Start by marking “Animal Stackers” as Want to Read:
Animal Stackers

Animal Stackers

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The critically acclaimed and bestselling author of Going Down pairs words with quirky animals for this whimsical collection of poetry that blends genres in an unforgettable way. Illustrations.
Published March 28th 2005 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Animal Stackers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Stackers

Logan
I got this book at Goodwill and it looked very cute. I absolutely love the illustrations and Logan did too. And I liked the idea, which is that each page is a little poems or phrases in which each line begins with the letters of the subject. For example, moth is:
My favorite
Old stoles have
Turned into
Holes.

The problem was that Logana couldn't really see how some of the poems related to their subjects and I had to admit that some of them required a lot of explanation. For example, Xiongmao:
Xi'an
Linda
Two books in one! First, it's an alphabet book, featuring animals from A to Z. Second, it's poetry, each animal is introduced by an acrostic poem. The poems range from cute and succinct:
C an't wait to be
A lone in the house
T he sofa looks comfortable.
to rather rude (the Dragon poem features a bodily function)
Most of them are simply delightful.
And the illustrations, by David McPhail, are delightful, too.

Of course you'll want to try (and have your children try) writing some acrostic poems after re
Jaclyn Kruljac
Animal Stackers is a collection of acrostic poems about animals. I think that it would be a useful resource to teach beginning readers about animals or an introductory to poetry. It would be a useful mentor text when teaching acrostic style poems. The illustrations also add to the poems for young readers. I would recommend this book for primary age students, grades k-2. I did not like this book as much as other poetry picture books but I do think that it could be used in a poetry or animal unit.
Evan Williamson
As reviewed by Drunken Hobo Chet
Whosa what now with this book? I’m flim flamed to wonder what was the though process behind making a book so full of nothin’, yet chock full of the jibba jabba. Let me tell ya what I’m talking about:

This book’s all messed up. See, what happened was the author and the illustrator went the Marvel approach with this, it seems to me, but don’t worry about that cause I’m a simple hobo. The rails are my lady and my lady is fine. What I mean to say is that they came up w
Tina
Reading Level: Pre-K & Primary
Genre: Poetry
Review: This set of poems by Jennifer Belle are all set up in the acrostic style. The tough thing about acrostic poems is maintaining good writing while trying to start each line with a particular letter; this is even more difficult when writing for new readers. I felt that many of the poems didn't make much sense or have a very nice flow. However, this book does work wonders for learning letters.
Alice
3.5 Stars Really liked this book about 4 pages into it...then it became too much. I think if used one letter as a time for teaching or one letter a night for bed time it could be less overwhelming.. I like the concept. Making the words letters start each sentence
C an't Wait to Be
A lone in the house.
T he sofa looks comfortable

But I felt a tad overwhelmed! Still as an alphabet books I liked.
Randie
Jennifer Belle created something special here. Block letters spell out the names of 26 animals from A to Z, but the fun doesn't end there. Each animal name is also an acrostic poem. Many of the poems include a play on words or puts a twist on a classic fable or fairy tale.

McPhail's illustrations are fun and provide more explanation for some of the more complex poems.
Dolly
Nov 07, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining alphabet book that blends acrostic poetry with fun, cartoonish illustrations. It's a short book and we really enjoyed reading the poems aloud.
Sonia
Very cute illustrations. Works on the 'anagram' poetry where the first letter of each line spells a word vertically.
Jim
beautiful book!!!
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Joyce Madison
Joyce Madison marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Lee Dodson
Lee Dodson marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
Sep 16, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Shauna
Shauna added it
Jan 24, 2014
Gabby
Gabby added it
Sep 03, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
An American novelist, based in New York City.

She attended Bronx High School of Science and dropped out of college. She has also written columns for Ms. magazine. In 2002, she married entertainment lawyer Andrew Krents, after they were introduced by fellow novelist Amy Sohn.

Her work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The New York Observer, London’s The Independent, Cosmopolitan, Harper’s
More about Jennifer Belle...
High Maintenance Going Down Little Stalker The Seven Year Bitch Hilfe, Ich Falle Roman