Start by marking “Ann and Her Mother” as Want to Read:
Ann and Her Mother

Ann and Her Mother

Published by Hodder and Stoughton (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Ann and Her Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ann and Her Mother

Lindsey
May 15, 2016 Lindsey rated it really liked it
One of Anna Buchan's Priorsford books, though Priorsford only appears tangentially. Originally published in 1921, I believe. It is a quiet, cozy story of a 30-something woman living in the isolated Scottish countryside with her aging mother, a minister's widow. To pass the lonely evenings, Ann decides to write her mother's 'Life' for the grandchildren.

The book plays out as the mother and Ann, and sometimes their long-serving servant, reminisce about family life in the past. The mother's story s
Peggy
Oct 08, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it
It's a small old, old book and I love the feel of it in my hands and the smell of it as I read. O. Douglas (Anna Buchan) books are always sweet, feel good reads and I always enjoy them immensely. This one was a little different as it really is Anna Buchan's autobiography thinly veiled as a piece of fiction. In this book she is Ann, the main character, who lives at 'Dreams', her lovely comfy home, with her old mother and two servants. One that has been with the family since she was a child. She ...more
Cera
Oct 13, 2008 Cera rated it it was ok
My least favourite of all the Buchan books; it's the story of Buchan's mother's life, framed as a fictional mother reminiscing with her daughter. It's not bad, but the device is clunky; I couldn't sympathise with the mother (because we're always seeing her through the daughter's eyes), and I couldn't sympathise with the daughter (because all she does is tease her mother & encourage her to tell stories). Autobiographical fiction often works well for me, but not this time.
Fenella Watson
May 30, 2014 Fenella Watson rated it it was ok
Shelves: greyladies
Perhaps if I'd known that it really was just Ann writing her mother's story of her life I would have thought differently. But I kept waiting for the book to 'start'.
For me also, this book is my least liked of all the O Douglas books. I will soon read the biography of Douglas and may find out that Ann and Her Mother is also autobiographical.
Katrina
Nov 06, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it
If you enjoy cosy comfort reads set in Scotland in the early 20th century then you'll probably enjoy this one. It's different from her other books as it's the life story of the author's mother and the Buchan family in general. It will be especially interesting to anyone who has links with Kirkcaldy, the Kirkcaple of the book.
Oolookitty
Oolookitty rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Nerina
Nerina rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Kirsty Sinclair
Kirsty Sinclair rated it did not like it
May 30, 2011
Jennifer Barden
Jennifer Barden rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Heidi Musgrave
Heidi Musgrave rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Margaret Maclean
Margaret Maclean rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Barb
Barb rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Stephanie Herron
Stephanie Herron rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Vee
Vee rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2009
Rosie Hopkins
Rosie Hopkins rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Barbara Simpson
Barbara Simpson rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Keely Taylor
Keely Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Avril
Avril rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Sheila Mclellan
Sheila Mclellan marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Tracey
Tracey added it
Oct 05, 2013
00 marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Marnie Wellar
Marnie Wellar marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Mairi Tingle
Mairi Tingle marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Mary McGregor
Mary McGregor marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jeremiah Jeremiah
Jeremiah Jeremiah marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
JennieM
JennieM is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2016
Born Anna Masterton Buchan, younger sister to the statesman & prolific novelist John Buchan. She began writing in 1911, and published 12 novels and a personal memoir of her brother before her death. Her novels are humorous domestic fiction, focusing on the lives of families in Scotland. Her autobiography was published posthumously, in 1960.
More about O. Douglas...