Start by marking “Animal Stackers” as Want to Read:
Animal Stackers

Animal Stackers

The critically acclaimed and bestselling author of Going Down pairs words with quirky animals for this whimsical collection of poetry that blends genres in an unforgettable way. Illustrations.
Published March 28th 2005 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Animal Stackers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Stackers

Logan
Nov 02, 2010 Logan rated it it was ok
I got this book at Goodwill and it looked very cute. I absolutely love the illustrations and Logan did too. And I liked the idea, which is that each page is a little poems or phrases in which each line begins with the letters of the subject. For example, moth is:
My favorite
Old stoles have
Turned into
Holes.

The problem was that Logana couldn't really see how some of the poems related to their subjects and I had to admit that some of them required a lot of explanation. For example, Xiongmao:
Xi'an
Linda
Nov 15, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Two books in one! First, it's an alphabet book, featuring animals from A to Z. Second, it's poetry, each animal is introduced by an acrostic poem. The poems range from cute and succinct:
C an't wait to be
A lone in the house
T he sofa looks comfortable.
to rather rude (the Dragon poem features a bodily function)
Most of them are simply delightful.
And the illustrations, by David McPhail, are delightful, too.

Of course you'll want to try (and have your children try) writing some acrostic poems after re
Evan Williamson
Apr 01, 2012 Evan Williamson rated it really liked it
As reviewed by Drunken Hobo Chet
Whosa what now with this book? I’m flim flamed to wonder what was the though process behind making a book so full of nothin’, yet chock full of the jibba jabba. Let me tell ya what I’m talking about:

This book’s all messed up. See, what happened was the author and the illustrator went the Marvel approach with this, it seems to me, but don’t worry about that cause I’m a simple hobo. The rails are my lady and my lady is fine. What I mean to say is that they came up w
Jaclyn Kruljac
Mar 26, 2015 Jaclyn Kruljac rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Animal Stackers is a collection of acrostic poems about animals. I think that it would be a useful resource to teach beginning readers about animals or an introductory to poetry. It would be a useful mentor text when teaching acrostic style poems. The illustrations also add to the poems for young readers. I would recommend this book for primary age students, grades k-2. I did not like this book as much as other poetry picture books but I do think that it could be used in a poetry or animal unit.
Alice
Jan 08, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 Stars Really liked this book about 4 pages into it...then it became too much. I think if used one letter as a time for teaching or one letter a night for bed time it could be less overwhelming.. I like the concept. Making the words letters start each sentence
C an't Wait to Be
A lone in the house.
T he sofa looks comfortable

But I felt a tad overwhelmed! Still as an alphabet books I liked.
Tina
Oct 19, 2014 Tina rated it it was ok
Reading Level: Pre-K & Primary
Genre: Poetry
Review: This set of poems by Jennifer Belle are all set up in the acrostic style. The tough thing about acrostic poems is maintaining good writing while trying to start each line with a particular letter; this is even more difficult when writing for new readers. I felt that many of the poems didn't make much sense or have a very nice flow. However, this book does work wonders for learning letters.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jennifer Belle created something special here. Block letters spell out the names of 26 animals from A to Z, but the fun doesn't end there. Each animal name is also an acrostic poem. Many of the poems include a play on words or puts a twist on a classic fable or fairy tale.

McPhail's illustrations are fun and provide more explanation for some of the more complex poems.
Karen
Jan 25, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
This book features a brilliant concept and fantastic illustrations. The problem is, however, in the execution. It is not really written with children in mind and it shows.
Sonia
Oct 07, 2009 Sonia rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations. Works on the 'anagram' poetry where the first letter of each line spells a word vertically.
Dolly
Oct 10, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining alphabet book that blends acrostic poetry with fun, cartoonish illustrations. It's a short book and we really enjoyed reading the poems aloud.
Jim
Sep 23, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
beautiful book!!!
Dana White
Dana White rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
May 23, 2011
Marilyn Simon
Marilyn Simon rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Andy Morehouse
Andy Morehouse rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2014
Christopher Carroll
Christopher Carroll rated it liked it
May 22, 2011
Landon
Landon rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
May 22, 2013
Yana D.
Yana D. rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Suz
Suz rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2012
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Jayme Alvis
Jayme Alvis rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2012
Liberryjam
Liberryjam rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Bird
Bird rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2010
Kit Umscheid
Kit Umscheid marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2011
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Gabby
Gabby added it
Sep 03, 2013
Shauna
Shauna added it
Jan 24, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
Sep 16, 2014
Lee Dodson
Lee Dodson marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Joyce Madison
Joyce Madison marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Jul 17, 2015
An American novelist, based in New York City.

She attended Bronx High School of Science and dropped out of college. She has also written columns for Ms. magazine. In 2002, she married entertainment lawyer Andrew Krents, after they were introduced by fellow novelist Amy Sohn.

Her work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The New York Observer, London’s The Independent, Cosmopolitan, Harper’s
More about Jennifer Belle...