Start by marking “In the Dark: The True Story of the Blackout Ripper” as Want to Read:
In the Dark: The True Story of the Blackout Ripper

In the Dark: The True Story of the Blackout Ripper

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In 1942, while the Luftwaffe bombed London and its citizens fled underground, a killer emerged from the shadows to satisfy his inner darkness. Over a five-day period, "The Blackout Ripper" murdered with a lightning-fast ferocity that stunned and baffled investigators. Original.
Published November 7th 2006 by Berkley (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Kay
Lauren
This book was... ok, I guess. It was quite boring, lackluster, dull even. The information was interesting, but there were a lot of details that were unnecessary and took away from the important information. The reader doesn't need the history of the man in charge of the fingerprint department. He or she doesn't need to know about the mill and the eels when he was a kid. Also, if you're going to delve into the details of how one Bobby worked his way up, you should do it for all involved with the ...more
Jerry Smith
I have to declare an interest in this type of account. I am a normal guy, seriously, but in a similar way to the fly leaf describes the author Simon Read, I am fascinated by true crime stories such as this. I know that's kind of weird but there we are.

The story of Cummins is interesting in this regard since he is actually not well known in the sordid panoply of serial killers, largely because his crimes (which were horrendous, vile and I thought covered well in this book) took place against the
Kristine
I had not heard of the WWII Ripper in London until I came across this book at my swap club. The crimes were very similar to Jack the Ripper's, although, this time, they caught the culprit. Fascinating study of forensics used to capture him.
♥ Marlene♥
Finished this yesterday. a quick read but i have to say i was disappointed. Because of the raving reviews on amazon I had expected a great read but like the other reviewer mentioned, most of it was quite boring to read. Indeed it seems all were taken from transcripts. It is not bad but not great either. I missed the emotional touch in this book probably because most of it was taken from Scotland Yard's files.
I have read other historical true crime books were the author did manage to make it more
Paula
First true crime I've read in quite a while, but it was really good. It's about a British RAF soldier who went on a Jack the Ripper-like murdering spree during a six day period in 1942 London. I really enjoyed it!
Lauren
Another true crime book by Simon Read. Again, an easy read that keeps your attention and draws you in.
Rosemarie
I thought this book was great with the war as a back drop.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Icetea
Icetea marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Diana Olsen
Diana Olsen marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Fulguirinas
Fulguirinas marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Mario Diaz
Mario Diaz marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Deb H
Deb H marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Madison Dugger
Madison Dugger marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Michael Bull
Michael Bull marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm the author of six non-fiction books that deal with some of history's stranger episodes. Penguin will release my next book, HUMAN GAME, in October.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy reading (naturally), messing about on the piano, listening to classic British rock, and searching for good English pubs (I live in California, where such drinking establishments can sometimes be hard to find).

Please fee
More about Simon Read...
Human Game: The True Story of the 'Great Escape' Murders and the Hunt for the Gestapo Gunmen War of Words: A True Tale of Newsprint and Murder On the House: The Bizare Killing of Michael Malloy The Blackout Murders: The Compelling True Story Human Game: Hunting the Great Escape Murderers