Start by marking “The Smart Mother's Guide to a Better Pregnancy: How to Minimize Risks, Avoid Complications, and Have a Healthy Baby” as Want to Read:

2.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  9 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
From conception to birth and beyond, this helpful guide teaches expectant mothers and fathers how to avoid preventable medical errors and have a successful childbirth experience. The guide includes tips on how to investigate healthcare providers, what to insist on for a high-risk pregnancy, how to recognize and avoid labor-room problems, why "keepsake ultrasounds" are dang ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Red Flags Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Smart Mother's Guide to a Better Pregnancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smart Mother's Guide to a Better Pregnancy

Jessica
Oct 04, 2014 Jessica marked it as aborted-efforts
Shelves: chicklits, breeding
Maybe this confirms what we've all suspected about my level of intelligence, but this book was not for me. I didn't actually read it, just checked it out of the library and flipped it open to some story about a woman whose fetus had stopped moving, and it turned out it had died. She wound up suing her doctor or something because I guess if they'd taken appropriate action in time everything might've been fine? I guess the book's premise is that if you know every single thing that could go wrong w ...more
Kayla
May 20, 2009 Kayla rated it did not like it
Let's all just worry about things we can't control.
Erica
Feb 23, 2014 Erica rated it liked it
I thought this book was full of useful information, specifically about how to avoid (what you can) complications; especially those arising from mistakes made by health care professionals and administrators. However this book takes a religious tone that makes me uncomfortable. While I respect that this is often a spiritual journey, it isn't for everyone.
Angela Maher
Feb 13, 2013 Angela Maher rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There is some good info in this book, but there is also a lot about problems and complications most expectant mothers won't need to deal with. Although knowledge is power, reading this could make people unnecessarily anxious, which is not healthy. It's perhaps a better book for mothers in a high-risk category, rather than the general population.
It also often refers to medical care, etc, that is U.S. specific, so large chunks aren't that useful to people in other countries.
Karisa
Oct 10, 2010 Karisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Too much of this information did not seem applicable to me, since I have already chosen my mother-in-law for my prenatal care & delivery and am completely comfortable with that decision... it seems like this might be a helpful book for someone who is less confident in their provider, or who is having trouble choosing someone. As for me, I read only about the first half of this book, and decided my time would be better spent on something else.
Monica
Apr 15, 2009 Monica rated it it was ok
Lots of scary facts but useful advice.
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Rheena
Rheena added it
Jan 17, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Sarina
Sarina added it
Jun 29, 2014
Amy Bell
Amy Bell rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Melissa Nelson
Melissa Nelson rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2010
Brie
Brie rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2009
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2009
Kathy Fredrickson
Kathy Fredrickson marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2009