Start by marking “The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)

The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  881 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

Fatbrain Review With a hands-on approach to studying, this best-selling guide explains TCP/IP protocols. In eight chapters, it provides the most thorough coverage of TCP available. It also covers the newest TCP/IP features, including multicasting, path MTU discovery and long fat pipes.

The author describes various protocols, including ARP, ICMP and UDP. He utilizes networ

Published January 10th 1993 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about The Protocols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Protocols

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanThe Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set by Donald Ervin KnuthDesign Patterns by Erich Gamma
Essential Books of Computer Science
11th out of 155 books — 146 voters
Health Guide by Mahatma GandhiThe Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma GandhiThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1 by Donald Ervin KnuthThe Art of Computer Programming, Volume 2 by Donald Ervin Knuth
My List Books
79th out of 90 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

John
Oct 05, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Didn't understand TCP/IP very well (despite a college-level networking course) before reading this book. Now I am basically like Neo in the Matrix.
Casper Gasper
Jun 21, 2010 Casper Gasper rated it it was amazing
Still one of the best books to read and study for networking, despite it's age. To give you one idea how old this book is, there is a section towards the end that lists other TCP services and there's a few lines on a new application called the World Wide Web :-)
Nevertheless, it's surprising how little has changed -- highly recommended for anyone who's involved with networks.
Shailesh
Feb 24, 2010 Shailesh rated it it was amazing
The first technical book I read. There is no better introduction to Network Protocols for beginners - both for technical and non-technical folks. I absolutely loved it and my love affair with network continues ......
Pete
Mar 30, 2013 Pete rated it it was amazing
If you really want to understand the TCP/IP protocol buy this book. To go even deeper get volume 2 which discusses the actual code implementation
Allisonperkel
Jan 17, 2009 Allisonperkel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
if there is a bible for tcp/ip programming this would be it
Kai
May 29, 2015 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
Another example of a book about computer technology that is outdated and a good read at once. The middle layers of network technology are described in minute detail, at just the right level of abstraction. This book (originally published in around 1994 I think) predates the advent of something like search engines for the WWW by years, and yet all the technologies described are still relevant today - or at least still working under the hood of other things. ifconfig, tcpdump, arp are commands tha ...more
Wbenetti
Dec 07, 2007 Wbenetti rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: networking professionals
This book is essential for anyone who needs to understand TCP/IP and related protocols. This includes network engineers. Yes, you. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that you know all about routing protocols and what else is there to running routers besides that and ACLs? Well, you're wrong and you should feel bad for thinking that. Lots of stuff goes across routers, this post, my last Amazon order. All of it uses fundamentals covered in this book, and understanding how the transport l ...more
Vivek Kumar
Jun 06, 2016 Vivek Kumar is currently reading it
I picked this up because I still don't know the in and out of Internet. Good to read, because this book explain the concepts with the tools provided on Unix/Linux machine.
Ivan Idris
Jan 09, 2012 Ivan Idris rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic textbook about different network protocols. The protocols are illustrated using the output of tcpdump and other utilities. Protocols discussed include:

IP
TCP
SNMP
FTP
SMTP

Beside the protocols several diagnostic tools such as ping and traceroute are covered in detail. The book contains lots of diagrams, that illustrate the protocols even further. Each chapter ends with exercises. The solutions of some of those exercises can be found in the bo
Natalie
Jul 04, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Hands down this is the best TCP/IP book - it's a classic. LOVE IT!! YAY!!
Victor Camean
Jun 19, 2016 Victor Camean rated it it was amazing
The bible of networking. Absolute reference. Quite readable!
Dhinakaran
Jun 03, 2012 Dhinakaran rated it it was amazing
I read this book for my Internetworking subject in my master's. It is a lovely book, I fell in deep love with networking after reading this book. This is a great book for someone who wants to master networking concepts. Apart from the theoretical presentation, the example scenario will imprint the working principles of each networking protocol in your heart. I again it will be imprinted in your heart. It will never leave from your memories. I love this book.

Jon Swanson
Apr 04, 2012 Jon Swanson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, nonfiction
Best technical writing I've ever read.

Stevens starts at the bottom of the networking stack and works the way up, explaining each component in a way that is both detailed and interesting. Each chapter is filled with lucid examples and makes you understand how all of the pieces come together.

It's an older book, but still very relevant. Have yet to find a better text on the fundamentals of networking.
Indranil Mondal
Good book...but dated...hence quite confusing too....
Nicholas
Jan 12, 2014 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Always a nice read, altough it's starting to show its age
Jon
Apr 09, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
Foundational for those in the IT Network industry or related fields. Very technical and comprehensive. I skimmed over it, but will likely come back to it between projects.
David
Sep 17, 2013 David rated it liked it
The classic text. It both stands the test of time, and is also out of date (yeah, I know that doesn't make sense). I recommend Kozierok's TCP/IP Guide as a worthy successor.
Plamen
May 01, 2011 Plamen rated it really liked it
The book gives good understanding about basic network protocols (especially TCP). It is quite old and there are many new working protocols today which are not included.
Shakesbear8
Jul 20, 2011 Shakesbear8 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech-book
Good reference book, nicely written and easily to understand, definitely must-read book for understanding network protocol and very handy to pick up whenever you need.
David
Sep 28, 2010 David added it
This is one of the most important books for anyone working with Internet protocols to read.
Dave Peticolas
Oct 08, 2014 Dave Peticolas rated it really liked it
W. Richard Stevens: still the gold standard for computer texts.
Vrkdeekshith
May 10, 2013 Vrkdeekshith rated it it was amazing
Soh Kam Yung
Dec 30, 2013 Soh Kam Yung rated it really liked it
You want to know about TCP/IP? Get this book.
Kurt
Jun 07, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it
compulsory reading to work on the internet.
Dedy
Aug 26, 2009 Dedy added it
this what I need to learn TCP/IP
Vipul Ved Prakash
Jul 23, 2012 Vipul Ved Prakash rated it it was amazing
A very rewarding book to read.
Craig Curtin
Jul 30, 2008 Craig Curtin rated it it was amazing
great networking book
Lelik_smith
Jun 09, 2011 Lelik_smith is currently reading it
I've just added it.
João Freitas
João Freitas marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
NVIDIA Helsinki
NVIDIA Helsinki marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • ANSI Common Lisp
  • UNIX Power Tools

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »