Start by marking “One knee equals two feet” as Want to Read:
One knee equals two feet

One knee equals two feet

With anecdotes and observations, and a minumum of technical terms, Madden gives us an insider's view of the pains, pleasures, gossip, and people that make up America's favorite sport. Madden is a former lineman and head coach for the Oakland Raiders. Anderson is a Pulitzer Prize-winning sports columnist and author. HC: Random House. (Nonfiction)
Published October 1st 1987 by Jove (first published August 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about One knee equals two feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One knee equals two feet

Lani
Dec 30, 2011 Lani rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, non-fiction
This book by John Madden is really more about the sport of history than about John Madden. He tries to break down each of the positions and explain what each one does, some strategy about the kind of guy you need to play the position, and then chooses his 'best of all time' at the position.

I've only been following football much in the last few years, and now that I root for one team and can put a face to a position, I've started to make more sense of the game. But there's still stuff I just don
Angela
Dec 03, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok
John Madden is no fan of my beloved Broncos (being a Raider for 10 years will do that to you), but I have always found him so very amusing. I remember watching a Thanksgiving game he was announcing and they had a turkey in the studio -- it had 6 legs. He circled each leg and counted them for the audience....it was just very funny.

As I do love watching football but am not really knowledgeable in it at all, I thought I would read this book when I ran across it at the library book sale.

Not sure t
Lenny Husen
Jul 20, 2016 Lenny Husen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, the average rating on Good Reads is spot-on. I upgraded to 4 stars because the last couple of chapters were so good, where he talks about his style of coaching. I was fascinated because Leadership in general is so fabulously interesting--what works, what doesn't, personality of the Leader.
Most of this book, however, was like panning for gold, an occasional nugget with a whole lot of silt and water to sift through. Rambling, laundry lists of names of 1980's Football players, tangents
J. Alfred
Apr 26, 2011 J. Alfred rated it liked it
A quote on the back of this book says "Spectacular! It reads like Madden speaks!" I certainly agree with one part of that quote.
The writing in this book would earn an A in my Freshman writing class, but if you have read any Freshman english papers lately, you might recognize this as the famed 'faint praise' with which snarky folks 'damn.' Even so, if you're a football fan, you'd probably like this book.
Mark Benford
I enjoyed listening to John Madden as an announcer, and the writing style is basically in the same voice. I like the fact that he only talks about players he either coached against or has seen a few times as an announcer, even if that does mean some of the greats of his time are left unmentioned in the book.

I think I like Frank Caliendo's John Madden even more than the real thing.
Gina
Jul 25, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
This book was an awesome read! My friend found it in a pile of trash and gave it to me as a joke, since I have no interest in sports. But I read the whole thing, and found it very accessible. Best of all, it has made football more watchable.
Rambles
Apr 17, 2014 Rambles rated it liked it
As much as I love reading Madden on football, there are a lot of repeated anecdotes here from earlier books. Hence the average rating.
Elijah Predeoux
Jun 21, 2009 Elijah Predeoux marked it as to-read
i hope to learn the fundamentals to football and basic life style of john madden himself
Harry Saxon
May 15, 2013 Harry Saxon rated it really liked it
Great book that shows the reasons to love American Football. Insightful
Gary Geiger
Jan 02, 2014 Gary Geiger rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, football
Madden before he became a one man industry. Almost as good as The Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football.
Gerd Mueller
Gerd Mueller rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
W James
W James rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Matthew Wilson
Matthew Wilson rated it liked it
May 27, 2009
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Chuck Wallace
Chuck Wallace rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Jason Benjamin
Jason Benjamin rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Lewis M
Lewis M rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Brady
Brady rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Nikfa
Nikfa rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Eric Ours
Eric Ours rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2009
Thomas Henderson
Thomas Henderson rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Steve Isett
Steve Isett rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Ronald Broun
Ronald Broun rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Gary Hambley
Gary Hambley rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Marie C Munoz
Marie C Munoz rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Snake
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • Catcher in the Wry
  • The Umpire Strikes Back
  • Bo Knows Bo
  • Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home
  • The Mick
  • LT: Over the Edge: Tackling Quarterbacks, Drugs, and a World Beyond Football
  • I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It
  • Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims
  • Kiss It Good-Bye: The Mystery, the Mormon, and the Moral of the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates
  • War Room
  • Personal Foul
  • Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero
  • It's Only a Game
  • Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France
  • The Long Snapper: A Second Chance, a Super Bowl, a Lesson for Life
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
John Madden is a former American professional football player in the National Football League, a former head coach with the Oakland Raiders in the American Football League and later the NFL, and a former color commentator for NFL telecasts. In 2006, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in recognition of his coaching career. He is also widely known for the long-running Madden NFL vide ...more
More about John Madden...