The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)

The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Fatbrain Review With a hands-on approach to studying, this best-selling guide explains TCP/IP protocols. In eight chapters, it provides the most thorough coverage of TCP available. It also covers the newest TCP/IP features, including multicasting, path MTU discovery and long fat pipes.

The author describes various protocols, including ARP, ICMP and UDP. He utilizes networ

Published January 10th 1993 by Addison-Wesley Professional

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenThe  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt
Essential Books of Computer Science
12th out of 139 books — 79 voters
Health Guide by Mahatma GandhiGenerating All Trees History Of Combinatorial Generation by Donald Ervin KnuthSelected Writings by Mahatma GandhiIdeas and Opinions by Albert EinsteinOn Non-Violence by Mahatma Gandhi
My List Books
79th out of 90 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Joecolelife
Mar 16, 2014 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
How can you tell that "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 - The Protocols" by Richard Stevens is the definitive book on TCP/IP? Even after 10 years, this book, having been written in 1994, is still considered to be one of the top, if not the top, rated books on TCP/IP. Not only does this book deserve credit, but his companion book - "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2 - The Implementation", which came out in 1995, is also highly favored. If you go to your friendly neighborhood bookstore, you are most likely...more
Casper Gasper
Still one of the best books to read and study for networking, despite it's age. To give you one idea how old this book is, there is a section towards the end that lists other TCP services and there's a few lines on a new application called the World Wide Web :-)
Nevertheless, it's surprising how little has changed -- highly recommended for anyone who's involved with networks.
Shailesh
The first technical book I read. There is no better introduction to Network Protocols for beginners - both for technical and non-technical folks. I absolutely loved it and my love affair with network continues ......
Pete Jarvis
If you really want to understand the TCP/IP protocol buy this book. To go even deeper get volume 2 which discusses the actual code implementation
John
Oct 05, 2012 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: work
Didn't understand TCP/IP very well (despite a college-level networking course) before reading this book. Now I am basically like Neo in the Matrix.
Allisonperkel
if there is a bible for tcp/ip programming this would be it
Wbenetti
Dec 07, 2007 Wbenetti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: networking professionals
This book is essential for anyone who needs to understand TCP/IP and related protocols. This includes network engineers. Yes, you. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that you know all about routing protocols and what else is there to running routers besides that and ACLs? Well, you're wrong and you should feel bad for thinking that. Lots of stuff goes across routers, this post, my last Amazon order. All of it uses fundamentals covered in this book, and understanding how the transport l...more
Ivan Idris
This is a fantastic textbook about different network protocols. The protocols are illustrated using the output of tcpdump and other utilities. Protocols discussed include:

IP
TCP
SNMP
FTP
SMTP

Beside the protocols several diagnostic tools such as ping and traceroute are covered in detail. The book contains lots of diagrams, that illustrate the protocols even further. Each chapter ends with exercises. The solutions of some of those exercises can be found in the bo...more
Dave Peticolas
W. Richard Stevens: still the gold standard for computer texts.
Dhinakaran
I read this book for my Internetworking subject in my master's. It is a lovely book, I fell in deep love with networking after reading this book. This is a great book for someone who wants to master networking concepts. Apart from the theoretical presentation, the example scenario will imprint the working principles of each networking protocol in your heart. I again it will be imprinted in your heart. It will never leave from your memories. I love this book.

Jon Swanson
Best technical writing I've ever read.

Stevens starts at the bottom of the networking stack and works the way up, explaining each component in a way that is both detailed and interesting. Each chapter is filled with lucid examples and makes you understand how all of the pieces come together.

It's an older book, but still very relevant. Have yet to find a better text on the fundamentals of networking.
Nicholas
Always a nice read, altough it's starting to show its age
Jon
Foundational for those in the IT Network industry or related fields. Very technical and comprehensive. I skimmed over it, but will likely come back to it between projects.
David
The classic text. It both stands the test of time, and is also out of date (yeah, I know that doesn't make sense). I recommend Kozierok's TCP/IP Guide as a worthy successor.
Plamen
The book gives good understanding about basic network protocols (especially TCP). It is quite old and there are many new working protocols today which are not included.
Shakesbear8
Good reference book, nicely written and easily to understand, definitely must-read book for understanding network protocol and very handy to pick up whenever you need.
David
Sep 28, 2010 David added it
This is one of the most important books for anyone working with Internet protocols to read.
Vrkdeekshith
Kam-Yung Soh
You want to know about TCP/IP? Get this book.
Kurt
compulsory reading to work on the internet.
Dedy
Aug 26, 2009 Dedy added it
this what I need to learn TCP/IP
Vipul Ved Prakash
A very rewarding book to read.
Keith
Required reading. For nerds, anyway.
Craig Curtin
great networking book
Josiah
very comprehensive
Lelik_smith
Jun 09, 2011 Lelik_smith is currently reading it
I've just added it.
David Baron
David Baron marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Understanding the Linux Kernel, Third Edition
  • Computer Networks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Advanced Programming in the Unix (R) Environment UNIX Network Programming: Networking APIs: Sockets and XTI; Volume 1 Unix Network Programming, Volume 1: The Sockets Networking API UNIX Network Programming, Volume 2: Interprocess Communications, Second Edition TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 3: TCP for Transactions, HTTP, NNTP, and the UNIX Domain Protocols