Thanksgiving game he was announcing and they had a turkey in the studio -- it had 6 legs. He circled each leg and counted them for the was just very funny.

As I do love watching football but am not really knowledgeable in it at all, I thought I would read this book when I ran across it at the library book sale.

Not sure t
Ted D
As much as I love reading Madden on football, there are a lot of repeated anecdotes here from earlier books. Hence the average rating.
Not Much new...actually a little dated
J. Alfred
A quote on the back of this book says "Spectacular! It reads like Madden speaks!" I certainly agree with one part of that quote.
The writing in this book would earn an A in my Freshman writing class, but if you have read any Freshman english papers lately, you might recognize this as the famed 'faint praise' with which snarky folks 'damn.' Even so, if you're a football fan, you'd probably like this book.
Mark Benford
I enjoyed listening to John Madden as an announcer, and the writing style is basically in the same voice. I like the fact that he only talks about players he either coached against or has seen a few times as an announcer, even if that does mean some of the greats of his time are left unmentioned in the book.

I think I like Frank Caliendo's John Madden even more than the real thing.
Gary Geiger
Madden before he became a one man industry. Almost as good as The Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football.
This book was an awesome read! My friend found it in a pile of trash and gave it to me as a joke, since I have no interest in sports. But I read the whole thing, and found it very accessible. Best of all, it has made football more watchable.
Elijah Predeoux
Jun 21, 2009 Elijah Predeoux marked it as to-read
i hope to learn the fundamentals to football and basic life style of john madden himself
Harry Saxon
Great book that shows the reasons to love American Football. Insightful
Everybody has an opinion. I expected more.
Mary Ann
A fun book for football fans of old.....
Brad Simpson
Brad Simpson marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Chuck Wallace
Chuck Wallace is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2015
Barry marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Charles Nalley
Charles Nalley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Snake
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • Catcher in the Wry
  • The Umpire Strikes Back
  • Bo Knows Bo
  • Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home
  • LT: Over the Edge: Tackling Quarterbacks, Drugs, and a World Beyond Football
  • I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It
  • My Favorite Summer 1956
  • Personal Foul
  • War Room
  • Tom Landry
  • Kiss It Good-Bye: The Mystery, the Mormon, and the Moral of the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero
  • Giant Steps: The Autobiography of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  • Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France
  • It's Only a Game
  • The Long Snapper: A Second Chance, a Super Bowl, a Lesson for Life
John Madden is a former American professional football player in the National Football League, a former head coach with the Oakland Raiders in the American Football League and later the NFL, and a former color commentator for NFL telecasts. In 2006, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in recognition of his coaching career. He is also widely known for the long-running Madden NFL vide ...more
More about John Madden...