Blackbird - Acting Edition

Blackbird - Acting Edition

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Fifteen years ago Una and Ray had a relationship. They haven't set eyes on each other since. Now, years later, she's found him again...
Published January 2nd 2008 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (first published May 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird - Acting Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird - Acting Edition

Patrick
Disturbing, dramatic, intelligent, and manipulative. The drama pulls to the point that the tension is visible between the text. The action is engrossing enough on the page, but with a pair of brilliant actors, the effect on stage could be explosive.
Briggitte Suastegui
So surprising. The language was a little hard to follow at first, but then as the plot progressed, the more clear it got. The subject matter was intense and not what I expected at all, but I ended up loving it. Such a weird, awesome, passionate, play.
Lorma Doone
Ridiculously manipulative. You think you know what's going on, and then BOOM! Yeah, I loved it. No, I didn't love it - I appreciated it.
Duncan
This is a very disturbing play. We saw it twice, once at the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick and again two months later at the Stephen Joseph Theatre in Scarborough. Both were the same production and main cast: Ray played by Peter MacQueen and Una by Janine Hales. The former production was traverse and the latter in the round. To be honest the traverse version, being the first one we saw, was most harrowing. The play asks many questions and allows us, the audience, to provide some of the answers...more
Sarah-Ruth
I love the intensity of this play. It's very compelling, haunting and daring. The writing style executed on paper reminds me almost of a bird chirping. The subject matter is deeply disturbing, yet this is a very important and poignant piece that tests the waters of relationships with what we conceive as predators. I would've loved to see Jeff Daniels in the original role of Ray in NYC. This play is mind blowing and a piece of work that will stay with me.
Janie
Why I read this:
- I want to read a play every month this year.
- The cover. (Yes. Don't judge...) It was bound in a drink-me pink and I liked the title. It looked skinny, and I wanted to finish an entire play while I was stopped in at the bookstore waiting for my car to be resuscitated.

What to eat with it:
- Dick's.

Joinder:
- I was so excited to be reading a play that my enjoyment of this one was (dis)proportionately heightened.
- First it lets you be comfortable about your responses to its controv...more
Grace Turner
Very disturbing. Beautifully structured.
Jesse
Quick but very heavy read.
Stephanie
Celia
A little hard at first to get the "music" of the play because it is written in a unique format, but a very intense and emotional play. Not for the faint of heart!
Jeff
Fascinating play with a dynamic that shifts and changes with each exchange. There is a stark musicality to the language that I found amazingly compelling.
amber
This is another play that is much better live then on paper, live you really get caught up in the drama of it all on paper it reads a little flat.
Rhiannon
I would really love to see this one live.
Tati
Tati marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kicking_k
Kicking_k marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
Aug 12, 2014
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jul 16, 2014
Djanika
Djanika marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Aura
Aura added it
Jul 08, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Chrysalids Knives in Hens A Slow Air Kill the Old, Torture the Young Presence