Start by marking “The Wheel of Life: The Autobiography of a Western Buddhist” as Want to Read:
The Wheel of Life: The Autobiography of a Western Buddhist

The Wheel of Life: The Autobiography of a Western Buddhist

The Wheel of Life is the spiritual autobiography of John Blofeld (1913-1987), a world-renowned British scholar and writer who devoted his life to the study of Eastern traditions, especially Buddhism and Taoism. With wit, honesty, and humility, Blofeld portrays his search for wisdom and his discovery of a genuine spiritual path. He describes in vivid detail his life in Pek ...more
Published November 28th 1988 by Shambhala (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Wheel of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wheel of Life

Flowquietly
Oct 18, 2008 Flowquietly rated it liked it
seems an interesting read - right up my street
Patricia
I first read this book when a student of Chinese religion several decades ago, but spotted it again last week while searching for another book on the Buddhist concept of hell. I don't know why I took it down and began to leaf through it, then sat down to read it again over the past few days, but am so glad I did.

First of all, despite its title The Wheel of Life and cover photo, the work has little to do with the Buddhist concept of hell, but rather with life itself--in this case, the life of it

Peter Certo
Feb 17, 2014 Peter Certo rated it really liked it
fascinating portrait of buddhist life in pre-war china and mid-century asia. ahead of its time, it delves deeply into buddhism and the east before the counterculture and subsequent generations of yuppies made it fashionable for westerners, yet the author is possessed of a distinctly archaic, late-imperial british orientalism. it's also an interesting and sympathetic portrait of a spiritual traveler who is incredibly earnest and adventurous when it comes to seeking out temples and teachers but sl ...more
Jane
I studied under dr blofield in the 1980's but did not discover this book until after his death. The description of his spiritual journey and the way of life in China pre communist was amazing!
Likewise India, Sikkim, etc. I found myself RIGHT THERE with his great descriptions and thoughtful details. I would give this book 20 stars if I could.
Eddie
Aug 18, 2010 Eddie rated it it was amazing
This book lacked a certain passion but was still a very intelligent and enjoyable book by one of the west' foremost writers on Buddhism. Blofeld visited China and Tibet before the Maoist revolution and offers much in those terms.
Huy Nguyen
Nov 23, 2016 Huy Nguyen rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
If you like the book "Journey to the East" by Baird T. Spalding, you might want to read this book too.
Marcia
Jan 21, 2014 Marcia rated it it was amazing
A wonderful narrative that not only educated me about Buddhism (and I knew nothing about it!), but also had detailed, vivid descriptions of now-lost times and places.
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2008
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
John
John rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Jeroen
Jeroen rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Greg Ripley
Greg Ripley rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
tuongwalden
tuongwalden rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Keith Chilson
Keith Chilson rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Owen Shilling
Owen Shilling rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2011
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Chong Go
Chong Go rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Elrond
Elrond rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Carrol Moonshadow
Carrol Moonshadow rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
David Gould
David Gould rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Michael A. Sherbon
Michael A. Sherbon rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Huyen Ngoc
Huyen Ngoc rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
John Eaton Calthorpe Blofeld was a British writer on Asian thought and religion, especially Taoism and Chinese Buddhism.
More about John Blofeld...