Animal Stackers

Animal Stackers

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The critically acclaimed and bestselling author of Going Down pairs words with quirky animals for this whimsical collection of poetry that blends genres in an unforgettable way. Illustrations.
Published March 28th 2005 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Animal Stackers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Stackers

Logan
I got this book at Goodwill and it looked very cute. I absolutely love the illustrations and Logan did too. And I liked the idea, which is that each page is a little poems or phrases in which each line begins with the letters of the subject. For example, moth is:
My favorite
Old stoles have
Turned into
Holes.

The problem was that Logana couldn't really see how some of the poems related to their subjects and I had to admit that some of them required a lot of explanation. For example, Xiongmao:
Xi'an...more
Linda
Two books in one! First, it's an alphabet book, featuring animals from A to Z. Second, it's poetry, each animal is introduced by an acrostic poem. The poems range from cute and succinct:
C an't wait to be
A lone in the house
T he sofa looks comfortable.
to rather rude (the Dragon poem features a bodily function)
Most of them are simply delightful.
And the illustrations, by David McPhail, are delightful, too.

Of course you'll want to try (and have your children try) writing some acrostic poems after re...more
Evan Williamson
As reviewed by Drunken Hobo Chet
Whosa what now with this book? I’m flim flamed to wonder what was the though process behind making a book so full of nothin’, yet chock full of the jibba jabba. Let me tell ya what I’m talking about:

This book’s all messed up. See, what happened was the author and the illustrator went the Marvel approach with this, it seems to me, but don’t worry about that cause I’m a simple hobo. The rails are my lady and my lady is fine. What I mean to say is that they came up w...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Unless you're using this to inspire your children or students to create acrostics (not stackers, not anagrams!!), skip it. The 'poems' do not have rhythm, rhyme, metaphor, or grace. The pictures are only ok. And why is the jaguar riding in a Rolls-Royce, not in a Jaguar? In fact, since your kids could create more charming acrostics themselves, let them, and skip this anyway. It could have been so much better.
Randie
Jennifer Belle created something special here. Block letters spell out the names of 26 animals from A to Z, but the fun doesn't end there. Each animal name is also an acrostic poem. Many of the poems include a play on words or puts a twist on a classic fable or fairy tale.

McPhail's illustrations are fun and provide more explanation for some of the more complex poems.
Dolly
Nov 07, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining alphabet book that blends acrostic poetry with fun, cartoonish illustrations. It's a short book and we really enjoyed reading the poems aloud.
Sonia
Very cute illustrations. Works on the 'anagram' poetry where the first letter of each line spells a word vertically.
Jim
beautiful book!!!
Deidra
Deidra added it
Sep 16, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Shauna
Shauna added it
Jan 24, 2014
Gabby
Gabby added it
Sep 03, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Kit Umscheid
Kit Umscheid marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2011
An American novelist, based in New York City.

She attended Bronx High School of Science and dropped out of college. She has also written columns for Ms. magazine. In 2002, she married entertainment lawyer Andrew Krents, after they were introduced by fellow novelist Amy Sohn.

Her work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The New York Observer, London’s The Independent, Cosmopolitan, Harper’s...more
More about Jennifer Belle...
High Maintenance Going Down Little Stalker The Seven Year Bitch Hilfe, Ich Falle Roman