Start by marking “Put the Book Back on the Shelf: A Belle and Sebastian Anthology” as Want to Read:
Put the Book Back on the Shelf: A Belle and Sebastian Anthology

Put the Book Back on the Shelf: A Belle and Sebastian Anthology

With their infectious brand of Scottish indie pop, Belle & Sebastian have been cult and critical favorites for years. The band's colorful lyrics and gorgeous, full bodied melodies have provided Image Comics with the inspiration for a new kind of comic anthology. With Put the Book Back on the Shelf, a stellar collection of independent comic creators and cartoonists put ...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Put the Book Back on the Shelf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Put the Book Back on the Shelf

Andrew Miller
Feb 22, 2015 Andrew Miller rated it liked it
I'm a huge B&S nerd so when my partner bought this book for me (which I hadn't previously heard about) I was incredibly touched by her thoughtfulness and resource for finding it. The book itself is a great piece of B&S fan-fiction (I think that's the best description) but as its own thing, well, it isn't great. I mean, the art is fantastic, and some of the pieces that have great art hung on the lyrics themselves are good, but with only a couple of exceptions, the stories that expand upon ...more
Thara
Jul 31, 2007 Thara rated it it was ok
If you're not a quasi or completely obsessed Belle & Sebastian fan, you should skip this. You should really skip it even if you are quasi or completely obsessed, but you won't... I know I didn't (even though I often forget this book exists). So, I'll just end this with a snarky/obvious pun: put the book back on the shelf (and walk away).
Dan
Mar 28, 2016 Dan rated it it was ok
Bunch of short stories based on songs from a band I have never heard of before.
Karen
2.5?

I'm struggling a tad on where to rate this. There are lots of very cool things about this book and I'm genuinely glad I picked it up because it was an interesting and unique reading experience. But in the end, I have to admit that the stories I disliked greatly outnumber the ones I enjoyed. I honestly don't think a single story in this collection can stand up on its own. So, yeah. A bit middling on this one.
Gregory
Oct 12, 2016 Gregory rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-bento
Put the Book Back on the Shelf is the equivalent of a pack of two dozen postcards of abstract modern art by shitty artists. The (very) short "stories" are apparently based on songs by Belle & Sebastian. Okay, sure. I'm not certain of who Belle & Sebastian are, but I'm promised "a collection of stories by independent comic creators and cartoonists. (...) crafting narratives inspired by the band's music" The problem is, very few of these are narratives or even stories. There is one good st ...more
Tom
Mar 06, 2016 Tom rated it liked it
I got this volume as part of a subscription box service, and probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. Due to a constant ringing in one year dating back to my childhood, I've never really developed much of an ear for music. As such, my knowledge of Belle and Sebastian begins and ends with knowing they are a Scottish Indy Pop duo.

Anyway, this book was done with a series of short stories inspired by their work. Most of it works out fine, but I couldn't help but think I might have enjoyed it more i
Whitney
Mar 07, 2016 Whitney rated it it was ok
This is a bunch of short comic stories based off of song lyrics. While an interesting concept, I didn’t feel that many of these stories were worth reading, particularly if you’re not a fan of the band in question. My problem with this book is that I’m incredibly particular about the style of graphic novel illustrations that I enjoy, and very few stories in this collection fit the bill. Now, that’s entirely on me, and I’d recommend you flip through yourself before deciding to nix the collection o ...more
Garren
Aug 05, 2014 Garren rated it it was ok
It was a mind-warping surprise finding this graphic novel on the shelf of a local book seller (Indigo Bridge). "This exists in my world?!" Belle & Sebastian was one of those bands I obsessed about and bought all their things. I feel that buying this new thing was worth it for the nostalgia and the sampler platter of graphic novel art styles in the many short stories. The ones that used song lyrics were decent to good. The ones that went for original stories, well, none of them appealed to me ...more
Velocity
Aug 24, 2014 Velocity rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I love strawberry jam. I also love onions. This book was like eating a strawberry marmalade and three kinds of onions (spring, red and white if you have to know) sandwich. Now, I don't condemn the idea behind the recipe -after all, I'm known to like weird stuff like ice cream with mustard and fries and comics like King of the Flies- but its execution. Could have been magnificent, unfortunately it falls short of substance. Ultimately it's a two-star, but gets one extra just cuz I'm a shameless fa ...more
Jul 26, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
i am sad to say that i was disappointed with this collection. i am huge b&s fan, and it was interesting to see where each artist and/or writer took a song, but somehow the whole thing came off as too quick. like there wasn't enough time to get into a story when suddenly it was over. also a lot of the stories seemed too angst-ridden and juvenile, much different than the feelings evoked in me when listening to the b&s songs.

there are some definite beauties in the anthology though, and i en
Beverly
Jan 01, 2009 Beverly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who aren't that into Belle and Sebastian
Recommended to Beverly by: absolutely everyone
Shelves: music
I was really disappointed by this book, but that was to be expected for me. I was already attached to the images I assigned to the songs that inspired the comics in this anthology. The characters in these graphic interpretations of Belle and Sebastian songs kind of help me understand why some people find it really easy to make fun of Belle and Sebastian. They're all these drippy, American-seeming emo kids. Feh.
The protagonists in the Belle and Sebastian songs in my head are scrappy, working-clas
Ginny
Apr 01, 2016 Ginny rated it liked it
Try as it might, this anthology doesn't capture the quirkiness of Belle and Sebastian, often relaying on the song lyrics in a way that seems too expository. Some stories are bleak and adult, but there is some creative and fun art in the bunch. If you like Belle and Sebastian already, you may find the different takes on the songs interesting, otherwise the mixed offerings might not be worth reading.

(Note: I almost gave this two stars, but giving it a quick second read-through made me realize I li
Ryan
Dec 05, 2007 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
a collection of comics from multiple writers and artists based on belle and sebastian songs, ranging from "tigermilk" to "dear catastrophe waitress". some are really good (marx and engels), some not so much (dog on wheels). the farther away the comics get from the actual lyrics, the better - minus "lazy line painter jane", but maybe i say that because it's one of my favorite songs. you can't expect me to be totally dispassionate.
Tyler
Dec 25, 2007 Tyler rated it liked it
It's hard for me to resist anything B&S-related, so I think I would probably like whatever they slapped between the covers of this books. Some of these comics seem to miss the point, the heavy-handed take on "If She Wants Me" being the most cringe-inducing example, but most of them are almost as funny, sweet and unassuming as the music that inspired them. My favorites: the gorgeous, dizzying "Fox In The Snow;" "Marx & Engels," (love those Godard references!); and "Nice Day For A Sulk."
Julie
Mar 16, 2016 Julie added it
I'm not going to rate this for the simple fact that I am not very familiar with Belle and Sebastian.I am not the target audience. That said, like most collections some are hit and some are miss. Obviously not the intended format for songs, this makes it extremely difficult to pull off but at the same time really interesting to examine.
Kate
May 06, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
Some creative writers and artists took Belle & Sebastian songs and made them into short stories in this graphic novel. My suggestion would be to sit yourself down, listen to the B&S song (the song list is the table of contents) and then read the story as portrayed in the graphic novel. Some of them are really good and some are not so good. But, it's a fun idea.
Caitlin
Mar 19, 2007 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: belle and sebastian fans
this book is awesome: they had all these artists write comics based on belle and sebastian songs. make a playlist of the table of contents and read on through; it's an experience. i wished it wasn't belle and sebastion, tho. radiohead would be better. those would be some apocalyptic comics.
Christian
Aug 06, 2014 Christian rated it it was ok
I love Belle & Sebastian and I love comics. This does justice to neither one. Everything is overly literal, and half the art is amateurish in a 'gaming web comic made in Paint' way, not a charming indie way. And there's no Mitch Clem! You're better off making your own Belle & Sebastian zine.
Northern K Sunderland
Aug 13, 2008 Northern K Sunderland rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Belle and Sebastian
Shelves: graphic-novels
Any time I hear these songs now, I see the stories unfold as the artists depicted them in this Volume.(particularly Piazza New York Cathcer)
I love Bell and Sebastian, and I thought the Illustrators did their songs Justice.
Ryan
Jun 21, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it
This book was average. Like any collection of interpretations some hit the mark and some left me wanting more. Some of the illustrations were great and some did not support the work. For any Belle and Sebastian fan it is worth the read, for others proceed at your own risk.
dirt
Jul 06, 2011 dirt rated it liked it
A few of the interpretations were too artsy fartsy/life is grim for me, but most of them portrayed the excitement for love and life that Belle and Sebastian capture so well in their songs.

Asleep on a Sunbeam was top notch. Kudos to Bannister and Corentin Jaffre.
Karen
Aug 05, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
Favorites: Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying; You Made Me Forget My Dreams

Song that I most wish had been in the anthology, but would have probably ended up disappointed by whatever the artists came up with: Judy and the Dream of Horses
Vikkat
May 13, 2008 Vikkat rated it really liked it
really sweet. some badly drawn, some disappointing, but there is a few that really make up for it. sweet sweet sweet
Kasey
Sep 16, 2007 Kasey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: b&s fans, pop art fans
Shelves: thebaddestbooks
An inspired little book. I loved the artwork. Not much substance (written word) but that didn't really matter to me.
John Besancon
Dec 16, 2008 John Besancon rated it liked it
some of the comics were good. a bit were odd, and some were just bad. the ones that stuck to the songs were the best. dog on wheels - oddest.
Eric Valliere
Jan 07, 2013 Eric Valliere rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read, I'd recommend it to any B&S fan! I listened along to the songs while reading and it was thoroughly enjoyable.
TLW
May 18, 2007 TLW rated it it was amazing
It's comics, based on belle &sebastian songs. Like this wouldn't be one of my favourite books...even non-b&s fans would enjoy it.
Emma Hall
Emma Hall rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2010
Rosie
Rosie rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
  • Rackham's Fairy Tale Illustrations
  • Feeding Frenzy
  • Making Polymer Clay Beads
  • Patti Smith 1969-1976
As Publisher for Image Comics, Eric Stephenson has helped foster the creator-owned projects of numerous bestselling writers and artists, including Robert Kirkman, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Jonathan Hickman, Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Kelly Sue DeConnick, and Brandon Graham, as well as a well-known pair of award magnets whose names rhyme with Frian and Biona. He is also the Eisner-nominated w ...more
More about Eric Stephenson...